PDA

View Full Version : '79 S&S gas tank

sam196370
09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
So I'm determined to get this thing going strong, seems like I have the drivetrain straight and the hull is water tight - so got towed back to ramp the other weekend and it was a fuel issue. After inspecting it seems that the barbed nozzle that attaches the fuel line to the fuel tank is busted - plumbers tape, rubber cement, carb cleaner...nothing did the trick (ran great when I dunked gas line in full gas can. So where would I start looking to find a replacement gas tank that won't require me to do a bunch of knucklebreaking modifications?

Thanks!

AZDave
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
You may be able to get a stainless fitting for this

thatsmrmastercraft
09-26-2011, 12:20 PM
My '77 measures 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 x 46. This Moeller from Overtons measures 10.25 x 10.19 x 47. It may fit.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=39533&pdesc=Moeller_19_Gallon_Marine_Fuel_Tank_10_25W_47 L_10_19D&aID=601R2&merchID=4006

sam196370
09-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Thank you - this tank has annoyed me since I got the boat, the filler neck is around 1.75in when it seems ALL others are 1.5, the tank is aluminum and I don't want to ever have to deal with getting rid (even temprorarily) of 12 gallons of fuel...anyone in SE CT who wants 12 free gallons of PREMIUM gas....I'll provide the siphon pump and filter....

sam196370
09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
and of course this filler neck is located on the richt side of the boat - is relocating the neck on these tanks a common practice?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Can't imagine how that got passed me. You might check with Moeller. http://www.moellermarine.com/

sam196370
10-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Ended up bringing tank to radiator/gas tank repair shop - spent hours @ Home Depot, Car Quest & West Marine and since the 90 degree outlet from tank was threaded inside (toward bottom of tank) I was able to get a 1/4 barbed fitting to thread in which after intentially rounding the edges fit in the threaded hole in tank - was going to zip tie on a tube leading to bottom of tank and thread in 90 degree fitting. Put lots of thread locker on all threads and put pieces together, left it on trailer to dry. Went to find hill so I could get (a lot) of water out of bilge and my completed problem solving piece fell off somewhere - if that kind of stuff didn't happen to me all the time I would have been less patient.....I think it's fate telling me to do the job right; once!

thatsmrmastercraft
10-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Ended up bringing tank to radiator/gas tank repair shop - spent hours @ Home Depot, Car Quest & West Marine and since the 90 degree outlet from tank was threaded inside (toward bottom of tank) I was able to get a 1/4 barbed fitting to thread in which after intentially rounding the edges fit in the threaded hole in tank - was going to zip tie on a tube leading to bottom of tank and thread in 90 degree fitting. Put lots of thread locker on all threads and put pieces together, left it on trailer to dry. Went to find hill so I could get (a lot) of water out of bilge and my completed problem solving piece fell off somewhere - if that kind of stuff didn't happen to me all the time I would have been less patient.....I think it's fate telling me to do the job right; once!

Definitely the wrong kind of luck.