PDA

View Full Version : Engine Soundproofing

Lumbergh
09-15-2011, 05:42 PM
The foam sound proofing is separated and generally being a PIA inside the engine box of 91 PS. Any fix or just remove it?

I don't see any clean way affix it back to inside of engine box.

Table Rocker
09-15-2011, 06:06 PM
This thread is a good start:
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=30120&highlight=motor+insulation&page=2

helton333
09-15-2011, 06:26 PM
I rhino-lined mine - you can by Hercules liner at most auto parts stores - brushes on, thick, nice rubbery type texture and really absorbes sound - and you can wipe it off unlike foam

Lumbergh
09-15-2011, 07:28 PM
Great thread. Thank you!

psychobilly
09-15-2011, 08:09 PM
I used the stuff from McMaster Carr just like mentioned in the thread mentioned above. It works GREAT!

JMann
09-15-2011, 08:13 PM
thanks for the thread. I will be doing mine this winter as I just had to pull all the old stuff out because it was falling off. I started only pulling the parts that were falling but now it's all falling so it's out until the winter when spend some time fixing it.
This was helpful I will be using the 1" adhesive backed foam from McMaster. i will post pics in a couple months when I get around to it.

Lumbergh
09-16-2011, 12:40 AM
As a stopgap measure before going full out like others have so professionally done, I razored off the crappy part and found some spray adhesive I had in garage.

The adhesive worked pretty well on sides on what was left of top (about 2/3s) and is now glued back out of the way.

Thanks!

psychobilly
09-16-2011, 03:29 AM
I just rough cut mine and got it in there, made extra pieces to fill gaps, covered with the tape and it looks great. Is it quality? not by far... Does it look quality?? yes it does....

If I were to do it over again I would cut templates first so I got the foam cut perfect the first time. Also as someone in the other thread suggested, he bought 8' of the foam. I too, under his suggestion got 8' and it was perfect.

etduc
09-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Did mind last year. I used 1" double skinned, which was not needed. (McMaster Carr )

Use same type of foam (1/2"), as come from factory, for maximun sound absorbtion. The 1" skinned would have more insulation value, but not more sound abatement. for sound aborption the open cell is the correct product. Reasonably cheap, about a one hour job.