PDA

View Full Version : Fuel guage

morgan320i
09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
I have a 94 190, i just bought it recently i filled up the otherday and realized the fuel guage does not work, it is stuck at 1/4 with the power off or on, should the needle drop without power? Is this probably a guage prob or the fuel level unit in tank?

skierdan
09-06-2011, 09:04 PM
I have a 94 prostar 205. replaced the fuel sending unit twice. mine reads full all the time when the key is on. when it reads 1/3 it really means empty and i have to dig out the oars. I love my boat but the fuel gauges are not reliable al all. I use a dipstick in the tank and judge by how muck stick gets wet.

no pun intended

mayo93prostar
09-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Morgan, I have a 93 and I had problem with mine too so I replaced it with a new ISSPRO model from www.skidim.com and it works great. this era of original fuel gauge has a foam float with magnets glued to it that fall out and/or the float sticks inside the tube. newer fuels with ethanol have not helped either. some have re-glued the magnets and/or sanded the float so it slides better but I recommend replacing it with a new metal tube type gauge and save the hassle and improve reliability. the new on is adjustable also. talk to skidim to get correct model for your boat. it was pretty easy to replace too.

also, you can test if it is the gauge or the sending unit. if you short the two leads on the sending unit together, the gauge should peg to full. open circuit should be empty.

ricford
09-06-2011, 11:41 PM
The fuel sending units are bad on these units (just fixed my 96 by re-gluing the magnets in place), but you said that the gauge stays at 1/4 even with the key off. That would suggest that the gauge itself is bad. Like mayo87 said, check the gauge by shorting the leads at the sending unit with the key on.