PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Lite Underwater LED - Installed Finally

agarabaghi
09-19-2011, 09:39 AM
Well I got the liquid lite led, and finally got the mail box key replaced. Unfortunatly the threading did fit. It was too small as our boats use 1" NPT threads until 2007. Luckly Mike over at Tojoseabelow.com quickly fitted and adapter on it, and mailed it back to me. The light fits perfect and was super easy to install.

I wan a wire from the NAV switch, so the light turns on with the gauges and nav lights.

Pictures below. Im waiting to borrow my friends nice camera to get some night time pictures. I went with the 6-led version and the beam is pretty bright. In the dark lake water it brightens up about 10 feet off the platform and has great diffusion. When cruising it seems to light up a good bit further back, and I wouldn't be surprised if you could easily wakesurf with it, though probably illegal.

Pictures:

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4254/imagejpl.jpg

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3576/imageplp.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2266/imageoxw.jpg

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/2258/imagemfi.jpg

g-mantrix
09-19-2011, 09:44 AM
looks good, sticks out a little though, any chance of breaking??
from where and what cost?...cheers

agarabaghi
09-19-2011, 09:50 AM
We ran from 10am - 7pm on friday and saturday with it installed and no issues. When the boat is on plane the light is actually out of the water.

The light was $299

02ProstarSammyD
09-19-2011, 12:07 PM
With it being out of the water on plane think there are going to be any heat dissapation issues with the light? Not sure but I've heard alot of talk about not running those lights out of the water. Sure I'm just overthinking this

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2011, 12:10 PM
looks good, sticks out a little though, any chance of breaking??
from where and what cost?...cheers

I would think a pretty slim chance...................but? Hmm.

scott023
09-19-2011, 12:11 PM
With it being out of the water on plane think there are going to be any heat dissapation issues with the light? Not sure but I've heard alot of talk about not running those lights out of the water. Sure I'm just overthinking this

That's what I have been told as well.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2011, 12:13 PM
That would be a problem with any transom mounted light, wouldn't it?

scott023
09-19-2011, 12:14 PM
That would be a problem with any transom mounted light, wouldn't it?

Not if they're mounted low enough.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Not if they're mounted low enough.

Makes sense.

scott023
09-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Makes sense.

That was easy. :D

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2011, 12:17 PM
That was easy. :D

First time for everything.:rolleyes:

73blue
09-19-2011, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure that its legal to have that on while running anyway. I think 1 all-around anchor light and red/green nav lights are it when under way, despite all the boats out there running their docking lights down the lake.

scott023
09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure that its legal to have that on while running anyway. I think 1 all-around anchor light and red/green nav lights are it when under way, despite all the boats out there running their docking lights down the lake.

Who cares? It's not legal to consume alcohol while operating, and lots do that. I'll put up with the guy with the undewater lights on the lake before the guy boozing it up. :twocents:

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Who cares? It's not legal to consume alcohol while operating, and lots do that. I'll put up with the guy with the undewater lights on the lake before the guy boozing it up. :twocents:

See..............two wrongs do make a right.:rolleyes:

I do agree with you here.

scott023
09-19-2011, 12:38 PM
See..............two wrongs do make a right.:rolleyes:

I do agree with you here.

The boats running underwater lights are better than the ones pulling those fackin tubes too. :D

73blue
09-19-2011, 12:47 PM

Just saying they probably weren't designed to be run out of the water on plane. Much like the discussion the other day about the aft-facing transom seating.

And I agree, if I had to choose, give me the lights. Doesn't make either one right tho.

scott023
09-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Just saying they probably weren't designed to be run out of the water on plane. Much like the discussion the other day about the aft-facing transom seating.

And I agree, if I had to choose, give me the lights. Doesn't make either one right tho.

I think UW lights being illegal is horse hockey.

73blue
09-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Not sure about your neck of the woods, but

"Vessels are required to show the proper navigation lights from sunset to sunrise in all weather conditions, good and bad. During these times, no other lights that could be mistaken for lights specified in the Rules of the Road can be displayed, nor any lights that impair the visibility or distinctive character of navigation lights, or interfere with the keeping of a proper lookout. The Rules also state that navigation lights must be shown in conditions of reduced visibility, and may be shown at other times considered necessary."
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/guide/navigation_16.html

scott023
09-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Not sure about your neck of the woods, but

"Vessels are required to show the proper navigation lights from sunset to sunrise in all weather conditions, good and bad. During these times, no other lights that could be mistaken for lights specified in the Rules of the Road can be displayed, nor any lights that impair the visibility or distinctive character of navigation lights, or interfere with the keeping of a proper lookout. The Rules also state that navigation lights must be shown in conditions of reduced visibility, and may be shown at other times considered necessary."
http://www.boatus.com/foundation/guide/navigation_16.html

HAHAHAHA. I wasn't refuting the fact that they're illegal, I meant that I think it's dumb that they are. The UW lights aren't highly visable (if at all) from a ways away, so it's hard to believe that they can impair the visability of the nav lights.

agarabaghi
09-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Manual says they can be run out of the water.

02ProstarSammyD
09-19-2011, 01:42 PM
Manual says they can be run out of the water.

Id still check the heat on that thing. Maybe I'm just over cautious but if a 300 dollar christmas light burned up on my boat b/c of if I'd be ill.

scott023
09-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Id still check the heat on that thing. Maybe I'm just over cautious but if a 300 dollar christmas light burned up on my boat b/c of if I'd be ill.

I agree. Better to error on the side of caution when dealing with important toys. :D

thatsmrmastercraft
09-19-2011, 01:45 PM
The boats running underwater lights are better than the ones pulling those fackin tubes too. :D

OK..................this is the third time I have agreed with you today. Please return scott023's password to him so I can continue to disagree with him and things will seem more normal.:D

73blue
09-19-2011, 01:45 PM
HAHAHAHA. I wasn't refuting the fact that they're illegal, I meant that I think it's dumb that they are. The UW lights aren't highly visable (if at all) from a ways away, so it's hard to believe that they can impair the visability of the nav lights.

Fair enough, sorry for the misunderstanding. I was just trying to reason why they would not be designed to run out of the water. Doesnt seem to be an issue anyway. Heck my nav lights get fireball hot when they're on, so I guess it doesn't matter (unless I'm supposed to keep dunking the bow to keep them cool?)

scott023
09-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Fair enough, sorry for the misunderstanding. I was just trying to reason why they would not be designed to run out of the water. Doesnt seem to be an issue anyway. Heck my nav lights get fireball hot when they're on, so I guess it doesn't matter (unless I'm supposed to keep dunking the bow to keep them cool?)

I've got a buddy that can look after that for you, no problem. 8p:D

scott023
09-19-2011, 01:47 PM
OK..................this is the third time I have agreed with you today. Please return scott023's password to him so I can continue to disagree with him and things will seem more normal.:D

We are on a serious roll. :hi5:

02ProstarSammyD
09-19-2011, 01:49 PM

What if you began driving in reverse as you were pulled. Sorry occifer I couldn't see while backing up. I also would stick with the attempted alien invasion of my vessel idea.

agarabaghi
09-19-2011, 03:02 PM
The cops on our lakes wouldn't know tue difference between a nav light or a an uw light. Also when the boats on plane, sure it's not fully submerged but it's by exactly dry. The manual / speaking with the creator explains that the metal casing acts as a heatsink. On of the "selling features" is that you can use it to help back up the boat at night at the ramp. I personally will continue using it at night while floating or cruising until a cop tells me other wise . Plus the cops are off the lake by 4 pm anyways ...

nkknutson
10-29-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm thinking about gettin one but would love to see what it looks like in the water. Have you taken any pictures yet??