PDA

View Full Version : Bubbling Exhaust

DeVrieski
09-23-2011, 11:51 PM
The last two times I have been out skiing on my boat I have noticed that the exhaust bubbles a little after the engine is turned off. I have never noticed this before. Is this normal and I have just never noticed it, or is there possibly a leak in my exhaust. I am not getting any extra water in my bilge so if there is a leak it is extremely mild. Any ideas?

oldairboater
09-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Get a girlfriend.

DeVrieski
09-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Pretty sure my wife and four kids wouldn't appreciate that! Not sure it explains my bubbling exhaust either. Any other suggestions?

Lars
09-25-2011, 01:15 AM
If you think about it, the exhaust pipes are filled mostly with air while the engine is running, plus the water exiting the engine. When the engine turns off, you now have two large cavities of air below the waterline. It's just the sound of water slowly filling into the exhaust. Just means you don't have a watertight seal on the exhaust flappers (which I don't think was their intent anyway).
Mine does the same.

Jesus_Freak
09-25-2011, 06:27 AM
... It's just the sound of water slowly filling into the exhaust. Just means you don't have a watertight seal on the exhaust flappers (which I don't think was their intent anyway).

In addition to the potential for slow leakage, the sloshing around of the boat hull in the water gives the opportunity for the back of the boat to intermittently get incrementally higher, releasing some of the trapped exhaust gas (though technically not "air").