PDA

View Full Version : Storage

Locascio
09-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Hey all,

New to me prostar needs storage, talked to the local marina and they do heated. Say that no winterizing is required. Is this the way to go? I am still planning to treat the fuel, is that all I need to do when storing in a heated area? I assume that if something happens and the motor freezes they would pay for its repair...

Thanks!

carlsonwa
09-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Hey all,

New to me prostar needs storage, talked to the local marina and they do heated. Say that no winterizing is required. Is this the way to go? I am still planning to treat the fuel, is that all I need to do when storing in a heated area? I assume that if something happens and the motor freezes they would pay for its repair...

Thanks!

Verify with them that they would cover your damages if something like that happened?

jdeml
09-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Id still go drain the block, takes 2 seconds. Would hate to have a storm blow through and lose power

GT500 MC
09-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Hey all,

New to me prostar needs storage, talked to the local marina and they do heated. Say that no winterizing is required. Is this the way to go? I am still planning to treat the fuel, is that all I need to do when storing in a heated area? I assume that if something happens and the motor freezes they would pay for its repair...Thanks!

I wouldn't assume that. In fact I would highly doubt that. My father-in-law has indoor heated storage and requires all customers to carry the full insurance (or not and risk it). He does not have back-up generator if heat goes (good news is has never happened in 15 years). I store there and still at least drain the water out of everything. Have not ran AF through before but thinking I may this year. Very dry climate here helps too.

I would talk to your marina and get something in writing before I "assumed" anything.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-21-2011, 10:20 AM
It takes so little time to run a few gallons of RV Antifreeze through your engine that I can't imagine not doing it. Just sayin'

Bouyhead
09-21-2011, 10:43 AM
It takes so little time to run a few gallons of RV Antifreeze through your engine that I can't imagine not doing it. Just sayin'

X2^^^^ Can't think of a reason not to take this advice.

MIskier
09-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Agree with the above posts. If you are going to drain the motor but not run AF through over time you run the risk of allowing rust in the block and manifolds. The AF acts as the rust inhibitor during the lay up period.

stx22
09-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Good advice. The dealer I used to use for winterization and storage never ran anti-freeze through it prior to laying it up. I never noticed the crap in there until I installed a shower two winters ago - it was ugly. It took a long time to get the scale and crud out. Since I took over maintenance and started using rv antifreeze the issue has been resolved.

I also store in a heated facility. I change the oil and winterize.

Thrall
09-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Id still go drain the block, takes 2 seconds. Would hate to have a storm blow through and lose power

What he said and stx22.
Drain the water out. Longer than 2 sec, but even you first time doing it less than 30 min on a DD boat.