PDA

View Full Version : What fuel pump do I need?

Brian B
09-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Here is a picture of mine!

Its a Carter and has 0591B 291 stamped on it.

Also need to know what filter to buy. Thanks for any input!

330hp Indmar 2001 X10

nmcjr
09-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Should be the Delco EP356, available on Amazon. There are other brands, but Delco is made by Walbro, which I believe to be the best pump on the market. Do yourself a favor and buy the Napa 1' $15 hose listed on the other thread.

Matt 230vrs
09-13-2011, 10:01 PM
It looks like the same pump that I have in my 230 Maristar, 330 hp. I purchased (and returned) several of the pumps listed in the fuel pump thread. Each of the pumps was physically smaller and I was not comfortable trying to use the smaller pumps. I ended up buy a new fuel cell from Mastercraft. In the end, it wasn't my fuel pump but the crank position sensor. I will be interested to see if you can locate the correct pump.

Brian B
09-13-2011, 10:04 PM
It looks like the same pump that I have in my 230 Maristar, 330 hp. I purchased (and returned) several of the pumps listed in the fuel pump thread. Each of the pumps was physically smaller and I was not comfortable trying to use the smaller pumps. I ended up buy a new fuel cell from Mastercraft. In the end, it wasn't my fuel pump but the crank position sensor. I will be interested to see if you can locate the correct pump.

I just went through the exact same thing!

What were the symptoms that caused you to replace your fuel pump?

I dont have $500 for a new unit from Mastercraft!

Brian B
09-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Should be the Delco EP356, available on Amazon. There are other brands, but Delco is made by Walbro, which I believe to be the best pump on the market. Do yourself a favor and buy the Napa 1' $15 hose listed on the other thread.

The Delco one is the only one I have not had my hands on. What parts stores carry them?

mcxfan
09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
I have an 06 X2 (mcx) and my pump failed over labor day. I bought the Airtex2065 from autozone ($73) and worked like a charm.....I cross ref'd it from the delco ep356....Not sure if its the same for you 330hp though it looks similar. It only took about 1.5hrs of labor to remove and install.

BallBushing
09-14-2011, 08:09 AM
I had the same issue. Could not find a replacement for this Carter pump. All the others are too short, had to but the complete unit. Rambo marine $485. However, don't think it was the pump after all.

Check your transmission cooler water inlet hose for debris. Cleaned that out and the boat has never run better.

Brian B
09-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Would a clogged transmission cooler cause poor driveability and intermittent power loss?

BallBushing
09-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Certainly caused intermittent loss of power starting at 4000, then 3000, then 2000 rpm and finally at idle. Engine would just start dropping rpms and finally dying completely. After cleaning the cooler inlet, runs better than ever.

Not sure how an overheating transmission tells the engine to shut down but that's what appeared to have happened.

BTW - I've been searching this past week for this size Carter pump and can not find a thing.

Brian B
09-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the post! I'm going to go check the cooler lines now!

nmcjr
09-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Mine is an '02 330HP, and the EP356 worked. I think Napa can get Delco. If it is too short, can you just re-drill the four screw holes and essentially move the top bracket lower?

Brian B
09-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Transmission cooler had very little debris in it.

Brian B
09-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Best place to purchase the whole MC assembly?

BallBushing
09-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Best place to purchase the whole MC assembly?

I called Rambo Marine, gave them the numbers off my Carter assembly and they shipped the next day. Get a new gasket with it.

Spent all day searching the internet and still no luck in sourcing that longer Carter fuel pump,

Brian B
09-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks!

Well I finally knuckled up and installed the E2065 Airtex. It was much shorter, and thinner than the factory pump. I found a rubber spacer to use for the girth, and went ahead and drilled new set screw holes for the blue pump holding bracket.

She primes up, and runs just fine on the trailer. Taking her out tomorrow to see how it works. If this works, it's a much better solution than a $500 pump from Mastercraft!

Thrall
09-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Certainly caused intermittent loss of power starting at 4000, then 3000, then 2000 rpm and finally at idle. Engine would just start dropping rpms and finally dying completely. After cleaning the cooler inlet, runs better than ever.

Not sure how an overheating transmission tells the engine to shut down but that's what appeared to have happened.

BTW - I've been searching this past week for this size Carter pump and can not find a thing.

It wasn't the trans overheating that caused the shutdown, it was the engine starving for water and overheating that casued it. Raw water passes thru the trans cooler (also where the screen is located) to cool the engine.

Matt 230vrs
09-17-2011, 05:46 AM
My engine would start and run up to about 3000 rpm then shut down and would not start again until it had sat for awhile. It was difficult to diagnose at the shop but it ended up being the crank position sensor.

BallBushing
09-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks!

Well I finally knuckled up and installed the E2065 Airtex. It was much shorter, and thinner than the factory pump. I found a rubber spacer to use for the girth, and went ahead and drilled new set screw holes for the blue pump holding bracket.

She primes up, and runs just fine on the trailer. Taking her out tomorrow to see how it works. If this works, it's a much better solution than a $500 pump from Mastercraft!

Did you tap the new holes? On my assembly the screws are located in a built up area of plastic. Also, did you plug the old holes? If so, with what? Use the old fuel line? Keep me posted as I have a new Airtex E2044 and I'd like to use to rebuild the old assembly for a spare.

Brian B
09-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Did you tap the new holes? On my assembly the screws are located in a built up area of plastic. Also, did you plug the old holes? If so, with what? Use the old fuel line? Keep me posted as I have a new Airtex E2044 and I'd like to use to rebuild the old assembly for a spare.

I reused the existing screws to plug the holes, then used self tapping sheet metal screws for the bracket. I simply screwed them into the plastic, and they support the blue bracket just as they did in the stock location. I bought a new hose from Napa. I didnt go with the plastic one, but I did get a new 1' "submersible" hose from Napa.

The fuel pump setup works perfectly.

...........The bad news? I took the boat out yesterday, and the condition that made me think I had a bad fuel pump still exists.

The engine seems like its missing. Intermittent loss of power higher in the RPM.s. I'm at a loss here.