PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Lake Scum

Tuna Cowboy
09-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Looking for some trade secrets on how to clean lake scum off after taking the boat out of the water after the summer. Was thinking about spray nine and a magic eraser...??any suggestions?...

CantRepeat
09-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Star brite hull cleaner.

Dino Don
09-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Looking for some trade secrets on how to clean lake scum off after taking the boat out of the water after the summer. Was thinking about spray nine and a magic eraser...??any suggestions?...

Purple Power works good on a lot of things???

ricford
09-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Seconder for Starbrite hull cleaner. No effort at all, just wipe on let sit for 5 minutes and rinse off. I've also heard that tidy bowl toilet cleaner works good too, apparently it has the same ingredients.

SkiDog
09-19-2011, 08:29 AM
NEVER use a magic eraser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

agarabaghi
09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Marys on off hull cleaner. Spray on, scrub, wash off. Strong enough to work on barnacles and a scum line from a month of leaving the x1 in the water.

scott023
09-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Star brite hull cleaner.

I second this opinon. Also, never use a Magic Eraser on your boat.

Kevin 89MC
09-21-2011, 05:13 PM
Try Star Brite first. If that doesn't do it, then go to Mary Kate's On & Off. That'll get 'er done. I had 4-5 year old baked on scum that Star Brite would not even touch, but Mary Kate's wiped it right off. Star Brite works well for my annual cleaning. Your hands may sting a bit, after the Mary Kate's eats through your latex gloves, but I can pretty much guarantee your hull will be clean & shiny. :) Wax right away after.
Good luck,
Kevin

Covi
09-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Fsr!!!!!!!!!!!!

boater8987
09-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Whatever you use, if you have a galvanized trailer, make sure you don't get any on it. Read the label, if it has acid in it, and it usually does if you have to wear gloves, it will eat the galvanization off the metal and make it rust and streak. Its not good for paint either.

Thrall
09-22-2011, 05:42 AM
Toilet bowl cleaner.........seriously.
Just keep the concrete sprayed down if you're doing it on a newer conc drive. The HCl will etch the concrete.
Muratic acid (HCl) diluted about 20:1 will do the same.
Most of the cleaners advertised have some HCl as the active ingredient.
If it says do not get in contact with concrete, your hands or bare metal (or galv) then it is just expensive muratic acid or toilet bowl cleaner.

tideengineer
09-22-2011, 10:01 AM
starbrite is awesome

stx22
09-23-2011, 10:36 AM
I let my boat sit in the water all summer and as of the last five years the water quality has degraded to the point it is covered with schmeg at the end of the year (used to come out as clean as the day I put it in).

I started using MaryKate hull cleaner and it is pretty amazing stuff. Cut the job time down to nothing. However, I pulled the boat recently to take it to a mechanic to try and get some scan codes and decided to clean and wax. I did a hasty job and pretty much destroyed the trailer jack and rims on the trailer. Moral of the story, heed the warnings above and be careful with the stuff it is powerful.