PDA

View Full Version : original carpet specs?

tommcat
09-08-2011, 02:01 PM
i'm going to replace the carpet in my 97 and am trying to match it the best possible since i'm leaving the original under the rails and seats in. i think the original is cut pile, not berber? does anybody know what ounce carpet MC used back then?

Cloaked
09-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Marine carpet is usually speced out at 20 ounce if I recall correctly. If you're leaving the carpet that is out of sight, don't sweat it.

I can say this, when you remove the old carpet, pull it up as much intact in one piece, as possible. That will make for a good template for cutting the new. Makes life a lot easier with the carpet replacement.

I have found it easier in the long run to remove the seats in lieu of cutting around them, but (obviously) that is your call....

Gabe63
09-08-2011, 11:21 PM
This stuff is pretty good quality. Order the sample card for $2 and see what you think. Seems to be the same material as my 2000, pile, nylone weave rubber backed. I plan to use it on my trailer, way nicer than the crap they sell at trailer stores.

Let me know what you think when you get it.

tommcat
09-08-2011, 11:29 PM
gabe, was there supposed to be a link to something in your post?

Gabe63
09-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Opps, yes there was

http://www.yourautotrim.com/maraqturcar.html

Tmoney
09-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Tommcat, where are you going to "cut-in" the new carpet to the old carpet on the sides, so it looks good? Also are you going to stuff the new carpet under the the bow front seat?

tommcat
09-09-2011, 11:46 PM
Tommcat, where are you going to "cut-in" the new carpet to the old carpet on the sides, so it looks good? Also are you going to stuff the new carpet under the the bow front seat?i was going to cut as tight as possible to the bow seat fiberglass and right up to the sides in the rear. i'm hoping i can get it to look good, i dont think it will be a problem. i ordered about 10 different samples from a couple different companies this week so hopefully i can come up with a good match.

Tmoney
09-10-2011, 12:46 AM
I'm thinking about doing the sane thing. Keep us posted would love to see your progress.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2011, 01:34 AM
When I replaced the floor and carpet in my fishing boat, the best marine carpet I found was at a local carpet store. By far the best price and way more color options.

tommcat
09-10-2011, 12:12 PM
When I replaced the floor and carpet in my fishing boat, the best marine carpet I found was at a local carpet store. By far the best price and way more color options.

i checked out a couple of local stores and couldnt find anything around here that didnt just look like indoor/outdoor carpet you'd find on a patio. they really would have made my boat look bad. i've got a couple more to check out though.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2011, 12:21 PM
i checked out a couple of local stores and couldnt find anything around here that didnt just look like indoor/outdoor carpet you'd find on a patio. they really would have made my boat look bad. i've got a couple more to check out though.

I had a referral from a friend who had done his boat the previous year. I had probably a dozen brands to choose from with some being much more luxurious than what I was matching. I will be going back when I replace the carpet in my boat. The PO put in some nice looking carpet, and I am sure it will last forever, but it is pretty rough. Not to mention a really good looking salesgal:D

tommcat
09-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Not to mention a really good looking salesgal:D

i'd shop there weekly if that was the case:D

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2011, 12:48 PM
i'd shop there weekly if that was the case:D

After 3 or 4 weeks of shopping and not buying, the service goes down hill. Just sayin'

tommcat
09-10-2011, 01:13 PM
After 3 or 4 weeks of shopping and not buying, the service goes down hill. Just sayin'

so just buy the carpet a few small pieces at a time, then go back for the glue, then tools and so on. you should be able to keep shopping there for about a year before she catches on8p

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2011, 01:26 PM
so just buy the carpet a few small pieces at a time, then go back for the glue, then tools and so on. you should be able to keep shopping there for about a year before she catches on8p

Sounds like Johnny Cash building his car one piece at a time.

tommcat
09-24-2011, 08:11 AM
i ordered my carpet yesterday after getting samples from a few companies. i ordered 20 oz tan glue in carpet from custom marine carpet. i'll update when i get the project under way

Gabe63
09-26-2011, 12:03 PM
i ordered my carpet yesterday after getting samples from a few companies. i ordered 20 oz tan glue in carpet from custom marine carpet. i'll update when i get the project under way

Do you have a link?

tommcat
09-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Do you have a link?here ya go. i went with 20 oz cut pile

http://www.snapincarpet.com/products.cfm

_fng_
09-26-2011, 02:11 PM
here ya go. i went with 20 oz cut pile

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences with replacing the carpet, keep us posted.

stx22
09-26-2011, 03:40 PM
here ya go. i went with 20 oz cut pile

Tommcat, how much carpet did you order? I tackled this project in my 97 two winters ago. I was going to just replace the stuff that shows, but I ended replacing the entire carpet. New carpet turned into a complete restoration...

Anyway, the real issue I had was that the engine cover, pass through (205), and the back piece under the back seat (which is never in the boat and has been stored since 2000) looked really crummy mismatched. I pretty much had to take the whole boat apart to get to that stuff. Naturally, they ended up being the most difficult part of the job to tackle. I was shocked how many items are carpeted in that boat

Make sure to pull the carpet out in one piece (or pieces to use as a template). Also make sure to fill in the screw holes or mark them. For some reason I recall having a heck of a time removing the brackets for the gas shocks on the engine cover, then finding new ones, etc...

I have a detailed parts list, diagrams, carpet coverage, measurements, etc... if you run into trouble shoot me a pm.

tommcat
09-26-2011, 04:56 PM
Tommcat, how much carpet did you order? I tackled this project in my 97 two winters ago. I was going to just replace the stuff that shows, but I ended replacing the entire carpet. New carpet turned into a complete restoration...

Anyway, the real issue I had was that the engine cover, pass through (205), and the back piece under the back seat (which is never in the boat and has been stored since 2000) looked really crummy mismatched. I pretty much had to take the whole boat apart to get to that stuff. Naturally, they ended up being the most difficult part of the job to tackle. I was shocked how many items are carpeted in that boat

Make sure to pull the carpet out in one piece (or pieces to use as a template). Also make sure to fill in the screw holes or mark them. For some reason I recall having a heck of a time removing the brackets for the gas shocks on the engine cover, then finding new ones, etc...

I have a detailed parts list, diagrams, carpet coverage, measurements, etc... if you run into trouble shoot me a pm.
i got a 6x30 foot roll. i plan on doing the whole thing except for under the observers seat and bow seats, i'm going to cut the carpet right at the edge of the fiberglass for that part.
i am doing all new vinyl over the winter so i'll have the sides and everything else out so i'm going to replace it right up the sides and the piece under the rear seat. if my measurements were correct i think i have enough to do all that including the small amounts on the sides and motor cover. i may change it up a bit and do a little less carpet and more vinyl on the motor cover though.
i plan on taking it out in as complete as i can to use as a template, i pulled on it in a few spots and it seems like the old glue is really dried out and the carpet pulled away pretty easily. hopefully i dont have that much glue to scrape and sand.

if i bone it up at all i'll certainly be in touch for some help, thanks

stx22
09-26-2011, 05:49 PM
You should be fine. IIRC I got an 8 x 15 roll of delux cut pile from corinthian. I heard it was the stuff MC used back then (not verified). Anyway, it was all they had left (I was told they were only going to be selling snap in carpet thereafter) and all the other carpet samples I could find back then were not even close to the OEM carpet quality. I made it with very little to spare.

Anyway, In your 205 you have to get up under the bow and the drivers cockpit was a pain as well. Scraping out the old glue and prepping the boat for new carpet was time consuming. The carpet at the bottom of the pass through is actually sewn to the vinyl (be careful with the clips) and the engine cover is is a combination of glue and rivets. It took a very long time to get this to come out right. I still need to redo the motor box insulation, I wish I had done it when I had it in pieces!

Take your time and you will not have any problems. There is nothing like new carpet!

tommcat
09-26-2011, 06:31 PM
what are you using for motorbox insulation? i need to do that too.

it just got all new gelcoat and a tower, carpet is on the way and the vinyl will be all new by springtime as well. this is going to be the most expensive 97 out there by the time i'm done. i know a lot of people would not have thought it was worth it but i really think this boat does everything well and i bought it cheap so why not?

stx22
09-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I plan on using this stuff. 1' Adhesive backed.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sound-absorbing-foam/=e8t5ei

All new gelcoat? I'd like to see that. Did you keep everything close to original or spice it up?

I did the skins and carpet two years ago. I didn't have much time that winter, but thankfully it didn't snow much. I sent the skins down to Jim around now and IIRC I didn't get them back and start putting them together until late march or early april. It worked out well because it gave me the chance to install heated seats so the little lady will drive in the cold and a shower for me so skiing in the cold isn't so painful.

tommcat
09-27-2011, 10:34 PM
I plan on using this stuff. 1' Adhesive backed.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sound-absorbing-foam/=e8t5ei

All new gelcoat? I'd like to see that. Did you keep everything close to original or spice it up?

I did the skins and carpet two years ago. I didn't have much time that winter, but thankfully it didn't snow much. I sent the skins down to Jim around now and IIRC I didn't get them back and start putting them together until late march or early april. It worked out well because it gave me the chance to install heated seats so the little lady will drive in the cold and a shower for me so skiing in the cold isn't so painful.

here is a thread i put some posts about the gelcoat. i kept it close to original but eliminated the teal and tan stripe and just made the black stripe wider. although the PO painted the boat red so it went to original original, not how i got it originally:rolleyes:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=43762

stx22
09-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Boat looks great! I would love to get rid of the burgundy stripe on my boat. Didn't like it from day 1.

gatorguy
05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Tommcat, how did the carpet and vinyl turn out? I don't know if I'm man enough to tackle it on my own. As far as the carpet goes, has anyone gone back in with snap-in carpet on these older boats? It seems like if you cut it you could then get it bound and add the snaps yourself. What if any are the draw backs to this?

Lets see some pictures.