PDA

View Full Version : PCV Valve indmar 351?

LYNRDSKYNRD
09-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Should my PCV Valve sound like a sewing machine at idle?? Reason I am asking is I was running the boat on the fake a lake and heard a rattling. Traced it back to the pcv valve which was chattering/cycling up and down. When I removed the valve and sealed the bottom o fthe pcv with my thumb the engine idle also seemed smoother. Just wondering if it was suppossed to do that.

tommcat
09-17-2011, 03:30 PM
PCV valves that rattle are usually junk. just replace it

LYNRDSKYNRD
09-17-2011, 04:05 PM
That's what I figured ...thanks.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-17-2011, 07:42 PM
PCV valves that rattle are usually junk. just replace it

Good answer.

LYNRDSKYNRD
09-18-2011, 12:36 AM
Replaced....thanks guys.

macattack
09-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Confused:confused: Did a quick Google search and all the results were pretty much the same...if you shake the PCV valve and it rattles then it is most likely good. Normally, when it does not rattle, the ball is gummed up with oil, etc and needs to be cleaned or replaced. Either way, a cheap replacement part...

"The PCV valve is a ball check valve. It allows air/gasses to pass in one direction but not the other. With the PCV valve out, you should be able to shake it and hear the ball rattle. Also if you blow in one end you should be able to blow through it but not from the other end. IF you can not blow through it from either end OR if you can blow through it from both ends it is bad.

The springs can get weak, the ball and assembly can become gummed up with oil. You can clean them with carburetor cleaner or kerosene. Let it soak in a small container of kerosene for a while and then shake it and blow it out."

tommcat
09-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Confused:confused: Did a quick Google search and all the results were pretty much the same...if you shake the PCV valve and it rattles then it is most likely good. Normally, when it does not rattle, the ball is gummed up with oil, etc and needs to be cleaned or replaced. Either way, a cheap replacement part...

"The PCV valve is a ball check valve. It allows air/gasses to pass in one direction but not the other. With the PCV valve out, you should be able to shake it and hear the ball rattle. Also if you blow in one end you should be able to blow through it but not from the other end. IF you can not blow through it from either end OR if you can blow through it from both ends it is bad.

The springs can get weak, the ball and assembly can become gummed up with oil. You can clean them with carburetor cleaner or kerosene. Let it soak in a small container of kerosene for a while and then shake it and blow it out."

it is supposed to rattle if you shake it, he said it rattled while running and it should not do that. google is wrong

LYNRDSKYNRD
09-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Mac thanks for the reply, tom is correct it rattles while the engine is running. I replaced it and shaking the new on next to old the old one seemed to have a much weaker spring.

macattack
09-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Mac thanks for the reply, tom is correct it rattles while the engine is running. I replaced it and shaking the new on next to old the old one seemed to have a much weaker spring.

Great, thanks for the explanation! I missed the point of your initial PCV valve rattling while the engine was running; hence, the reason I started my initial reply with "confused." :D Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something since I'm always trying to learn something new off this forum! Glad the new one works! tks, mac