PDA

View Full Version : winter projects

kalamalka
09-18-2011, 07:15 PM
I've read a ton on this forum, but a first post. Thanks for all the great insight. I bought a 06 X1 this summer. We love it for skating, w-boarding and surfing.

I'm looking for some ideas/projects to do on the boat interior or exterior this winter in the garage. Canadian winters are long and cold, I need some projects to keep me busy.

Any ideas for upgrades, accessories would be a lot of help. Thanks very much.

G-Star
09-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Welcome. Boat pics, please :D
You don't happen to be that all-black X1 with the chrome MasterCraft logo on Kal Lake, do you?

Stereos, underwater lights, tower accessories (lights, speakers), and ballast upgrades are all great winter projects if you ask me.

CantRepeat
09-18-2011, 09:01 PM
x2 on the welcome and boat pics!!

You store in the garage, sweet. Keep the batteries charge and drink a beer in your boat every now and then. It keeps me happy. :D

kalamalka
09-19-2011, 12:43 AM
Yeah, thats me. small world! are you on Kal Lake?

archcityblues
09-19-2011, 12:51 AM
thats a sick boat. pics??

kalamalka
09-19-2011, 01:03 AM
here a are few. any ideas are welcome. I'm looking for anything from graphics to upgrades. I like the underwater lights idea, links to pics?

G-Star
09-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Yeah, thats me. small world! are you on Kal Lake?

That's not actually the boat I was thinking of! But, nice boat!

There's an all black X1 (hull & deck) with no X1 logo or markings on the side at all, aside from a large chrome MasterCraft decal down the side that I've seen on the lake a few times. Very slick looking boat.

Yeah, I'm on Kal... Cosens Bay. Where are you at?

scott023
09-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Kal, quite sure I saw you out on Kalamalka this summer. Darn sharp boat.

jdeml
09-19-2011, 12:12 PM
LEDS! You can find almost anything your trying to upgrade on here. Just look around and see what you like. From leds to wrap to ballast, youll have your hands full! Good luck

G-Star
09-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Kal, quite sure I saw you out on Kalamalka this summer. Darn sharp boat.

You're on Kal as well?

scott023
09-19-2011, 12:40 PM
You're on Kal as well?

No, I'm in Alberta. But we've had our boat out on Kal three years in a row now.

Holman J.B.F
09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
yep ,customized ballast system and a led project will keep you busy.did it last winter on my x-star.I also waxed the boat over and over again,....did not hold very long,...black boats show waterspots very quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqHrYtagCZs

scott023
09-19-2011, 12:45 PM
yep ,customized ballast system and a led project will keep you busy.did it last winter on my x-star.I also waxed the boat over and over again,....did not hold very long,...black boats show waterspots very quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqHrYtagCZs

Has anyone tried RestorFX on their boats? Couple friends have had detail shops apply it to their boats, and they look brand new. Supposed to last for 48 months.

http://restorfx.com/

Thrall
09-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Heater, shower, stereo upgrades.
Boat looks fine, don't ruin it with a wrap and I'd run your current decals for a while til you get sick of them, it looks awesome.
Doesn't look like it need much in the polishing dept. But winter is a good time to sand/buff out all the scratches/swirl marks.
Add a battery or 2 and clean up the notoriously sloppy wiring MC odes to the batteries with all the stereo gear and ballast power. Add an on board charger (if you're going for the big stereo).
Ballast upgrades, but they come at a price of sacrificing storage. I chose to use separate bags for surfing since I don't need more weight for boarding.
Heated seats? Not too expensive, another good adder up north if you get out early and late in the year.
Last but not least, tighten every bolt/screw in the boat. Not sure of the hours or how it was maintained, but my 06 needed help in this dept. Now I got another bag of screws and nuts and studs that have rattled out that I need to find homes for this winter before seat backs and such start falling off! Check the tower mounts especially, mine looked tight, but were not. Took ALOT of sway out of the tower.
Change trans fluid and filter if not done recently.
If the boat has an original fuel pump and say 250hrs or more, swap it out, per the replacement threads on here to save yourself a certian failure in the near future, new fuel filter while you're in there.

Oh and wax the bilge!