PDA

View Full Version : New wake plate on X 14 DIRECT DRIVE

Age Fighter
09-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Last winter I mentioned that I was installing a wake plate on my X 14 DD - mainly because I wanted to be able to fill up the fuel tank (thereby putting more weight right on the stern) and still keep a flatter wake for slalom. A number of folks wanted results: sorry they are late but here they are:

First install would not allow the plate to actuate very much, so the wake modification was very subtle and the positive change was small.

I finally got boat back in so the plate install could be redone. I have not had it for one session with a plate that actuates. They were NOT able to plug it into my VDIG, so I don't have a gauge to monitor percentage.

Fully actuated is too much. Produces huge rooster tail and for some reason boat lists to driver side a lot with this.

Less actuated reduces rooster tail but does soften and flatten wake. I am not a great skier, so I play around with rope length and speed a lot and rarely ski the course.

With a longish rope, close to 0 off, the wake is real nice at about 30 mph. I still cross the back edge of the rooster tail but the water is soft.

I can see that if I sped up to about 34 and went to about 22 off, I would probably be totally in front of the rooster tail and it looks totally flat there. I will try that in my next run, which hopefully will be in a couple of days.

I am excited about more length/speed trials. Any comments from X 14 V owners with the wake plate would also be mucho appreciated.

gatorguy
09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Let's have some pictures.

cdstukey
09-19-2011, 03:47 PM
+1 for pics. I like my wakes at 15 off, 32 mph and about 15 degrees on the trim tab. That keeps me well behind the rooster tail. I was skiing at 22 off this morning and didn't care for it as I was cutting right through the back side of the rooster and wheeling out the other side. ran out of time for experiments with different trim settings. I don't know if I have enough trim adjustment available to put me in front of the rooster at 22 off.

P.s. Let me just say I love September week day skiing. 1200 acres of water and no one else out. :)

kornysnaps
09-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Which skiing paradise is this in Colorado?

Age Fighter
09-19-2011, 05:45 PM
+1 for pics. I like my wakes at 15 off, 32 mph and about 15 degrees on the trim tab. That keeps me well behind the rooster tail. I was skiing at 22 off this morning and didn't care for it as I was cutting right through the back side of the rooster and wheeling out the other side. ran out of time for experiments with different trim settings. I don't know if I have enough trim adjustment available to put me in front of the rooster at 22 off.
)

Interesting results - at 15 off and 32 I would not be behind my rooster tail, and I think at 22 off I might be in front of it if I were fast enough. Sounds like your rooster tail is closer to your boat. What hull do you have?

cdstukey
09-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Interesting results - at 15 off and 32 I would not be behind my rooster tail, and I think at 22 off I might be in front of it if I were fast enough. Sounds like your rooster tail is closer to your boat. What hull do you have?

'10 X-14v, I guess the DD could flatten out the boat and move the rooster back, but I was never in front of the rooster on my 190 at those speeds (or 34mph) and lengths either. :confused:

Age Fighter
09-19-2011, 06:06 PM
'10 X-14v, I guess the DD could flatten out the boat and move the rooster back, but I was never in front of the rooster on my 190 at those speeds (or 34mph) and lengths either. :confused:

Not sure I'll get in front of it either, but on some boats that's where the sweet spot is. What have you noticed about where people are, etc, doing to the tail? How about a smidge of water in the KGB?

cdstukey
09-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Honestly, I have never tried adding ballast while skiing (other than people). I have had maybe four adults and three kids in the boat and don't notice that much difference in the wake. Kids and one adult in the bow and the other three adults are in the drivers and observers seats. The biggest factor I have noticed is speed. Anything below 32 is big and steep. 32 to 34 I don't have an issue with. It's a little wider than our 190 was and maybe a little taller, but not enough pitch me over the front or even require a double pull through the wakes.

Age Fighter
09-20-2011, 12:56 PM
with folks in the bow and in the observer seat there is certainly no need for the KGB. I hate that it's cool and windy this week here in NC, I would really love to get out and play around with some more speed and lengths.

Ski-me
09-20-2011, 01:11 PM
P.s. Let me just say I love September week day skiing. 1200 acres of water and no one else out. :)

Definitely! After being the only boat on the lake for Sat and Sun mornings.....this is what we left. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/nielson2020/2011-09-18_09-13-35_554.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/nielson2020/2011-09-18_09-13-42_226.jpg

GT500 MC
09-20-2011, 01:14 PM
[QUOTE=Ski-me;790656]Definitely! After being the only boat on the lake for Sat and Sun mornings.....this is what we left. :(

Ski-me - Where in Springs is that lake? And how are you able to get on that??? Nice...

Ski-me
09-20-2011, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=Ski-me;790656]Definitely! After being the only boat on the lake for Sat and Sun mornings.....this is what we left. :(

Ski-me - Where in Springs is that lake? And how are you able to get on that??? Nice...

Memorial Park...Prospect lake.

Show up at 7am.....too cold for anyone to really be out there until the sun (and warmth) is out. We were playing with a friend's 2000 205 props and my 1994 205. We just left his trailer in the water, made a few passes, changed props, made a few more. No one came to the ramp that whole time! Pretty cool.

What I learned....I really like my 94' compared to his 2000. Thankfully, newer is not always better. :D

As I left on Sunday, the outboard Bayliner showed up. Only one guy and he launched and just drove around in circles. But hey, he was excited there was glass water too.....

mramerman@gmail.com
09-20-2011, 02:27 PM
I am really fussy about wake, having moved from a '97 PS190 to the x14v. I just recently moved to '28 off, wake-plate at 20% and ski 34 - 36 mph. This puts me just in front of the rooster tail and virtually no wake. My only complaint (albeit a small one) is the trough on either side of the wake. I am still working on my form here... but I think if I can set my turn, stay on edge and pull hard I should be in pretty good shape.

After skiing with this boat for a year and now 100 hours... i can say there is very little chance of not having a pretty good bump at '15 off. From my experience the wake plate moves the rooster tail and will do some work at softening the hit... but really the only way to avoid it is to shorten the line and speed the boat.

I also find it like all boats is extremely weight sensitive. I am finicky--driver and spotter only, 1/2 tank of gas (or less) and most the gear out of the boat.

Overall MC has done an amazing job of compromises attempting to provide a platform that can accomplish as much as this boat does. I do miss my PS190 at times... but find I use and spend time on this boat throughout the day doing such a wide range of activities that I wouldn't have done with the old boat... compromises.

Maybe I just need two boats?

cdstukey
09-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Definitely! After being the only boat on the lake for Sat and Sun mornings.....this is what we left. :(

It's tough to leave water like that. Days like that are the ones that usually leave me hurting the next day, because I just can't say no to one more pull.

cdstukey
09-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Maybe I just need two boats?

Don't we all. A 190/7 and a 25 would be a nice pair.

Age Fighter
09-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I am really fussy about wake, having moved from a '97 PS190 to the x14. I just recently moved to '28 off, wake-plate at 20% and ski 34 - 36 mph. This puts me just in front of the rooster tail and virtually no wake. My only complaint (albeit a small one) is the trough on either side of the wake.

After skiing with this boat for a year and now 100 hours... i can say there is very little chance of not having a pretty good bump at '15 off. From my experience the wake plate moves the rooster tail and will do some work at softening the hit... but really the only way to avoid it is to shorten the line and speed the boat.

Very interesting. Few questions:
Do you have the DD or V version of the X 14? I assume DD since you didn't say V.
Anyway to get in front of tail at 22 or does that require 28?

mramerman@gmail.com
09-20-2011, 04:14 PM
Don't we all. A 190/7 and a 25 would be a nice pair.

...ok, to be super honest... the wife took up skiing this Summer and is quite hooked. I have a tiny fantasy about a X-7 or 197 with tower.... DD....

mramerman@gmail.com
09-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Very interesting. Few questions:
Do you have the DD or V version of the X 14? I assume DD since you didn't say V.
Anyway to get in front of tail at 22 or does that require 28?

Sorry I have an x-14v.

28 to get ahead of the v. I am not a course skier, so its about making cool turns and looking good... but, i honestly didn't feel much difference between 22 and 28.

Age Fighter
09-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Sorry I have an x-14v.

28 to get ahead of the v. I am not a course skier, so its about making cool turns and looking good... but, i honestly didn't feel much difference between 22 and 28.

I'm not a course skier or even good enough to make cool turns or look good - but I love to do it - it's great exercise and a great measure of how other work outs are going - and I actually enjoy the tinkering with the boat to tweak the wake as well. I may end up going long on the rope and slow on the speed to get behind the tail ultimately, but I can see that sweet spot ahead of the tail and I want to know what it feels to cross at that point. 28 seems so close to me, but I've skied at 22 before - think I'll try them both.

mramerman@gmail.com
09-20-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm not a course skier or even good enough to make cool turns or look good - but I love to do it - it's great exercise and a great measure of how other work outs are going - and I actually enjoy the tinkering with the boat to tweak the wake as well. I may end up going long on the rope and slow on the speed to get behind the tail ultimately, but I can see that sweet spot ahead of the tail and I want to know what it feels to cross at that point. 28 seems so close to me, but I've skied at 22 before - think I'll try them both.

I held he same POV---if I am not going to run the course, why shorten beyond 15' off? Like you, I was frustrated with the wake so at my wife's prompting I shortened the rope---I had no idea what I was missing out on! The wake is much better (nonexistent) but the work out and rush is 3x greater! Love it. Can't imagine skiing long-line every again!

Age Fighter
09-20-2011, 08:47 PM
I held he same POV---if I am not going to run the course, why shorten beyond 15' off? Like you, I was frustrated with the wake so at my wife's prompting I shortened the rope---I had no idea what I was missing out on! The wake is much better (nonexistent) but the work out and rush is 3x greater! Love it. Can't imagine skiing long-line every again!

Well hell, since rush and work out are why I ski - then I guess I'm gonna have to go 28/34 and take your wifes' advice myself. Just need the sun to come back out.

Age Fighter
10-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Looking for more comments, questions on this - in case the thread is buried in this category....