PDA

View Full Version : S&S needs new red stripe

shortyx250
09-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Anybody have any tips on redoing my 1980 red Stars & Stripes? I already wetsanded, compounded, polished and waxed the hell out of it. It looked good for a while but the oxidation has returned. I know a guy that restores corvettes so he is knowlegable with fiberglass. Where can I get the red metalic flake that is close to original? Has anybody ever just redone the red stripe since the white looks good? I have redone the interior and engine so its time to complete it on the outside.

Shorty,

Vintage MXer
Vintage Boatera

BrianM
09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
You can get the red flake from Spectrum. You could have someone respray the stripe for you. Other option is I know a few have wet sanded then clear coated the stripe as opposed to a complete re-gel

DemolitionMan
09-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Anybody have any tips on redoing my 1980 red Stars & Stripes? I already wetsanded, compounded, polished and waxed the hell out of it. It looked good for a while but the oxidation has returned. I know a guy that restores corvettes so he is knowlegable with fiberglass. Where can I get the red metalic flake that is close to original? Has anybody ever just redone the red stripe since the white looks good? I have redone the interior and engine so its time to complete it on the outside.

Shorty,

Vintage MXer
Vintage Boatera

I have heard of people shooting clear over the stripe.

shortyx250
09-21-2011, 05:34 PM
So you buy red metalflake which is dry, and mix it with gelcoat? I found this online. Its 70 bucks a pint. If i wet sand anymore it will be sanding the flake.

http://metalflakecorp.com/images/flakechart/glowable/020206brightred.png

tph
09-21-2011, 06:08 PM
So you buy red metalflake which is dry, and mix it with gelcoat? I found this online. Its 70 bucks a pint. If i wet sand anymore it will be sanding the flake.

If the stripe still looks good when it's wet, I would apply clear over it and forget about any additional flake.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Send americanskierJim a PM. He refinished an 80 LTD with similar flake issues and it turned out fantastic.

Slinkyredfoot
09-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Like all the other guys said before me, wet sand and clear coat, in my case it turned out great and mine metal flake was black.

tph
09-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Like all the other guys said before me, wet sand and clear coat, in my case it turned out great and mine metal flake was black.

Hey Slinky

Was that clear gel or paint that you used. It looks fantastic!

americanskierJim
09-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Send americanskierJim a PM. He refinished an 80 LTD with similar flake issues and it turned out fantastic.

Hello Shorty, I sprayed clearcoat over my boat. It was in bad shape but I wet sanded it then put down 4 coats of clear and it looks like new again. If you need any help send me a PM.