PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Pump Help - 2007 X15

briantraudt
09-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Two of my Jabsco ballast pumps are no longer working. The motors don't even turn. I checked and the impellers are fine. I'm trying to figure out if its something electrical or if the pumps are shot. Any ideas?

tr6coug
09-24-2011, 10:33 PM
First check the breakers on the ballast pump controller. It might be under your rear seat. That is where it is on my X2.

If the pumps were mounted like the ones in my '07 X2 with the pump head on top of the motor, then they may have leaked water into the motor. I would remove them, take the brass pump head off and see if the shaft spins freely. If there is binding in the shaft then the bearings are shot and you'll need to find new bearings or replace the pumps. If the shafts spin freely, then you may have an electrical problem.

bturner2
09-25-2011, 08:22 AM
I had one of my pumps go out this way last year. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the other one does the same. I plan to make a pump relocation kit this winter to move the pumps behind the engine like the newer boats. I have all the new hoses and clamps, just need to get some time to cad out the bracket and get it cut. Hopefully I'll have the kit together by spring.

Thrall
09-25-2011, 12:28 PM
If/when you end up replacing the pumps, flip them over so any minor leaks throught he seal won't drip into the pump motor while sitting.
If you spin hte pump head 180deg when you do this, it will operate as normal, just harder to get to the impellers.
On the X2 (06 anyway), all 3 pumps can be flipped over without changing any hose lengths or hose routing. Have to move the back pumps down a bit though and only re-mount with 2 screws.
Looking fwd to seeing your reloacte bturner although I don't know if I have enough room in my 06 with that big stoopid muffler in there. Can't get to anything back there as it is right now!:)

briantraudt
09-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Any idea how I diagnose the electrical problem?

CantRepeat
09-28-2011, 07:46 AM
Any idea how I diagnose the electrical problem?

Unplug the wires at the pump and hook it up to a multimeter set at 20v and flip the switch. If you do not get a reading then check the circuit breaker and make sure it is not tripped.