PDA

View Full Version : AOL doesn't like "THE LIST"?????

bradamerry
08-03-2005, 11:27 AM
I get this almost everyday from AOL... I have to get a new password after they shut me down!!! :mad:

Dear Member,

America Online's Terms of Service agreement (AOL Keyword: TOS) prohibits members from sending unsolicited bulk e-mail. This prohibition helps protect the AOL community from unwanted junk e-mail or spam.

On 08/03/2005 10:24:32 EST, your account was secured by America Online's Community Action Team because unsolicited bulk email was sent from the bradamerry Screen Name.

AOL secures accounts used to send bulk e-mail or spam because they often may be compromised: that is, somebody has stolen the account password and is using a screen name on the account to send spam without the knowledge or consent of the account holder. By securing the account, AOL ensures that an authorized owner regains exclusive use of the account.

We understand that taking these actions may inconvenience some of our members. However, we think you will agree that regaining security of your AOL account, and the personal information it contains, is top priority.

There are several ways that you can help to keep your account more secure. If you feel your account was compromised, these tips can be especially helpful.

Computer Safety Tip #1: Beware of websites that claim to be America Online. Remember, the only time you will be required to enter your password is when you log onto AOL or when you change your password at AOL Keyword: Password. Often members receive e-mails with a link to a website that claims to be an "official" America Online website. Be very cautious when going to one of these websites, especially if they are soliciting your password or personal information. Most AOL accounts that are compromised are compromised because the legitimate user clicked on a link or provided information in a scam pop-up or e-mail.

Generally an authentic AOL website will have "aol.com" somewhere within the web address, (i.e., aol.pictures.com). If you are unsure about whether a site is a legitimate AOL site, you can always try to go directly to the area (for example, if an e-mail or pop-up asks you to update your password, try closing the form and going directly to AOL Keyword: Password). If you want to make doubly sure, you can chat with one of our consultants online at AOL Keyword: Get Billing Help.

Computer Safety Tip #2: Beware of "Trojan Horses." Trojan Horses are files attached to e-mail or web pages, some of which send your AOL password to another person, allowing them to access your account. Never download an e-mail attachment sent to you by someone you don't know and be very careful about what you download from the Internet.

If you think you inadvertently may have downloaded a Trojan Horse program, go to AOL Keyword: Anti-Virus, and click on the Try It Now For Free button. Once you click on the Download Now button, you will be registered for the McAfee VirusScan software. Just follow the instructions as they come up. The software will download and install itself with pauses where the computer needs to be restarted. After the software is installed, don't forget to run a virus scan to ensure there are no Trojan Horses on your computer.

Enjoy your first month FREE of McAfee VirusScan Online brought to you by AOL. After your free trial offer, the service is $2.95 a month plus any applicable taxes in addition to your basic monthly AOL membership fee, conveniently billed to your AOL payment information on file. To avoid being charged a monthly fee, simply cancel your McAfee VirusScan Online membership before the trial period ends.

Password Tip #1: Change the passwords to all Screen Names on your account at AOL Keyword: Password. Be sure to keep your passwords a secret, and change them frequently. Also, remember that AOL staff will never ask for your password.

Password Tip #2: Don't create passwords that are easy to guess. The best passwords are at least six characters long and contain a combination of numbers and letters.

Safety Awareness Tip #1: Visit AOL Keyword: Neighborhood Watch regularly for updates on account security issues.

Safety Awareness Tip #2: Check out the security options available at AOL Keywords: Parental Controls and Mail Controls.

Safety Awareness Tip #3: - Keep informed on how to combat unwanted junk mail at AOL Keyword: Junk Mail.

Safety Awareness Tip #4: Take advantage of the information and tools at AOL Keyword: TOS.

I hope you find this information to be useful. Please note that this screen name cannot accept replies. Therefore, if you have any other Terms of Service related questions or comments, please visit AOL Keyword: TOS Questions. To review AOL's Terms of Service agreement, which is presented to all members during the sign up process, see AOL Keyword: TOS.

Regards,

The AOL Community Action Team

bradamerry
08-03-2005, 11:29 AM
I guess somebody caught on to the TOOLMAN password.. :rolleyes:

Cloaked
08-03-2005, 05:14 PM
Not unusual in my experiences. When I send (or did send) out a mass e-mail from another forum domain, I get all of AOL's mail back. I had to ask each forum member (AOLers) to change their e-addys. It was kEEling me!...

BriEOD
08-03-2005, 05:15 PM
BTW, what the heck are you doing on AOL anyhow. Move into the 21st century already Brad!! ;)

Leroy
08-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Brad; Can you talk about that on here?

AirJunky
08-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Why anyone with an ounce of computer experience goes with AOL is beyond me. AOL is for kids, drunks & people with no talent........ and tooobers. ;)

WilliamsFamLV
08-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Why anyone with an ounce of computer experience goes with AOL is beyond me. AOL is for kids, drunks & people with no talent........ and tooobers. ;)

LOL, I have about 10 people I need to send this to.... 2 Kids and 8 Drunks!!!!!! :worthy:

Granite_33
08-03-2005, 06:29 PM
AOL.......
Good for the sheeple.

Baaaah Baaaahhh

Ric
08-03-2005, 06:34 PM
which one are you Brad?

AirJunky
08-03-2005, 06:47 PM
which one are you Brad?
No offense..... consider it encouragement to get off the AOhell bandwagon.

stevo137
08-03-2005, 06:50 PM
I bet it's a good place to get pics for "The List"... ;)

east tx skier
08-03-2005, 06:57 PM
BTW, what the heck are you doing on AOL anyhow. Move into the 21st century already Brad!! ;)

Agreed. AOL sucks. I still have an email name with them for 2 reasons. My mom has an account with extra screen names so it's free, and 2, I've had the address for more than 10 years. It rarely gets checked though.

Brad, I'd be happy to send you an invite so you could get a gmail account. 2 gigs of storage and you can send attachments up to 10 mb. You can store a ton of stuff on there and search your old mail with a google search engine.

You need an invite to get the account, but I've got 50 of 'em and it's free.

BriEOD
08-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Good luck when you cancel. I was with them for like 8 years and when I went to cancel, oh what a pain. I had to do it like three months in a row. After the 2nd time I called got an employee # and name and threatened. What a pain.

east tx skier
08-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Man, Brian, you're not kidding. I squeezed them for a free 30 days when I was in a pinch once, and I was on the phone with India for about 30 minutes. Started yelling "CANCEL!! CANCEL!!" after about 20 minutes. I hate that crap.

stevo137
08-03-2005, 07:17 PM
Man, Brian, you're not kidding. I squeezed them for a free 30 days when I was in a pinch once, and I was on the phone with India for about 30 minutes. Started yelling "CANCEL!! CANCEL!!" after about 20 minutes. I hate that crap.
I have the broadband membership mainly for my kids.
It's 14.95 and the kids have had screenames for quite some time.
They chat and email with friends mainly that they know.
Not sure if I should keep it. There are some crazies on AOL.
SBC Yahoo DSL works very well for me.

bradamerry
08-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Well I guess I should be on AOL... Limited computer skills, act like a kid, a drunk, little talent and own a toob.... AOL is for me!!!

Note you self---- AirJunky on List probation ;)

bradamerry
08-03-2005, 08:27 PM
I have alot of customers that email to the AOL address and my company said use AOL... So I use AOL and they pay me for it..

AirJunky
08-03-2005, 08:28 PM
HEhehehe shyea, whatever.
Limited computer skills...... your turnin it on, right? And your makin it to the TMC site, right? Then you qualify for at least Earthlink!

BTW, something happened to my list membership a long time ago. I've been in the dark ever since. Guess that AOL acct. took care of it. ;)

Business use..... it's generally considered unprofessional to use accts like AOL. Your company is paying what $19.95? $14.95? per month?!
For next to nothing you can get a Gmail acct.
And for about $99 per year you could have brad@bradamerry.com

bradamerry
08-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Limited computer skills...... your turnin it on, right? And your makin it to the TMC site, right? Then you qualify for at least Earthlink!

BTW, something happened to my list membership a long time ago. I've been in the dark ever since. Guess that AOL acct. took care of it. ;)

Business use..... it's generally considered unprofessional to use accts like AOL. Your company is paying what $19.95? $14.95?
what's the address??

bradamerry
08-03-2005, 08:32 PM

Business use..... it's generally considered unprofessional to use accts like AOL. Your company is paying what $19.95? $14.95? per month?!
I also have a true company email acct., but my long time customers still use the old AOL address.. They are my customers, not my company's...

AirJunky
08-03-2005, 08:35 PM
what's the address??
Register the domain with any domain registry. The big ones are registry.com or networksolutions.com. I use domainbuddies.com.
Then get your own ISP space.... Yahoo or your local phone or cable company can do that. Or search for the best deal on http://www.thelist.com/

east tx skier
08-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Brad, do you want a gmail invite? It'd be perfect for the list if nothing else. They're burnin' a hole in my pocket. Anyone else? Email me if you want one.

BrianM
08-03-2005, 10:28 PM
The only thing about Gmail is that you currently cannot set up groups. So mailing out mass e-mail is kind of tough. That is the one thing I hate about my Gmail account. Everything else is great.

AirJunky
08-03-2005, 10:34 PM
The only thing about Gmail is that you currently cannot set up groups. So mailing out mass e-mail is kind of tough. That is the one thing I hate about my Gmail account. Everything else is great.
Hey Brian,
You can setup your Gmail acct to be a POP3 acct. & then read it all in Outlook or some other POP3 email client. Then you get all the features that go with that client, ie; setting up groups.

USC8791
08-03-2005, 10:53 PM

I stopped toobin years ago.

east tx skier
08-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Hey Brian,
You can setup your Gmail acct to be a POP3 acct. & then read it all in Outlook or some other POP3 email client. Then you get all the features that go with that client, ie; setting up groups.

Or you could keep a copy of your group list in a word document and paste, but Bill's method sounds better. I like the importing your addresses thing on gmail. Very easy.

jimmer2880
08-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Yahoo Groups is a good way also. Anyone in the group just sends an email to 1 email address. Then Yahoo distributes it to the rest of the membership. I am part of a Snow Ski Instructor group for my local resort. About 350 of us & don't have any problems. It's free also.

phecksel
08-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Register the domain with any domain registry. The big ones are registry.com or networksolutions.com. I use domainbuddies.com.
Then get your own ISP space.... Yahoo or your local phone or cable company can do that. Or search for the best deal on http://www.thelist.com/
I used www.godaddy.com for two URL's. Been extremely happy with their customer support and products.

My email address belongs to me. Internet providers are now a true commodity. I could switch tomorrow and it wouldn't affect a single email address.

AirJunky
08-04-2005, 12:26 PM
My email address belongs to me. Internet providers are now a true commodity. I could switch tomorrow and it wouldn't affect a single email address.
Bingo. I've owned my domain for over 10 years & changed ISPs probably 7 or 8 times over the years. Now days I pay around $120 per year for the domain name, 500 meg. of web space, 50 email accounts, etc. and they always stay the same if I change to a less expensive ISP (there are some great deals out there now).

phecksel
08-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Bingo. I've owned my domain for over 10 years & changed ISPs probably 7 or 8 times over the years. Now days I pay around $120 per year for the domain name, 500 meg. of web space, 50 email accounts, etc. and they always stay the same if I change to a less expensive ISP (there are some great deals out there now).
check out godaddy.com, much less expensive.

think for the ski club we get 500k of space, 100 email addresses, two year registration and hosting for $80.

www.bellevillelakewaterski.com

for my DSL, they had a fantastic initial offering of 14.95 per month. Sad part, my old provider only had to meet the same rate. No setup, existing customer... I'll give them a chance again next year :)

milkmania
08-05-2005, 01:11 AM
here's the one I use for that writeonrice.com site.....
http://www.startlogic.com/

it's got 2 gig of storage....looks like they've got better deals since I registered that domain.
I purchased it and registered it for a lady that lost interest in creating a webpage...she never paid me, so I hi-jacked it back....I typically just use it for storage

milkmania
08-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Domain name thelist.com is unavailable

bradamerry
08-05-2005, 08:34 AM
I could just take some address off the LIST, so I wouldn't have any trouble.... :rolleyes: