PDA

View Full Version : Texas drought photos

Brian B
09-13-2011, 08:25 PM
Wow! I had no idea it was this bad.

http://www.flickr.com//photos/texasparkswildlife/sets/72157627429641925/show/

ahhudgins
09-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Then throw in all of the fires for extra bad luck.

What are the barrels that look like mines used for??

tbmlxstar
09-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Some of these pictures are from Lake Travis where we have our '02 xstar in a dry stack. Very sad especially knowing that a lot of the water is allowed to run to south Texas where rice farmers are using it for their second crop of rice. We are reminded that the lake is a reservior for agricultural use, not recreation. Happy for the farmers but not for us boaters.

The weather forecasters are saying the drought will continue into next year too.

I think the barrels are filled with cement and used as moorings for sailboats.

nauti-dreamer
09-14-2011, 12:19 PM
I have an idea. Being that some people are undoubtedly looking for work, why not have crews go through these dry lake beds to clean up all the trash that is now readily accessed! Including all the discarded and unused mooring anchors, tires, etc. Seriously. This would be a great benefit for the resource and for the greater public enjoyment once the water does return.

I grew up on South Dakota through the 80's and left in early 90's. The Missouri River and Oahe Dam/reservoir also went through major drought and loss of water levels. Not the the point of completely empty but far enough. My rough recollection is that the effect of the drought on water levels never rebounded until this year. Yep...fast forward to 2011, and they saw 100 year record rains and run-off form snowmelt in Montana such that the reservoirs are completely filled back up...and then some!

These weather patterns are cyclical and will no doubt spin around at some point. I can't imagine it taking more that a hurricane or two to fill those lakes up again in Texas

Back to the point.....Clean them up while it's easy pickens!

73blue
09-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Some of these pictures are from Lake Travis where we have our '02 xstar in a dry stack. Very sad especially knowing that a lot of the water is allowed to run to south Texas where rice farmers are using it for their second crop of rice. We are reminded that the lake is a reservior for agricultural use, not recreation. Happy for the farmers but not for us boaters.

The weather forecasters are saying the drought will continue into next year too.

I think the barrels are filled with cement and used as moorings for sailboats.

Yeah our lake drops ~45ft every winter. Yearly reminder that recreation is not a priority. Fortunately we can generally count on heavy spring rains to fill us back up. Droughts suck, though. Prayin for rain for yall.

The8Ball
09-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Lake travis, over labor day. 48 down at that point. One public ramp open.. gets down to 50+ feet... then it closes. record was 67 feet low, 1951.

pmkkdx
09-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Lake travis, over labor day. 48 down at that point. One public ramp open.. gets down to 50+ feet... then it closes. record was 67 feet low, 1951.

http://travis.uslakes.info/Level.asp down slightly over 49 feet now and rapidly approaching the 630 mark of 2009. Very sad indeed! and the long range forcasters are calling for this La Nina effect to potentially last another 1 to 2 years, meaning extending these drought conditions here in TX unless some tropical storm happens our way in the mean time ... I pray they are wrong!

atlfootr
09-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Sure ABC's (Austin Barefoot Club) going to run their Dam To Dam on the other side early Nov, as usually.

Brian B
09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I have a friend that lives on a yacht full time at lake Travis. Feel terrible for him. He cant event puch of the docks, and they've moved the docks 2 or 3 times now.

snork
09-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I think I'll go look for my bike key I lost in the rocks just off the shore a few years back