PDA

View Full Version : Prop performance question

davidstan
09-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I have a 14.25 x 14.50 OJ on my x2 and chasing off some lake lice the other day (jumping our wake while wife was skiing) i was able to get the boat up to GPS verified 49 MPH and 51 on the speedo. Now i did not think this prop would ever do that behind the MCX. Question is, for deep water starts is this the prop to have and on the other hand what is the more fuel efficient 4 blade prop size all round? Also, are other x2 post 2005 owners get this kind of performance?

willyt
09-14-2011, 04:10 PM
I have the same prop on my 2005 X2, and the fuel efficiency is going to be determined by what you use it for. If you're not running 2-3k worth of ballast like I am you might be able to step up the pitch a little bit and decrease the RPM's at wakeboard and slalom speeds.

By deep water starts I take it you mean slalom skiing... the pull to a skier if the boats not loaded with ballast (not sure why you'd ever pull a skier with ballast... but anyway) with that prop is unreal.

Other props you might look at getting if your skiing alot is the 13.7x17, or the 14.75x15.5. Not sure its worth the change though considering you've already got a great prop.

that being said... eric... any ideas if the 5 blader would be worth the upgrade?

Thrall
09-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Not even close with an Acme of similar dia/pitch. You must have been going down hill or down a fast river! That prop or any of the 14.xx by 14.xx props should only get you to about 40mph +/-.
Even the 13.7 x 17 will only get to 44-45mph.
Yes, that's the prop to have for a strong pull out of the hole and no I don't notice much difference in fuel consumpton between the low pitch and the 13.7x17, although I've never calculated it.
The lower pitch 14.xx x 14.xx will run higher rpms at a given speed, all other things the same, but I noticed in my buddy's X15 with the 17 pitch, MCX, that once the boat was loaded down, it appeared to run higher rpms for a given speed, about the same as the lower pitch.

willyt
09-15-2011, 04:08 PM
I have a 14.25 x 14.50 OJ on my x2 and chasing off some lake lice the other day (jumping our wake while wife was skiing) i was able to get the boat up to GPS verified 49 MPH and 51 on the speedo. Now i did not think this prop would ever do that behind the MCX. Question is, for deep water starts is this the prop to have and on the other hand what is the more fuel efficient 4 blade prop size all round? Also, are other x2 post 2005 owners get this kind of performance?

wait i read that again -
I have the same boat and same prop - sorry unless your current was 10mph or you have a supercharger on that MCX there's nooo way you're hitting 51 on the speedo (the speedos only go up to 50 anyway...). I've hit 39 before with that prop... i know it feel fast.. think you actually saw 41?

willyt
09-15-2011, 04:09 PM
hmmm supercharger on the MCX... where's hooligan when you need him...

GT500 MC
09-15-2011, 06:40 PM
hmmm supercharger on the MCX... where's hooligan when you need him...

Sounds interesting...

davidstan
09-16-2011, 08:16 AM
I used a hand held gps that showed 49 mph and checked it out with 2 cars to be correct so I don't know what's going on. We were on glass chasing these 2 freaks so maybe my excitement caused me to read it wrong or I was wind aided.