PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing MCX 2010 and ballast tanks???

GregS
09-26-2011, 08:24 PM
I just wanted to check on what I should do to winterize our boat. It will be in a garage over the winter....and it should not see freezing temps. Have hard and the plug and play system.

Jerseydave
09-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Engine: some people just drain everything and leave the drain plugs out until spring.
After changing the oil and trans fluid and adding sta-bil to the fuel, I run mine up to temp, drain it and refill the block with -50 purple marine a/f. Remove spark plugs and fog engine.

Ballast: after you empty as much water out as you can, pour some pink RV a/f into the tanks using the overflow hoses/ports. Turn the pumps on "empty" until pink a/f comes out. Done.

Don't forget your heater and shower if you have those.

There are other threads on here with a lot more detail of how to winterize. There are other items that may need attention, like your impeller, batteries, etc. If you have a heated garage you're way ahead of most people.

BTW, I know a guy in PA who never winterizes his boat. His garage is heated, and if we get a nice day here in December, Jan, or Feb he takes it out for a run with a dry suit! :D

GregS
10-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I put a gallon in each hard tank and in each soft tank...turned the pump on till some pink fluid came out.

Kell
10-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Don't forget your heater and shower if you have those.

Dave,any advice on how to do the heater and shower with RV antifreeze?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

bturner2
10-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Heater
I pull the hose off the top of the block then use my compressor at 35lbs and blow the line. You'll hear the water draining back into the block from the return hose. When all you hear is air the heater core should be clear of all water. I then use a funnel and pour -50 marine antifreeze into the hose until it won't take anymore. To make sure there's antifreeze in the heater core I hit the line with air again until I hear antifreeze returning to the block and then fill the line one more time. I know this sounds like a lot of work but when you're actually doing it, it only takes like 15 minutes.

Shower
I fill a bucket with a gallon of RV antifreeze. I pull both lines going from the engine and put them in the bucket. I then run the shower with both hot and cold valves wide open and the shower head pointing into the bucket. The shower pump will draw the antifreeze through both lines and through the entire system. When the water coming out of the shower head is the same color as the antifreeze in the bucket you're done. The hardest part here is getting the lines off. Another 15 - 20 minute job. 30 minutes if you have trouble getting the line off.