PDA

View Full Version : PP Wakeboard Pro

lettmeknow
09-22-2011, 06:41 PM
I remember awhile back someone posted , and I believe it may have been eastie, that PP wakeboard pro could be used for slalom. So basically the system was the same as digital pro, but did not come with the smart timer. Is this correct and if so , do you need to do something to access slalom mode?

BrianM
09-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Should be able to access the slalom mode in the main menu. It is just rpm based speed.

east tx skier
09-22-2011, 08:38 PM
I remember awhile back someone posted , and I believe it may have been eastie, that PP wakeboard pro could be used for slalom. So basically the system was the same as digital pro, but did not come with the smart timer. Is this correct and if so , do you need to do something to access slalom mode?

Yes, this is correct. You can get to rpm mode from within wakeboard plus. To access the true 3 event mode, you need to reset the system (press and hold two buttons upon startup, I forget which two). Then, it will ask you which mode you want.

The Box is the same for either system. Only difference is that wakeboard pro has no smart timer or hand timer with it. Can be purchased separately.

lettmeknow
09-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Should this work for Stargazer Wakeboard pro as well?

russlars
09-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Use mine in slalom mode most of the time. However, I don't think that it is purely RPM based in this mode since it still utilizes GPS also. The folks at Perfect Pass explained this to me but I have forgotten exactly how it works. You can also set slalom speeds in Wakeboard mode, however, the engine surges in and out more and it doesn't maintain speed quite as well in the faster speeds used for slalom.

BrianM
09-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Should this work for Stargazer Wakeboard pro as well?
Yes. Same thing. You can access slalom mode from the main menus or you can reset the system so it defaults to the slalom settings on startup.

Use mine in slalom mode most of the time. However, I don't think that it is purely RPM based in this mode since it still utilizes GPS also. The folks at Perfect Pass explained this to me but I have forgotten exactly how it works. You can also set slalom speeds in Wakeboard mode, however, the engine surges in and out more and it doesn't maintain speed quite as well in the faster speeds used for slalom.

Correct. Stargazer is a bit of a different animal. Slalom mode uses rpm baselines with the GPS assist for accuracy where as Wakeboard mode just uses the GPS.

east tx skier
09-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Yes. Same thing. You can access slalom mode from the main menus or you can reset the system so it defaults to the slalom settings on startup.

If you don't reset the system, the slalom mode you get won't be the 3 event mode. Depends what you are looking to do. I think the last incarnation of WB Pro had an open water slalom mode, which may have been speed based, i.e. paddle wheel, as well as rpm mode. For slalom, even open water, you want the system to be rpm based. If you are going to have it in the course, you definitely want to reset the system to get the 3 event mode. Of course, if you aren't planning on adding a smart timer or hand timer, just do rpm mode since the 3 even slalom requires cues from the timer to ramp up speed at the gates and adjust the second segment balance.

Dave Osk
09-23-2011, 04:01 PM
"different animal" I will second that. I installed wakeboard pro on our 92 PS 190 this summer with the intention of using it in 3 event. I really like the Capture Mode for calibrating slalom speeds with out a course and smart timers. I also like the training features and the ability to incrementally adjust the speeds. I think Stargazer is really nice for open water skiing.
The only downfall I find is it takes to long to settle in on the speed, especially if you have a short setup entering the course.

Kevin 89MC
09-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Just a quick note to confirm, I actually did buy PP "wakeboard" (used) and did a re-set, bought a smart timer and slalom switch and it works great in 3 event mode. Only minor issue is the master control box was not labelled for the smart timer & slalom switch. Looked at where they were plugged in on my ski partnter's boat, and figured it out.
Good luck,
Kevin