PDA

View Full Version : The I Love Wisconsin Thread!!!

shepherd
08-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Rather than continue the threadjack of the Dr. Michaels thread, you can let it out here.
Why are there so many skiers in Wisconsin, and show ski teams? Doesn't it get kind of cold up there??? :D

Anyway, I've been to the Oshkosh Fly-in a few times (flew in on small plane, the only way to go!) and it's the best air show in the world.

Also been to Sturgeon Bay in October once.... BEAUTIFUL! I was a naval architecture student at Michigan then and we were visiting the local Sturgeon Bay shipyards.

With the exception of maybe northern Michigan, Wisconsin is the most beautiful place I've visited north of the Florida state line IMO... Next time I'm up that way, can I get a pull?

And... wasn't BEER invented in Milwaukee ??? ;)

BriEOD
08-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Wisconsin, ain't that where they make cheese? :uglyhamme

Workin' 4 Toys
08-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Milwaukee's best.
Not sure about the weather being the greatest, we don't get up there much in the summer, although I should visit, we go in the winter for the best snowmobiling in the country, IMO. So I guess when we are on the frozen lakes riding, I guess we are technically out on the water.
Haven't been to a show there in about 15 years. And I think it was a lumberjack/water/air show if I recall.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Wisconsin, ain't that where they make cheese? :uglyhamme
Best cheese curds in the world!!!

BriEOD
08-04-2005, 09:04 AM
I've never been their so I shouldn't joke. I'm sure it's like every other US State, beautiful.

whitedog
08-04-2005, 09:07 AM
Best Cheese and Micro Brews you can buy on this side of the Atlantic.:)

As for the weather if you don't like it :( just wait a day it will change.

shepherd
08-04-2005, 09:13 AM
The airshow is the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) annual fly-in in Oshkosh. Thousands of people from all over the world fly in with their private airplanes and ultralights. They usually have the best stunt plane pilots there for the air shows and military fly-overs and warbirds dating back to WWII. Almost everybody camps under their wings right there at the airfield. During the event, it's the busiest airport in the world and they have special fly-in procedures -- pretty nerve racking flying in there with other planes all around you, but it's well orchestrated...

jbfootin
08-04-2005, 09:14 AM
It is nice to hear people from other states give WI props! :D It is a great state that has alot of lakes and rivers that are perfect for skiing, the Packers (have season tickets!) and always plenty of beer and good food. Maybe this is why we have some of the best show skiing and ski tourneys (not ran by asshat dentists!) in the country, such as the National Show Ski Tourney and Footstock!

If anyone is in the Green Bay or Appleton area and need a pull, I have a group of footers that try to get out weekly.

tex
08-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Every time I come back from there-I have had a great time and have a huge hangover! Cheeseheads and Cheeseland rock!

Danimal
08-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Rather than continue the threadjack of the Dr. Michaels thread, you can let it out here.
Why are there so many skiers in Wisconsin, and show ski teams? Doesn't it get kind of cold up there??? :D

With such a short summer season, we in Wisconsin tend to play hard with the limited amount of time we have. We flat out "bring it" whenever we can. This includes drinking beer. I will put up someone from WI against anyone in the nation when it comes to beer drinking and still functioning. During the winter we have a case of beer gone before noon when ice fishing :D

jbfootin
08-04-2005, 09:38 AM
With such a short summer season, we in Wisconsin tend to play hard with the limited amount of time we have. We flat out "bring it" whenever we can. This includes drinking beer. I will put up someone from WI against anyone in the nation when it comes to beer drinking and still functioning. During the winter we have a case of beer gone before noon when ice fishing :D

I think I might be drunk right now! :eek: :woohoo:

peason
08-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Cheese heads are just plain nuts - look how many footers come out of the dairy land!
Great state - except for being over passionate about the Packers!

Everyone should check out Footstock - never been but sounds like a great party and some great footin!

3event
08-04-2005, 11:05 AM
I take exception to the exception about the Packers ! Directly above the Team MC receiver cover on my wife's Explorer you will find her Packer license plate (we can get plates in the colors with the logo from our DMV). We're not as rabid fans as some, admittedly, but we need something to do in the winter!

Summers here are fantastic, this one has been outstanding. Very hot, but isn't that what we want to get out on the MC? With only a few months to use, we play hard ! That's why you will find many passionate about their summer sports - we appreciate every day on the water we get.

And if any of you want to see a REAL party, hit Milwaukee during Summerfest - the world's largest music festival, on the lakefront. Up to 120,000 fans/day with multiple stages featuring varied musical entertainment and an ampitheater for headline acts. And they have a waterski show there too. www.summerfest.com, put it on the calendar for next year!

Danimal
08-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Good call on Summerfest, 3Event! Great 10 day party. I only made it one day this year. I went to see Kenny Wayne Shepard. Great show!! I also saw Pat McCurdy. What a hoot!!

east tx skier
08-04-2005, 11:52 AM
I had a great weekend in WI in the summer of '03. Yeah, it's a gorgeous state, but a lot of it is all about this ...

Danimal
08-04-2005, 11:56 AM
Stop it... I'm freakin' starving over here and you go and post a picture like that. I may take lunch a bit early today.

east tx skier
08-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Waterstreet Brewery. That was my lunch and some of the sampler beers I hadn't tapped yet.

Danimal
08-04-2005, 12:14 PM
That's a great establishment. There are a lot of cool places on Water Street. I have to be up that way tomorrow. I think I shall stop in for lunch.

Rockman
08-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Just got back from 10 days in central Wisconsin on vacation. Alot of lakes, alot of bars and 10 days of temps in the high 80's to 90's.

My parents had the house built in '56 and we are up there almost every weekend from May thu August and then every other weekend during the spring and fall.

I'm a UW Madtown grad and have ski'd on alot of lakes, just not the ones that take all summer to warm up! (Up near Erkle-Land) ;)

SKI*MC
08-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Make all the cheese head jokes you want, you just can't stand the fact that WI skiiers are 10 times more hardcore than any other skiier!

Rockman
08-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Hey,

That's from the Brat stop at 41/94 and 50 in Bristol! I know that beer glass looked familiar! :D

I had a great weekend in WI in the summer of '03. Yeah, it's a gorgeous state, but a lot of it is all about this ...

jbfootin
08-04-2005, 02:35 PM
I watched a show called "Brat Camp" last night and they did not eat a single brat or drink any beer! They were just a bunch of kids stuck in the middle of nowhere camping. I thought it would be a documentary on tailgating in wisconsin or something.

jbfootin
08-04-2005, 04:40 PM
WI humor...Sorry...:D

Rockman
08-04-2005, 06:32 PM
I watched a show called "Brat Camp" last night and they did not eat a single brat or drink any beer! They were just a bunch of kids stuck in the middle of nowhere camping. I thought it would be a documentary on tailgating in wisconsin or something.

Now that made me laugh! :D

SKI*MC
08-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Brat camp... what kind of movie was this...? ;)

mcprostar197
08-06-2005, 06:26 PM
I've never been their so I shouldn't joke. I'm sure it's like every other US State, beautiful.

Woah man, there are definitely some states that are not beautiful.

mcprostar197
08-06-2005, 06:28 PM
The north woods of WI are the best because even on a rainy day, I can sit on a couch in our screened in porch and watch the lake and the rain. Its even better on a warm sunny day when the lake is GLASS!

Jim@BAWS
08-06-2005, 06:41 PM
Go Pack Go !!!

mcprostar197
08-06-2005, 06:48 PM
Packers all the way!

parks_jr_55
08-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Binge drinkin is OK in Wisconsin.

H2OGirl
08-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Can't forget Oktoberfest in LaCrosse, WI. It is a week long festival dedicated to drinking. In fact it is coming up soon, the tapping of the "golden keg" is Friday, September 30. Who else has two streets lined with noting but bars, and any kind of bar you want from country to the gay bar, there is something for everyone. LaCrosse is home to the world's largest six pack, we have our own brewery right here in town.

The season is short, that is why you have people getting in the water when the water is temp is 54 degrees, that was the water temp the first time we got in this year. WI, has a group of die hards that think they can ski year round, check out Winterwater Land in January, they ski the Rock River, this year the air temp was -3 when they skied,footed or wakeboarded.

Anyone ever up my way, give me a shout, always up for a day on the water.

peason
08-08-2005, 09:16 AM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4493

Check out Jim BAWS connection to a Wisconsin Dealer - Redline Sports out of Madison.

shepherd
08-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Go Pack Go !!!

Why are there so many Packers fans in the Tampa Bay area. I noticed that when visiting friends there.

That just aint right :huh:

erkoehler
08-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Northern WI ROCKS! :D My Grandparents started buying there property up in St. Germain area 21 years ago, and have been adding to it ever since. It all started with 1 cabin and now we are up to 4 cabins and a house all on the lake! :dance:

The water can be cold at times, we usually get started around Memorial Day and it is definetly shorty wetsuit weather at a minimum. Any knowing skier will be in a sealed wetsuit or drysuit! Any time we are there, you have to go 110% since the season is so short, that is why you will see the same boat running 8+ hours a day pulling the same group of people.

I just got back from a weeks vacation, and put a minimum of 20+ hours just on my MC alone. Thats not counting the other 3 boats that I skied behind :D

Cheese curds, they speak for themselves :banana:

Lake_Tippy_Skier
08-10-2005, 11:55 PM
I was born in Edgerton before we moved to Indiana when I was 3. All of my family still lives in the genral area between Watertown - Beloit - Burlington.

We also have a family cottage on Delavan Lake.

GO PACK GO!!! :toast:

whitedog
08-11-2005, 12:08 AM
WI waterski capitol of the world!!! :)

This weekend in Janesville WI 14 show ski teams representing 5 states and 3 regions will compete in the Division I Nationals. I know its not purist salom skiing or wakeboarding,:( but where else can you see up to 60 people skiing behind upto 5 boats at one time, or see some of the craziest acts performed on the water.

BTW the beer and brats are in abundent (sp) supply! :D

Granite_33
08-11-2005, 08:49 AM
I was born in West Bend. Moved to Ohio at age 4. The whole family is from the West Bend / Oshkosh area.

Heres my claim to infamy.....Chmura was my roommate for a couple years in college..........................He did it.

jbfootin
08-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Why are there so many Packers fans in the Tampa Bay area. I noticed that when visiting friends there.

That just aint right :huh:
They are everywhere! :headbang: The Packers are the real "America's Team". :woohoo:

As far as Tampa, I have been there and the people either love the Packers, or hate them like no other. Probably cause we kicked their butt for years.