PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

LanceD
09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I have owned my 1999 prostar 190 for the last 3 years but still have some questions as this boating thing is still new to me. These questions arise more out of concern that there may be issues on my boat I need to attend to. any response would be appreciated.

1. transmission noise in reverse. When I go into reverse, there is a distinctly different noise than when going forward or idling. The noise in reverse is louder, and much, much higher pitched. At first I chalked it up as the normal reverse sound, but I don't think that's the case any more. To add to this, how fast can one go in reverse? When I reverse, the speed is very very slow, even at moderate throttle.

2. bilge filling. I'm finding that my bilge is filling faster than I would think is normal. after a quick run (either skiing, knee boarding, or just traveling), I find that there is around 3 or 4 inches of water in the bilge. I've made it a practise to always manual drain the bilge after every run, lest I get to full. is this normal?

thanks in advance for any response

Lance

SkiDog
09-07-2011, 01:28 PM
I have owned my 1999 prostar 190 for the last 3 years but still have some questions as this boating thing is still new to me. These questions arise more out of concern that there may be issues on my boat I need to attend to. any response would be appreciated.

1. transmission noise in reverse. When I go into reverse, there is a distinctly different noise than when going forward or idling. The noise in reverse is louder, and much, much higher pitched. At first I chalked it up as the normal reverse sound, but I don't think that's the case any more. To add to this, how fast can one go in reverse? When I reverse, the speed is very very slow, even at moderate throttle.

2. bilge filling. I'm finding that my bilge is filling faster than I would think is normal. after a quick run (either skiing, knee boarding, or just traveling), I find that there is around 3 or 4 inches of water in the bilge. I've made it a practise to always manual drain the bilge after every run, lest I get to full. is this normal?

thanks in advance for any response

Lance

You might wanna change the tranny fluid and see if this helps.
As for the leaking, it could be the prop shaft packing needs replacing or the tracking fins-rudder-or strut may need to be resealed.

rd1900
09-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I think the louder noise in reverse is gear whine from straight cut reverse gears, as opposed to helical cut forward gears.

The8Ball
09-07-2011, 02:39 PM
1.) The reverse "gear whine" is normal (straight teeth for reverse - my toyota MR2 makes the same noise, if you hammer it in reverse). Just make sure the transmission fluid is full, clean. Nothing wrong there. Also, it doesn't back up fast, as you've noticed. Normal too.

2.) Regarding the bilge... my boat is about as old as yours (98 PS 205)... I had the same issue with water in the bilge. In general, there should not be that much. One of my mufflers was actually cracked; water was coming in from there. I re-glassed the joints on both mufflers, fixed that problem. Then I went ahead and put in a PSS vs. the traditional prop shaft packing. Now my bilge is pretty much "dry." No complaints. There are so many places where water can leak in: prop shaft, mufflers, exhaust hoses, exhaust outlets, speed-o pick ups, hoses on the engine, raw water pump - anywhere there is a thru-hull hole, or any hose that has water in it.

One thing you could do, that I didn't have to do... take off the engine cover, take out the rear floor panel, back seat cushion. Put the boat in the water, putz around. Be very careful around the engine though (don't get caught up in any belts!). See where the water is coming in from... You will be able to see everything, easy.

Lumbergh
09-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Could be exhaust hose or exhaust flange.

Here is what my bad flange looks like.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/DSC00963800x600.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/DSC00965800x600.jpg

Does anyone have a source for these besides spending $120 on a SS one?

3" pre 1994 Prostar. Everyone says NLA.

LYNRDSKYNRD
09-07-2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SSI03-3109090

east tx skier
09-07-2011, 05:41 PM
The reverse noise, if it is the higher pitch "whirring" noise, is normal.

As for the bilge, that is too much water. Check packing nut(s) as suggested and also look for leaks in the exhaust system near the mufflers.

MasterKraftS&S
09-07-2011, 06:14 PM
1.) One thing you could do, that I didn't have to do... take off the engine cover, take out the rear floor panel, back seat cushion. Put the boat in the water, putz around. Be very careful around the engine though (don't get caught up in any belts!). See where the water is coming in from... You will be able to see everything, easy.

Do this BUT first just set the boat(Bildge Dry) in water Engine off! See if water comes in. THEN start and check for other leaks. ALSO after next run - pull the boat with water in HULL and see where it leaks OUT!

mikeg205
09-07-2011, 11:40 PM
all great advice... also put some teflon tape on the plug.. repack the pack with the dripless cord..my boat is dry 99 percent of the time now...with ballast...I get some water... I am sure the adhesive on my 95 is cracked in many places.. I have found a number of rivets under the rub rail which I plan on replacing this year...don't want to separate the boat top from bottom so I need to figure out how to inject new adhesive effectively without creating more damage...right now leakage from rub rail is minimal so I may leave it......but check that too.