PDA

View Full Version : Gas Guage Question

kjohnson
09-26-2011, 09:56 AM
My guage reads 1/4 tank no matter how much gas is in the tank. I actually went out yesterday thinking I had a 1/4 tank and ran out of gas and had to be towed back in. I think the fuel sending unit is bad but realize it could also be the guage. Anybody ever have this problem or think they know which part is bad?

hragsarkissian
09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
mine is always stuck on full (X25). Occasionally it comes back to life, but otherwise always indicates full on the gauge, and the BIG. I'm pretty sure its the sending unit. I'm assuming the sensor is of the floating type and somehow got stuck. Any ideas?

epnault
09-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Ok struggled with this last year until I leanered how to recalibrate the sending unit. My boat is a bit newer so I don't think we have the same type. Sender units are fairly cheap but I bet you just need to recalibrate it. I know others with your year boat will be able to help

gatorguy
09-26-2011, 10:05 AM
I have the "full" version. If I unplug it it goes to empty. I tried to fix it, but it was not the type with the big float that is in the FAQ section. It is a tube about the diameter of a pencile, and it is rivited to the head of the sending unit. Any ideas besides buy a new one?

kjohnson
09-26-2011, 10:20 AM
I just talked to Discount Inboard Marine. To check the sending unit, you disconnect one of the wires and touch it to the other one with the switch on. If the guage is working, it will "peg out" at full and that means the sending unit is bad. If it does not move the wiring or the guage is bad. I am goint to test the sending unit this afternoon.

epnault
09-26-2011, 10:20 AM
On the top of your sender is there a couple of brass screws?

kjohnson
09-26-2011, 10:21 AM
On the top of your sender is there a couple of brass screws?
I have not looked at it yet, so I'm not sure. Why?

east tx skier
09-26-2011, 10:22 AM
I'll bet a shiny nickle it's your sending unit.

kjohnson
09-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Don't want to bet because I think you are right and it would be like Vegas (no chance of winning). I'm going to test this afternoon. I'll let you know.

kjohnson
09-26-2011, 10:27 AM
mine is always stuck on full (X25). Occasionally it comes back to life, but otherwise always indicates full on the gauge, and the BIG. I'm pretty sure its the sending unit. I'm assuming the sensor is of the floating type and somehow got stuck. Any ideas?
Call DIB, they are very knowledgeable and can tell you what to do. (803)-345-0996. Ask for Vince or Richard.

coz
09-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Don't want to bet because I think you are right and it would be like Vegas (no chance of winning). I'm going to test this afternoon. I'll let you know.

Here's the place to get the original sending units MC had http://www.isspro.com/

Call the tech service tell them what boat you have and they'll get it right. Mine was a simple unplug the old and plug the new one in and go.

hragsarkissian
09-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Call DIB, they are very knowledgeable and can tell you what to do. (803)-345-0996. Ask for Vince or Richard.

kjohnson, thanks I'll definitely do that.

kjohnson
09-26-2011, 10:41 AM
How does that 98 slalom wake compare to the 91-94?

kjohnson
09-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Here's the place to get the original sending units MC had http://www.isspro.com/

Call the tech service tell them what boat you have and they'll get it right. Mine was a simple unplug the old and plug the new one in and go.
Thanks for the info.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-26-2011, 11:28 AM

That was my father's standard bet. Agreed on the sending unit as the culprit.

east tx skier
09-26-2011, 01:32 PM
How does that 98 slalom wake compare to the 91-94?

I have not skied behind a 98 190. But the 91--94 wake is about as highly regarded as they come.

Now, if you're talking about my 98, I prefer it to the older MC at this point. However, when I was looking, I had narrowed my search to two boats. One was the one I bought and the other was a pristine 94 190 that wasn't for sale or, at least, wasn't for sale near me.

There are eras of ski boat that have been very popular and almost drummed up to the point of mythology.

I own one. And you own another. There are undoubtedly other years and brands of similar appeal to slalom skiers.

As far as an actual comparison. I think your wake is a bit firmer than mine, particularly at longer line lengths. Both are very small although I would say, if you're looking at them, mine appears to have a taller rooster tail. But it is so soft, you just don't think about it. From the driver's seat, it's a pretty miraculous difference. Just something you have to experience for your self. Not much else tracks like it, and the field of view is fantastic.

kjohnson
09-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Does anybody know if I will have to pull the gas tank out to replace the sending unit or can I wiggle that thing in without moving the tank. The tank, unfortunately is full of gas. I can try and run most of the gas out first I guess, but it would be nice if I could do it with the gas in it.