PDA

View Full Version : New skins?

OneMoreSet
09-20-2011, 01:25 AM
I presume MC sells skins for all the vinyl.
What sort of combo packages do they come in - complete boat, just seats, or individually only? What sort of prices have you guys seen.

Also, how difficult is it to redo them - do you need to take them to an upholstery shop to get done?

Cheer!

pram
09-20-2011, 01:34 AM
only if your boat is 3 years old I think do they sell the vinyl

there are lots of threads on here about it check maybe it's 5 I can't remember

pram
09-20-2011, 01:36 AM
what boat are you looking for? I had my last boat done locally

CantRepeat
09-20-2011, 07:31 AM
only if your boat is 3 years old I think do they sell the vinyl

there are lots of threads on here about it check maybe it's 5 I can't remember

Used to be 5 years and I was told by Chuck @BAWS that it has gone to 10 years now.

atlfootr
09-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Call Jim, he might be able to help.

OneMoreSet
09-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys, its for a 2004 xstar.
Sorry I'm a newbee - who is Jim?

Thanks

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-20-2011, 11:07 PM
From atlfootr signature
NEW SKINS ... Jim - "Upholstery Guy" (865) 995 0607 Hm (BSURE 2 LVMSGE) (865) 679 2246 Cph (ANYTM UPTO 9PM EST) friant9@aol.com

Jerseydave
09-21-2011, 04:53 AM
Thanks guys, its for a 2004 xstar.
Sorry I'm a newbee - who is Jim?

Thanks

Jim@BAWS (on here) is the MC dealer near Tampa FL. Tampa Bay Watersports. Jim (and Chuck) from there helped me with my skins for my '05 X-star. Have your hull # ready and take pics of all the seats you want skins for. You will get the exact skins for your boat that way.

kman
09-21-2011, 10:41 AM
www.mastercraftskins.com

thatsmrmastercraft
09-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Used to be 5 years and I was told by Chuck @BAWS that it has gone to 10 years now.

At this rate, I might be able to get new skins for my boat soon.:rolleyes:

pram
09-21-2011, 01:08 PM
At this rate, I might be able to get new skins for my boat soon.:rolleyes:

2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OneMoreSet
09-22-2011, 12:04 AM
So I was talking to a good MC dealer and they order alot of skins, they said MC changed their process recently and now only sells skins for boats to 2005, nothing earlier. Also, you need to take a picutre of HullID, and the specific seat you want replaced - so they will not :confused: sell you one for your 2004 even though it should be identical to a 2005 and youre willing to take the risk...! weird??

anywho, looks like aftermarket is the only shot here..

Meeker
09-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Anyone used "Jim in Tennessee"? I'm looking to get a few pieces done for an x-30.

tommcat
09-24-2011, 02:49 PM
and on a related question for anyone who has actually done their own, how hard is it to put on your own skins, PITA or no big deal? do you usually replace the foam also or no?

SWeaver
09-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Did an 87 prostar over winter. Theres some pics if you search for "upholstery" and my username. Did the whole boat in an afternoon with pnuematic stapler. Foam was still good, though. Easy job. 2 people is best. One to hold, one to staple. Let me know if yougot questions.

Jorski
09-25-2011, 02:47 PM
and on a related question for anyone who has actually done their own, how hard is it to put on your own skins, PITA or no big deal? do you usually replace the foam also or no?

I did it and it turned out great, but it is indeed a royal PIA...thousands of staples to pullout.

You have to pull reasonably hard to get the material stretched to correct tension...too litte or too much and you will have wrinkles. If you don't mind fiddling around with it, anyone can do it.

Jeffer
09-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I bought mine from Copycat and did them myself. You need an upholstery stapler, a good compressor (although a small one is fine) and a bunch of stainless staples (none of which are really expensive, to be honest. Compressors aren't bad even at Home Depot, staplers are a dime a dozen on EBay and you can resell it for the same money when you're done, and staples are available on line fairly cheap). It's very time consuming to do right, you need a hot day if possible to let the vinyl warm (or a hair dryer on small parts) and patience. Worst pat for me on my 1996 Prostar was finding bad honeycomb aluminum in the rear seat, and rotted wood in the side panels so I had to remake those out of marine plywood, which I covered in fiberglass resin to further waterproof. All in all worth doing yourself, just order and do it all off season, nothing's worse and rushing in season. I did the side panels over this past summer because I wasn't planning on replacing the wood, but the boat is fine without those for a while. I need to post pictures of all that work soon to help others...