PDA

View Full Version : Hole in exhaust hose...

lobsterslayer
08-03-2005, 12:50 AM
Hi all, I already looked at one post for a blown exhaust hose, but it doesnt seem to apply to my case. I have a 1986 prostar190 and it keeps burning a hole thru ONE exhaust hose only. Then it starts to run crappy due to loss of backpressure I assume (metal duct tape makes it purr temporarily!). I have replaced the hose twice and repaired it (rigged with beer cans, duct tape, etc...) a couple more times. Anyway, the impeller is fine, temperature is fine, and the other hose is fine. On a flush hose, it LOOKS like a similar amount of water is coming out the exhaust flaps. I am thinking maybe there was previous impeller damage and there are pieces stuck somewhere? I was thinking of replacing that manifold, but that seems excessive... Any ideas? I havent checked the plugs yet either - could lean/hot running on some cylinders cause this? Carb issues? Ya know...those exhaust hoses add up and I need to save for a 4-blade prop!

Thanks all...
Tony

jimmer2880
08-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Sounds like your doing the right things. Hey - maybe you should try some alum duct tape? (just kidding).

Forget the 4-blade. Go with an ACME or OJ CNC 3-blade. You won't be sorry.

wesgardner
08-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Hey lobster,

Wow! Even after running mine pretty hard I can lay my hand on my exhaust riser (not for long) but there's no way it gets hot enough to burn thru the exhaust hose...pull that riser and inspect?

Doesn't seem the carb or the plugs are an issue, even if you have "hot" plugs, they're not THAT hot!!!

Call Acme, they'll recommend the correct prop...

You got me...

Workin' 4 Toys
08-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Hi all, I already looked at one post for a blown exhaust hose, but it doesnt seem to apply to my case. I have a 1986 prostar190 and it keeps burning a hole thru ONE exhaust hose only. Then it starts to run crappy due to loss of backpressure I assume (metal duct tape makes it purr temporarily!). I have replaced the hose twice and repaired it (rigged with beer cans, duct tape, etc...) a couple more times. Anyway, the impeller is fine, temperature is fine, and the other hose is fine. On a flush hose, it LOOKS like a similar amount of water is coming out the exhaust flaps. I am thinking maybe there was previous impeller damage and there are pieces stuck somewhere? I was thinking of replacing that manifold, but that seems excessive... Any ideas? I havent checked the plugs yet either - could lean/hot running on some cylinders cause this? Carb issues? Ya know...those exhaust hoses add up and I need to save for a 4-blade prop!

Thanks all...
Tony
Sounds like there is a blockage. Years ago we had a cooling issue on an old inboard, and after chasing out tails trying to figure out what the heck made it get hotter on one side. Found a bolt stuck in the hose! Must have been dropped by the previous owner on a winterization or something.

lobsterslayer
08-03-2005, 11:56 AM
OK... I think I am going to have to pull the hose and maybe manifold/riser on that side and have a look. The riser does not get hot (well any more than the other side) so its really weird.

I use the boat for wakeboarding, weight it down and it has the powerslot tranny - thats the reason for the 4-blade :-)

Thanks guys.

lobsterslayer
08-03-2005, 06:14 PM
OK - tore it apart, and the exhaust tube looked out of round, and also had some debris visible in the second picture.
http://web-edge.com/boat/DSCF0002.jpg http://web-edge.com/boat/DSCF0003.jpg
With a flashlight I also found a chunk of rubber impeller lodged in the flow path. Looks like water was getting around the exhaust but not at the top where it is most important due the bend direction of the hose. I bent the 'insert' back into round so there was adequate area at the top and cleaned all the debris out. Hopefully that does it.
http://web-edge.com/boat/DSCF0004.jpg
Tried to put it back together but messed up the exhaust gasket a little so will be hitting the auto parts store. Its awefully hard to put back together by yourself - the manifold must weigh 50 lbs and you have to hold it straight with one hand and try to start a bolt with the other!! I'll get help! I'll also let everyone know how this whole adventure worked...hopefully this weekend.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Lobsterslayer, call Bill weeks at ACME, he RULES!

I just bought a #275 4 blade ACME for my 91 prostar WITH powerslot and it rules supreme baby!!!

He is very knowledgeable and great to deal with. I highley recommend him and I am speaking from expereince.

THat prop did wonders for my boat. Ended vibration, quicker holeshot, way quieter, and hold speed in corners better. This was the best money I spent on my MC. it was like a tune up on steriods or something. :twocents:

Let me know if you get one!!!!!

Dan K
08-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Lobster, I also got an ACME earlier this year 81 Powerslot, but I went with Bill's suggestion to go with the new 3 blade. The surface area ia so much greater on the CNC props that the 3 blade gives better hole shot and still maintains or increases the top end. Talk to him, he was a big help and like everyone else I was impressed with the results.

OJ also offers CNC props but I do not think they have the 3 blade in a 13.5x17.5 that I used.

Good work on your manifold !

I temporarily inserted two studs to hold the manifold in place when I installed mine.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Dan, so your one of the few guys that he mentioned that had the new #810 then?

We talked about that prop too, but I opted for the 4 bl cuz I just wanted to try it.

cool that you like it. :toast: