PDA

View Full Version : Rudder greasing

Fast50dad
09-13-2011, 01:28 PM
What type of grease should I use on the steering? My neighbor left for AZ already. Any tips on doing it and what type of grease should I use?

Thanks,
Luke

wtrskr
09-13-2011, 10:43 PM
I followed the owners manual to learn how to lube the steering cable and rudder on my '94 so you may have some luck by taking a look there. The mastercraft site has PDF's of the manuals if you don't already have a copy.

The '94 manual called for multi-purpose marine grease. I didn't find any with multi-purpose on the label but was told by this board that waterproof marine grease that I had picked up was indeed the right stuff.

On mine there are three zerk fittings for greasing, one for the rudder and two for the steering cable. You lift the floor board behind the engine then just attach a grease gun to the zerk fitting and then pretty much just squeeze away. For the steering cable, turn the steering wheel all the way way to the right, grease, then turn the wheel back and forth after greasing.

Fast50dad
09-16-2011, 07:57 AM
Great info, thanks for the response!

Table Rocker
09-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Pennziol Multi-Purpose Marine Grease is commonly available, even in the boating section of WalMart.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31p15XxqmkL._SS500_.jpg
I would add, put a rag over the zerk on the steering cable before you turn the wheel back an forth unless you want grease on the ceiling of your garage (like mine has).

Thrall
09-16-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure what makes grease "waterproof":confused:. No petroleum based grease will mix with water, although there's probably an additive that makes it less prone to water intrusion. And "marine" labeling is probably just marketing.
Really any grease you have in your grease gun will work fine as the rudder and steering cable is not subjected to high loads, or extreme temperatures.
Can't say that I've ever switched grease in my guns for a specific application, although I buy grease that has good high temp and low temp resistance and is suitable for bearings (high shear load). The use it in everything from trailer axles to U joints to lawn mowers, sleds, boat, etc.
I use the Lucas "red tacky" ?? grease most of the time. Mainly because it doesn't tend to sling off and gum up the rims on my older trailers that leak a little out the rear wheel seals.
Just like engine oil, it's not the brand you choose, it's more important to do proper timely maintenance.

wtrskr
09-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Good info on the grease choices. I had picked up separate grease for my bearings and switched between the two. After I use up the marine stuff I'll just stick with the stuff I used for my bearings and won't have to do any switching.

80starsmn
09-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Pennziol Multi-Purpose Marine Grease is commonly available, even in the boating section of WalMart.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31p15XxqmkL._SS500_.jpg
I would add, put a rag over the zerk on the steering cable before you turn the wheel back an forth unless you want grease on the ceiling of your garage (like mine has).

Glad to hear this is normal, as I was about to remove the zerk and replace thinking it went bad.

tommcat
09-17-2011, 12:52 PM
another nice thing to add depending on the boat. i didnt like reaching all the way under my gas tank and other stuff to get to the rudder grease fitting so i took the zerk fitting out of the rudder housing and installed a grease gun extension hose in it's place and then put the zerk fitting in the end of that. now it sits right out where it's easily accessable and takes no effort or jamming my arms where they dont fit.