PDA

View Full Version : Prostar Oil Filter???

Barefooter92
09-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Who is responsible for designing the location for the oil filter in the mid 90's Prostar? PITA!

Had to drop it in place then slide it forward in the bilge to remove it from the front of the engine. After removing the intake to the trans cooler. Like wise the new one had to be slid from the front of the bilge to the back then raised.

Anyone have the same issue or tricks to remove the filter?

Also anyone have the part number of the oil filter for the Chevy motor, not the LT1.

I removed a NAPA Gold 1069 and installed a Purolator L34361. Either one of those correct?

What Filters are you running, and which ones should we stay away from?

Jerseydave
09-10-2011, 10:39 PM
NAPA 1069 for me every time. Some people say stay away from Fram, go with Wix or NAPA.

Barefooter92
09-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah I will use the NAPA next time. First time filter change for me and this was found when I turned the filter out. Do you have the same issue removing the filter?

Jerseydave
09-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Yeah I will use the NAPA next time. First time filter change for me and this was found when I turned the filter out. Do you have the same issue removing the filter?

My boat is a V-drive so the engine sits backwards. No issue getting the filter off and on, I just have to push the raw water hose out of the way. Use a large ziplock freezer bag after loosening the filter and slide it over the filter then remove it the rest of the way by hand. The bag will catch any oil spilled and keep your bilge clean.

I even fill the new filter with oil before putting it on.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2011, 11:13 PM
A remote oil filter adapter is always an alternative if you have a decent location to mount it.

mcparadise
07-13-2012, 07:04 PM
A remote oil filter adapter is always an alternative if you have a decent location to mount it.
I plan on adding a remote oil filter, as mine is hard to change out (5L 305 1997 Chevy Indmar 98 Sportstar19). I have the adapter and a new filter inlet/outlet fitting.

Maybe a dumb question, but, I better ask: Regarding the mounting location, does the length of the supplylreturn hoses matter? I'm sure there's going to be a pressure drop... I would hate to screw this up. Re location, I was going to try and mount in void space above tranny after having special brackets fabed by a local hot-rod shop (attached to engine rear side bolt locations (several there I "think" that could be used to mount the bracket). Of course not in the way of tranny dipstick.

mikeg205
07-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Put the filter in a baggy before it drops... learned that hear...now bilge stays clean...I always check the trans cooler on my '95 (at least once a week) no big deal to take that off. I run the Illinois River....lots of brown/green water and grass. It's just a 2 beer project....

JimN
07-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Who is responsible for designing the location for the oil filter in the mid 90's Prostar? PITA!

Had to drop it in place then slide it forward in the bilge to remove it from the front of the engine. After removing the intake to the trans cooler. Like wise the new one had to be slid from the front of the bilge to the back then raised.

Anyone have the same issue or tricks to remove the filter?

Also anyone have the part number of the oil filter for the Chevy motor, not the LT1.

I removed a NAPA Gold 1069 and installed a Purolator L34361. Either one of those correct?

What Filters are you running, and which ones should we stay away from?

Who do you think? It's a GM engine!

The short AC filter is the PF25 and the long one is PF1218. If you want to use these, and they work just fine, you can. If you don't, you can use the numbers as a reference. The NAPA and CarQuest filters are made by WIX.

When I was working for the MC dealers and doing tons of oil changes, I would cut the bottom of anti-freeze jugs off about 4" high and save them. Before the oil change, I would pay a couple of layers of paper towels down under the filter, put the jug bottom under the filter and loosen it. The oil would drain into the jug and when it stopped, I'd unscrew it and put it in the jug before sliding it to a place where I could remove it without spilling. The oil was sucked out with a vacuum tank or a pump on a bucket. I think I used gravity to drain the oil once- that's a total waste of time, IMO.