PDA

View Full Version : boat lights flashing...

jab
09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
This was our first weekend out with the new to me 06 X1, and we ran into an odd problem. The previous owner only put 20 hours on in the past 2 years, so there is bound to be a couple things that go wrong.

Last night when I was getting ready to head back to the docks, I turned the key and started the boat. Everything seemed to be fine at that point. Then I flipped one of the ballast pumps on and that's when it started, the dash lights went out and the pump never pumped anything, the motor is still running fine the whole time. I turned the pump off and removed the key and restarted, the boat starts fine, but the Perfect Pass starts cycling like it is rebooting about every second. I turned the nav lights on and all of the lights start cycling on and off several times a second in a constant interval that increases frequency with the load if I turn another circuit on. The engine is still running perfectly fine the whole time, so I drive it to the ramp lights and gauges flashing to load it up.

My car cycled similar to this once when the battery died, so that is my initial thought. Once we get the boat out of the water and parked, ten minutes later, we tested the battery voltage, and it was 13V. We decided to try to turn on the ignition, everything lights up like normal, and the radio works. Fifteen seconds later everything died, so we tested the battery again and it was at 12.7V, this seems like a lot of drop for such little draw. We are replacing the battery tonight since it was probably killed by the infrequent use. Hopefully that fixes it.

If anyone has seen anything similar to this or has any ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
John

thatsmrmastercraft
09-06-2011, 11:10 AM
It sounds like it is more likely a corroded connection. I would clean all battery connections including the block ground. I would also take a close look at the fuse box and probably clean all those connections as well.

HMF007
09-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Yup check all the connections. If the perfect pass keeps rebooting find the modular black box under the dash. Take out the four screws and push on the computer chips 5-6 times with your thumb. It looks like a 1 inch x 1 inch chip. Should fix the problem.

jab
09-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the tips. Everything is flashing together, nav lights, dash lights and Perfect Pass. I'll try to find a common ground or power that could have a problem.

Jerseydave
09-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Check the ground cable at the engine block. Even if it looks good, remove it and clean the area...sometimes rust will prevent a good ground. Also check the ground block under the dash.
Perfectpass said my '05 was known for bad grounds for the perfectpass so I ran a dedicated ground wire from the PP module all the way back to the engine block. Maybe '06 had bad grounds too??

Justjoe
09-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Mine did that once, and started playing that tune from "Close Encounters". Really kind of freaked me out!

Went to Batteries Plus and got a pair of Blue Tops.

jab
09-07-2011, 09:08 AM
It is a bad ground. Perfect Pass told us to check the ground going to the DBW module, there is a 14 pin connector on it that runs back to a white 9 pin connector a couple feet down the wire. We spliced in a ground wire on the 9 pin on the boat harness. This fixed the problem. I would like to run a dedicated ground to the DBW for noise isolation since there are so many other things on the line.

Is there a wiring diagram for the X1 somewhere that I can get a copy of?

jab
09-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I found the cause of the problem, we removed the wall under the dash and there is a ground terminal strip. One of the screws holding down a couple ground wires came loose.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
I found the cause of the problem, we removed the wall under the dash and there is a ground terminal strip. One of the screws holding down a couple ground wires came loose.

That will do it every time.