PDA

View Full Version : Ford 351 Exhaust Manifold Drain Plugs

Lumbergh
09-15-2011, 10:26 PM
I was checking things out on my 91 PS and preparing to complete the winterization checklist, so I decided to take out the Exhaust Manifold Drain Plugs, they looked a bit haggard on first glance.

I got the port/left one out with a bit of difficulty, but the PO/Previous Shops/whatever (he did not do his own mx) have egged out the 3/4 socket plug on the starboard side and I can't get the socket to seat no matter what I tried.

Was thinking of driving a 15mm hex into it, or getting a large EZ out, or wedging some thin metal along with the 3/4 socket.

Run out of time tonight to play with boat so I ask the hive, WWYD?

Might have to remove riser and riser hose to get a better crack at it, but would prefer not to of course. More parts to order (gasket and 4 bolts).

I am gonna replace both plugs, anywhere beside skidim to get some? HD/Lowes/Napa?

TIA-

thatsmrmastercraft
09-15-2011, 10:45 PM
I was checking things out on my 91 PS and preparing to complete the winterization checklist, so I decided to take out the Exhaust Manifold Drain Plugs, they looked a bit haggard on first glance.

I got the port/left one out with a bit of difficulty, but the PO/Previous Shops/whatever (he did not do his own mx) have egged out the 3/4 socket plug on the starboard side and I can't get the socket to seat no matter what I tried.

Was thinking of driving a 15mm hex into it, or getting a large EZ out, or wedging some thin metal along with the 3/4 socket.

Run out of time tonight to play with boat so I ask the hive, WWYD?

Might have to remove riser and riser hose to get a better crack at it, but would prefer not to of course. More parts to order (gasket and 4 bolts).

I am gonna replace both plugs, anywhere beside skidim to get some? HD/Lowes/Napa?

TIA-

Plugs are a standard hardware store item. Are you referring to the drains in the exhaust elbows? I tried to remove those last year and they turned to mush. Then I realized I was removing plugs from the highest point and that was completely unnecessary. Drilled and tapped oversize this spring and have no plans on removing in the future,

dfd22120
09-15-2011, 10:47 PM
I am not sure how to help with getting the plug out. But I had a problem with the threads on the manifold rusting to the point where the plug would not stay in. I retapped the threads and used this adapter and cap. Now I don't have to worry about the cast threads I only remove the brass cap. I found them at ACE hardware so they chould not be hard to find.

WilliM1940
09-15-2011, 10:49 PM
It's wrecked anyway, there was enough stickout on my old one to grab on with a small quality pipe wrench and cheater bar. Soak it good with Kroil or PB Blaster, hit it with a torch etc before the wrenching.

JLeuck64
09-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Drill out most of it. Squirt some PB Blaster in there then use any easy out to remove.

Lumbergh
09-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Pipe wrench! Great idea.

Drill it out and ez out, another great idea.

You guys are on it.

gr82bgreen
09-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Pipe wrench! Great idea.

Drill it out and ez out, another great idea.

You guys are on it.

I used a small 10 inch pipe wrench on 1 once.