PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Throttle - no luck yet in resolving

airwear
08-03-2005, 09:31 AM
I have a 2000 Prostar 195 that I bought at the beginning of this year. The boat is amazing, and I am learning a ton about it so far as I have replaced the impellor (boat started overheating after 1 month), alternator (died after 2 months, could not be rebuilt so I installed a new one), changed the oil, and of course applied lots of 303 and wax. My next fix/improvement is on the throttle.

The throttle isn't smooth like in other Mastercrafts I have driven. I tried to lube the cables slightly, with little effect.

When I have the boat out of gear, the throttle moves very smoothly and nicely. When it is in gear, however, it is sticky at different points, which makes it a little tougher to fine tune the speed.

Anyone have any suggestions as to the problem? I initially thought that I should replace the cables, but it works nicely out of gear?!??

RackAtak
08-03-2005, 09:43 AM
You might want to consider installing Perfect Pass to fine tune the speed. I have a early 2001 ProStar 195 and the Perfect Pass works great. My throttle is also a little sticky but I think it is normal.

east tx skier
08-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Do the rpms hang at all when you bring it back to idle?

I've noticed the friction of the throttle handle to be a little greater on later model boats as opposed to my early 90s prostar (and actually easier to dial in assuming no perfect pass (perfect pass is preferred)).

I've heard people speak of a friction adjust behind the lever. I've heard others say there is no adjustment. Anyone care to shed some light on that?

airwear
08-03-2005, 12:14 PM
RPMs do not hang at all when brought back to idle. I took a very quick look and did not see any adjustment behind the lever.

AirJunky
08-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Your throttle has 2 cables coming off it, one to the carb/EFI & the other to the trans. Disconnect the trans cable at the trans end & then try moving the throttle while it's "in gear". Now move the trans linkage with your hand. Which one is stiff? Theres your problem.

the legend
08-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Check the cables by disconnecting them from the throttle and the trans. see if they move freely. It sounds possible that your trans shift cable may be bad ()only stiff when in gear)