PDA

View Full Version : Plastic trim and vents in a Stars and Stripes

sbuell
09-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I know this has been asked over and over again on this forum but I'm going to go there one more time. Has anyone ever come up with a source for any of the black plastic parts that were in the 80's stars and stripes. I'm talking about the front air intact grill, the motor box vent, the transom vent, the dash pod trim and the glove box. Since I am assuming that the answer is still no the next question is how many other people are looking for any of these parts and what would be a reasonable price anyone would be willing to pay for new parts. I am looking into options for making replicas of these and want to know if I should be making one-off parts or something that I could get more if others would be interested.

DemolitionMan
09-08-2011, 04:10 PM
I know this has been asked over and over again on this forum but I'm going to go there one more time. Has anyone ever come up with a source for any of the black plastic parts that were in the 80's stars and stripes. I'm talking about the front air intact grill, the motor box vent, the transom vent, the dash pod trim and the glove box. Since I am assuming that the answer is still no the next question is how many other people are looking for any of these parts and what would be a reasonable price anyone would be willing to pay for new parts. I am looking into options for making replicas of these and want to know if I should be making one-off parts or something that I could get more if others would be interested.

You will not find any of the plastic parts new, you will only find them used. I had to piece mine together. I got the steering wheel from advance auto, the new gauge's from airguide, the accessory knobs from west marine. I had a friend make the grills for me when he had the use of a water jet. Here are two links that may help you.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=33649

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=38619

americanskierJim
09-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Hey Sbuell, I made grill's for my LTD. Now that I have a 77 MC I am going to be making front and rear grills. I am making mine out of billet aluminum. The set for the 80 S&S would cost around $1,000.00 there is alot of work with cutting them and cleaning to make them look good on the boat. Here is a pic of the LTD ones.

tph
09-12-2011, 12:06 AM

I thought someone on here made some molds from an existing set so that they could make replacements out of fiberglass or some other material.

sbuell
09-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Demo and Jim, I have seen your solutions before and want to say great job. I have done similar replacements for my front and rear vents in the past. The big issue right now is really the dash pod plastic but I thought I would look into redoing all of it this time. I guess my real question is how many people would be interested if I could get reproductions of the original parts made. In other words is it worth my investment to even look at this option.

sbuell
09-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Anyone on here that may have replaced these old broken parts with something new but happened to hang on to the old ones I would be interested in them for making replicas. My 82 didn't have the front grill when I got it and they hadn't started venting the motor box yet so I never had that one either.