PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a 351

pwilson431
09-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I am looking at getting a old 351 rebuild and put in a old stars and stripes I am trying to bring back to life. I do not know what the cost of that would be. Have anyone had a local shop rebuild that engine? Any information would help Thanks

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2011, 11:50 AM
No numbers to offer here, but the key point and expense will likely be getting the correct profile camshaft. If you search you should be able to come up with cam threads that will be helpful.

What year Stars & Stripes? Any pictures?

shortyx250
09-12-2011, 02:55 PM
I would buy a long block crate motor. I got mine from Tide Water for 1600 delivered. 2 years running, and its been a great motor.

MissileMech
09-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Ditto on the long block....

joniron1
09-13-2011, 05:05 PM
I would get a short block and a set of gt40p heads.I repowered my 89 prostar 190 this spring and this is a reasonably priced ,great engine.$1350 for short block delivered with no core and 2 yr warranty from rapido marine,$400 for reman gt40p heads w brass freeze plugs delivered with warranty from odessa cylinder head .both can be found on ebay but were a little cheaper dealing with their websites directly. Also i would make sure you get a one piece rubber oil pan gasket the gasket set that came my short block was 4 piece cork,A rubber felpro gasket from autozone was $20 .I found it on their website ,ordered it and picked it up at the store the same day.good luck

dpcsar
09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
What type of power are you looking for? What are your goals?

I just rebuilt my 351. I am into it for $3000 for parts and labor, but I am getting my parts at a discount. I did a stroker (393). I did all the upgrades, which includes rollers everywhere, hydraulic lifters, and aluminum top end. So I went for power and longevity of the motor. That year of motor did not have rollers, so a stock rebuild is going to give you a motor that will not last as long. Upgrades are expensive, but I didn't want any problems for the future and for the motor to last many seasons. My motor is ~500 hp and to buy it already built up it would be ~$10,000.

I would like to know what is everyone's love of the gt40 heads? You can get aftermarket aluminum head and intake that has better flow and giving more HP. Also from what I have been told and seen, you need to match the cam to the head/intake. I was going to wait to rebuild the top end, but the top was not adjustable, which caused problems, so rather than make it adjustable I went with a new top. Going with a new top cause the cam guy to tell me to go to a different cam to utilize the new top.

Depending on your goals... If you want power, then I would do what I did. If you want something quick and still good, then I would buy a long block with a rollers everywhere for longevity. I have been told rollers will add HP.

My $0.02

MissileMech
09-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Rapido Marine will provide rollers for an additional $200 or so. As far as building for a lot of HP my wife is already afraid to push the throttle forward too fast with a 351W at a paltry 240hp. I sure like not funding the marina through my fuel purchases but I am also sure I will get to the point of wanting more power. GT40 heads will help.

gr82bgreen
09-14-2011, 11:50 AM

I just rebuilt my 351. I am into it for $3000 for parts and labor, but I am getting my parts at a discount. I did a stroker (393). I did all the upgrades, which includes rollers everywhere, hydraulic lifters, and aluminum top end. So I went for power and longevity of the motor. That year of motor did not have rollers, so a stock rebuild is going to give you a motor that will not last as long. Upgrades are expensive, but I didn't want any problems for the future and for the motor to last many seasons. My motor is ~500 hp and to buy it already built up it would be ~$10,000.

I would like to know what is everyone's love of the gt40 heads? You can get aftermarket aluminum head and intake that has better flow and giving more HP. Also from what I have been told and seen, you need to match the cam to the head/intake. I was going to wait to rebuild the top end, but the top was not adjustable, which caused problems, so rather than make it adjustable I went with a new top. Going with a new top cause the cam guy to tell me to go to a different cam to utilize the new top.

Depending on your goals... If you want power, then I would do what I did. If you want something quick and still good, then I would buy a long block with a rollers everywhere for longevity. I have been told rollers will add HP.

My $0.02

I would be concerned using aluminum heads and intake on a marine application due to corrosion. Thus the love for the GT40 and GT40p heads.

dpcsar
09-14-2011, 03:23 PM
I would be concerned using aluminum heads and intake on a marine application due to corrosion. Thus the love for the GT40 and GT40p heads.

Corrosion??? I thought the aluminum was good at resisting corrosion?!?!?!

A quick search... http://www.keytometals.com/Article14.htm

rjracin240
09-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Corrosion??? I thought the aluminum was good at resisting corrosion?!?!?!

A quick search... http://www.keytometals.com/Article14.htm

Interesting article, a lot does depend on what series of aluminum is being used as to its ability to resist corrosion. We have to also keep in mind that boats can be used in waters that might have a high salt (Chloride) content. Aluminum heads used in automotive use have a closed loop cooling system with a coolant additive that provides additional corrosion protection.

Few excerpts from your article.

If the destructive forces are too strong, the oxide will be hydrated faster than it is formed, and little barrier will remain

For aluminum, pitting corrosion is most commonly produced by halide ions, of which chloride (Cl -) is the most frequently encountered in service. Pitting of aluminum in halide solutions open to the air occurs because, in the presence of oxygen, the metal is readily polarized to its pitting potential.

Kevin 89MC
09-14-2011, 05:52 PM

My $0.02

My love of the GT40 heads was they flow a TON better than the stock E7 heads, even with everything else remaining as stock, and I was able to get them off a 90's Explorer from a local junk yard for $35 each. I do agree they weigh a lot, and aluminum would be lighter, but can't beat that price.
Kevin

joniron1
09-14-2011, 07:16 PM
The extra low to mid power I got from the gt 40p heads is extremely noticeable.One of my wakeboarding buddies is 6'6" and around 250+ ,while my old motor got him up just fine the new motor has obviously got alot more grunt.The old motor had 170 psi compression so I think the heads are the main factor for power increase. My short block came with a marine cam but not anything radical ,so my conclusion is gt40p heads are an excellent stand alone power upgrade.Next step for me is an edelbrock performer intake and 4 blade prop.