PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer/paddle wheel issue on 2004 X7

Mgboyd25
09-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Okay so the issue is that it just doesn't work
I have a perfect pass for slalom that runs off rpms so that hasn't been a major issue as I am getting good times though the course.
Anyway, the paddlewheel seems to not be bent or broken in at all but there is still no action on my actual speedometer.
Should I look for a potential wiring issue or replace the paddlewheel?
Thanks in advance!

Mgboyd25
09-20-2011, 08:31 AM
Anyone? Anyone?....Buehler?

Double D
09-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Anyone? Anyone?....Buehler?

I'm here! Just have no answer for you except I would look at the wiring first. :confused: Did you ask Chris at BHM?

My PP acts up a bit lately when I turn the wheel 5 degrees to the left. It starts to pulsate. If I go past 5 degrees it clears up. Chris looked at my paddle wheel at the Buckeye Bash and thought the one side of the paddle wheel guard is bent a bit. That's because I have a crappy trailer!! :mad:

Lars
09-20-2011, 01:38 PM
I have an 04 197; do you have a temp sensor built in? IF so, then youhave the same paddle wheel as me. One of the wires from the boat side of the harness should be hot either ~6 volts or 12 volts, can't remember. If that's working then you probalby just need to replace the paddlewheel unit.

Mgboyd25
09-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Lars, yes I believe I have that same unit, im thinking the paddlewheel may be out of adjustment somehow
Thanks

Meeker
09-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Also get someone to spin the paddlewheel with the key on and the boat on the trailer. Watch the gauge and see if if moves.

93Prostar190
09-24-2011, 10:39 AM
Dear Boyd!

1st of all Go Bucks!

2nd my vote is the paddlewheel ... it may need to be replaced ... I am assuming that it turns ok by hand? Also is the alignment of the paddlewheel ok? sometimes they are too shallow (up towards the boat) and the water does not turn the wheel.

You should be able to turn the wheel by hand (send the girlfriend under the boat while on the trailer) and the with the key in acc mode, you should register a speed .... I just did it on mine and the gauge moved ... check the contacts to the paddlewheel on the bilge side ... you may not be getting the input voltage to the wheel.

Keep us posted, we can dive in further ..

JohnnyB
09-24-2011, 12:22 PM
I have a 2004 ps197 and mine went out this spring. Temp worked. Verified the voltage coming to it per the above post to be sure and then replaced the paddle wheel.

Incidently, if you go to the paddle wheel mfg website it will tell you they only last 3 to 4 years at a use speed of 20 knots....

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Lars
09-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Johnny how much did your replacement cost?