PDA

View Full Version : Maristar bogs out!

BigLove
08-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Have a 1998 Maristar 200VRS with LT-1 engine.

On the lake this weekend I noticed that my battery voltmeter was showing only around 10-11 volts. This was a new battery...my brother in law tells me that new batteries sometimes have been on a shelf for some time and that it needed to be charged.

Anyway, while out, with the voltmeter showing 10-11 volts, I was experiencing intermittent "bog" while cruising at varying speeds. Not dependant on turning or any set speed. The engine RPM would decrease, gasoline could be smelled. After idling a bit, all was back to normal. I thought this might be related to fuel contamination or trash in the tank. Filled the boat up with an additional 25 gallons to top it off. And it happened again. Seemed that the longer I had it out, the worse the problem got.

I am suspect that it is the fuel pump?

We are pretty much through skiing for the year...will it hurt to wait and have this addressed in the Spring when we have it summerized?

Battery charged easily....could a low voltage have been the cause?

Thanks for any and all help.

Travis

east tx skier
08-03-2005, 03:43 PM
Fuel filters changed? Flame arrestor clean? Did you check the fuel pickup?

LakePirate
08-03-2005, 04:27 PM
We are pretty much through skiing for the year...Travis

Travis, what do you mean through for the year??? It's only August.

I would take Easties advice and look at the little things as well, fuel filter, flame arrestor, etc.

Thrall
08-03-2005, 06:30 PM
First check the easy stuff as mentioned. Next, you said you could smell gas when it was bogging. This could be an indicator of a rich condition.
Flame arrestor dirty, starving for air.
Another possibility, is the boat warming up to operating temp? You said after idling it was better. My LT-1 runs a little warmer at idle than opened up once the engine is heat soaked. If your tstat, top one, is stuck open you may not be getting up to proper operating temp and the injectors are running a little rich, like the choke being on. Idling could have allowed the engine to warm up a little and quit richening the mixture. Just a thought.
You can check fuel pressure off of a schrader valve on the fuel rail. I think 30-35 psi at operating speeds is what you're looking for, although if fuel pressure was low, I'd think you wouldn't smell gas.