PDA

View Full Version : Ballast VS Boat weight limit

-V-
09-08-2011, 10:13 AM
Question is, if my boat has a wieght limit of 1400 lbs, does that include ballast?

I see people talking about how they added almost 2000 lbs of ballast yet i know it would be over the limit in wieght for capacity. How do I know if it is too much?

willyt
09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
let's put it this way: partial sinking is a good thing. sinking sinking is a bad thing. thats when you know you put too much in.

CantRepeat
09-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Question is, if my boat has a wieght limit of 1400 lbs, does that include ballast?

I see people talking about how they added almost 2000 lbs of ballast yet i know it would be over the limit in wieght for capacity. How do I know if it is too much?

I'm sure it does. That weight limit is gear, people, ballast and anything else you put in the boat.

-V-
09-08-2011, 10:28 AM
so if i have my boat loaded to max cap on people which would probebly be around the same for wieght, then i can't have ballast?

Double D
09-08-2011, 10:28 AM
let's put it this way: partial sinking is a good thing. sinking sinking is a bad thing. thats when you know you put too much in.

Good point!

I'm sure it does. That weight limit is gear, people, ballast and anything else you put in the boat.

Which means, once you throw all the ballast in, no one can go on the boat... :rolleyes:

DemolitionMan
09-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Good point!

Which means, once you throw all the ballast in, no one can go on the boat... :rolleyes:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

-V-
09-08-2011, 10:53 AM
ok, so add ballast take away people? How does everyone else do it?

willyt
09-08-2011, 10:56 AM
-V-,
I've been stopped by water patrol when ballast was loaded (its obvious on a 2005 X2) and had to dig around in my lockers, and they saw my rear sacs were filled. They knew i had ballast, they didnt care. My capacity plate has something like 1600 lbs, i have 2700lbs + people all the time. as long as you know that yourself and whoever is driving can do it safely.. i dont see a problem with it.

overloaded boats are just a fact of life when you're wakeboarding

tommcat
09-08-2011, 11:03 AM

I put in too much weight with ballast and then i add more with people

Kevin@MWMC
09-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Fill the boat up with 7-8 people, then add 2700 lbs. of ballast and you get a really nice wake. Fill the boat up to what you are comfortable driving with.

Never been hassled by the DNR or Sheriff when it was obvious we were full on ballast plus 7-8 people. They don't seem to care as long as you have all the required safety equipment.

vision
09-08-2011, 01:01 PM

LOL.

My neighbor with an X-25 asked me how much weight to place in his boat to surf. I told him to add enough ballast so that the boat seemed to be dangerously leaning to one side, then add about another 750lbs and it should be about right.

Quinten
09-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Does the weigth capacity includes factory ballast (kgb, hard tanks)?

mikeg205
09-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Good advce...just be polite and they probably won't put 2 and 2 together and write you a nasty saftey violation....which they could... the max weight is what you put in the boat...regardless of gear, ballast, and people.

02ProstarSammyD
09-08-2011, 01:34 PM
theres a fine line between safe and not. Surfing is different with the speed. I only have about 800lbs in my boat but I usually have 10 or 11 people people in the boat. That's probably somewhere in the range of 2400lbs on a boat that says 1200 lbs I believe.

oldairboater
09-08-2011, 04:24 PM
In my 55 years of being around boats minus maybe two years for being an infant. I have never seen anyone get questioned, ticketed, or warned about an overloaded boat. I have seen boats where suntan lotion was used as a lube to add a few more people. You exceeded manufactures recommendation. The problem I see with an overloaded boat is in civil court if you kill, maim, or drown people. If it ends up in criminal court I am not sure how it would affect you.

02ProstarSammyD
09-08-2011, 04:39 PM
In my 55 years of being around boats minus maybe two years for being an infant. I have never seen anyone get questioned, ticketed, or warned about an overloaded boat. I have seen boats where suntan lotion was used as a lube to add a few more people. You exceeded manufactures recommendation. The problem I see with an overloaded boat is in civil court if you kill, maim, or drown people. If it ends up in criminal court I am not sure how it would affect you.

That's bs. They'll just sue the manufacturer. There's no such thing as personal liability anymore.

willyt
09-08-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm going to sue mastercraft for not being injuried by my boat, thus i do not have a reason to sue them, thus losing out on reveue i could be gaining by suing.

That'd work in cali, right?

CantRepeat
09-08-2011, 05:50 PM
That's bs. They'll just sue the manufacturer. There's no such thing as personal liability anymore.

Hopefully the appeal goes MCs way. :mad:

oldairboater
09-08-2011, 08:45 PM
BS back at you. They sued the deep pockets manufacturer by stating it was a design flaw. That is a common practice. They could have just as easily sued the driver but I bet his pockets were too shallow. I am surprised that they didn't sue the driver but I didn't follow the case that close. I never expected a jury to rule against Mastercraft. There is always personal liability----. I have been in court being sued over personal liability. My liability was being the owner and not the operator. They sued me to get at my insurance and if it had went in their favor past my insurance liability limits a judgment would have been entered against me. There is no off limits for anyone when it comes to the tort system and lawyers.That's bs. They'll just sue the manufacturer. There's no such thing as personal liability anymore.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-08-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm going to sue mastercraft for not being injuried by my boat, thus i do not have a reason to sue them, thus losing out on reveue i could be gaining by suing.

That'd work in cali, right?

Now that is forward thinking.:rolleyes:

mikeg205
09-08-2011, 10:49 PM
yipes....next mc boat... the x-tort... the non litigous model...

CantRepeat
09-08-2011, 11:09 PM
yipes....next mc boat... the x-tort... the non litigous model...

Best post ever! I think you have won he internets!!!