PDA

View Full Version : How to check bent strut

81SNS
09-06-2011, 09:01 PM
I have searched this but didnt really find a good answer, Friday I talked the wife into taking the day off to go to the lake, hit something submerged bent a blade on prop but didnt just kill it, however it bent the crap out of my prop shaft, probably had 1/4" of runout in it when turned by hand (it still turned freely after impact) I got home and took everything apart, I was able to remove the shaft without removing the rudder but it was very tight against the rudder coming out, but does anyone have a reliable method of checking the strut for alignment?

east tx skier
09-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Does it look bent? I have bent the heck out of a prop and shaft and had the strut come out smelling like a rose.

FrankSchwab
09-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Well, if you had a straight propshaft, the answer is "If the propshaft goes through the shaft log (the hole in the bottom of the boat) without having to bend the propshaft, the strut is A-OK".

There is, of course, a bit of difficulty when your propshaft looks like a pretzel.

If you wanted to do a rough check, stick a piece of 1"OD pipe or dowel through the strut, and see if it goes through the log. Or, wrap tape around a laser pointer until it's 1" in diameter, insert it into the strut, and see where it points.

/frank

81SNS
09-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I can get a piece of 1 1/8" cold roll at work to slide in and see if it is in center of shaft log, wish I had thought about that today :rolleyes: and I could check it tonight, anyone have recomendations of the A.R.E double taper shaft vs the 1981 original keyed/tapered shaft?