PDA

View Full Version : Water in fuel?

Brian B
09-21-2011, 06:09 PM
What symptoms would I experience if I had water in my fuel tank? Any way to test to know for sure?

See "Intermittent loss of power" thread.

Thanks!

vision
09-21-2011, 07:45 PM
No expert, but I had an old boat that had water in the tank. It did not do anything specific. Just ran poorly, not smooth, and it was hard to start. I suppose loss of power is a symptom, but I would expect that the engine would run poorly most of the time (mine did), not just within certain rpm ranges. There are test kits for moisture in fuel. But I suspect that most cases of bad gas are diagnosed when topping off with premium plus a gas additive, or draining the old gas and starting over, resolves the problem.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-21-2011, 07:49 PM
If you tank is reasonably full, dump in a bottle of Heet. Be sure to use the right formulation if you have aluminum heads. Should take care of your problem.

Brian B
09-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Have a link for "heet"?

CantRepeat
09-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Have a link for "heet"?

Get it at any auto parts store, but sea-foam will do the same as heat but also treat your gas.

BallBushing
09-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Depending on the fuel pressure gauge you have, mine had a clear plastic tube attached, you can bleed off fuel from the schrader valve into a clear bottle. I used a Miller High Life bottle. Let sit while finishing (enduring) the balance of the 6 pack. If there's water, it will separate from the gas, similar to an oil/water mixture. BTW-Spark arrestor clean?

G-Star
09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Has anybody tried these things?
http://www.aquasocks.net/products.html

JimN
09-21-2011, 09:41 PM
What symptoms would I experience if I had water in my fuel tank? Any way to test to know for sure?

See "Intermittent loss of power" thread.

Thanks!

Take a fuel sample directly from the tank.