PDA

View Full Version : Why don't freeze plugs work in marine applications

Worthing skier
09-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Another why don't question ,

My understanding of the idea of core/freeze plugs is to allow for expansion of water when it turns to ice and for the ice to just push on the weakest point i.e the plug and thus prevent cracking of the block or head , so why in our marine application does this not seam to work ?

Look forward to some reply's on this .

Thanks

Kevin

MasterKraftS&S
09-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Another why don't question ,

My understanding of the idea of core/freeze plugs is to allow for expansion of water when it turns to ice and for the ice to just push on the weakest point i.e the plug and thus prevent cracking of the block or head , so why in our marine application does this not seam to work ?

Look forward to some reply's on this .

Thanks

Kevin

Ahh, words only spoken by someone who has opened the boat in the spring to find a freeze plug lying in the bilge. Seems(at least for me) their only REAL purpose was to let me know I FAILed need a new/used short block! Maybe even WORSE things WUOLD've happened.:cry:

JLeuck64
09-07-2011, 10:49 AM
They should be called core plugs because the only purpose they serve is to remove the sand used in the casting process.

tommcat
09-07-2011, 10:59 AM
They should be called core plugs because the only purpose they serve is to remove the sand used in the casting process.Correct, and technically most manufactures do call them core plugs

thatsmrmastercraft
09-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Very impressive.........2 out of 4 posts actually know what core plugs are. :toast:

CantRepeat
09-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Well, they worked for me on my 92. Pushed one out of the block behind the starter. Replaced it with a rubber one and it work fine.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Well, they worked for me on my 92. Pushed one out of the block behind the starter. Replaced it with a rubber one and it work fine.

It is funny that they work that way. I don't imagine that a rubber plug will just pop out though.

CantRepeat
09-07-2011, 11:42 AM
It is funny that they work that way. I don't imagine that a rubber plug will just pop out though.

It held for 4 seasons but I always carried an extra with me.

tommcat
09-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Very impressive.........2 out of 4 posts actually know what core plugs are. :toast:

i had better know that one or it's time to trade in the toolbox8p

thatsmrmastercraft
09-07-2011, 01:28 PM
It held for 4 seasons but I always carried an extra with me.

I see I wasn't entirely clear. I was questioning whether the rubber replacement core plug would pop out like a brass plug would. I have a rubber plug in one location on my boat. Good thought on carrying a spare.......I will have to add that to the spare parts box.

shortyx250
09-09-2011, 10:39 AM
I had a cracked block in my boat when I purchased it. Some poeple are just idiots and forget to winterize. Anyways I filled it up with water, and let it sit for the winter just to see if the core plugs would pop out. I think half of them did.

1980 S&S