PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing....Is it fun??

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Wakesurfing, I have never done it. I saw that picture on the swimsuit thread of someone wakesurfing and it looked like it might be fun. What can anyone tell me about it? :confused:

How fun is it? what can you do? how much movement do you have?

So how do you start? do you just start out laying on the board near the boat and the wake starts to push you? or do you start with a rope and then let go when the boat starts a wake?

This sounds interesting. I would love to see if anyone else has any pics of wakesurfing.

THanks!! :)

UMP

Leroy
08-02-2005, 11:20 AM
I like your spunk UMP190!!

Many people are doing it on our central indiana lake, mostly kids. Guessing they have an size advantage given the size of wake. I'm also wanting to try, but would like to borrow a board for first time.

Cary K.
08-02-2005, 11:21 AM
It is a blast. Load as much ballast as possible in one corner of the boat, set PP @ 9.8. Get about 15' line, lay on your back with the board in front of you. Rest your heels on the board and when the boat stats to go, dig your heels in. Easiest thing I have ever ridden behind a boat. You have quite a bit of movement, depending on the size of your wake. My X2 puts out almost waist high on me (6'3"). Front foot is gas, back foot is emergency brake. Just find the sweet spot.

Once you get the feeling and can let go of the rope, tricks become a little easier. I am sticking 360's pretty consistently, and fairly close on shuvits.

There are a few other topics regarding this. Check them out too. Have fun !!!

peason
08-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Upper - here is a website that explains it also:
http://www.howtowakesurf.com/

It is a lot of fun and pretty easy to learn!

ski_king
08-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Upper - here is a website that explains it also:
http://www.howtowakesurf.com/

It is a lot of fun and pretty easy to learn!
Looks like fun, I would love to try, who will loan me a board?

If you have a strong stomach, click on skull and crossbones in above link to remember a good reason we all bought a inboard.

08-02-2005, 12:41 PM
a big yes to that. that was bad.....gives me the heebie jeebies just thinking about it. :eek: :(

another nice side benefit to an inboard, prop under the boat tucked away safely.

Mag_Red
08-02-2005, 12:44 PM
It's a BLAST! Just get the longest board you can when first learning. I've managed to land on the swim platform........get into the boat for a beverage......get back on the board and get back on the wake with-out skipping a beat. It's was pretty funny the first time :purplaugh

BriEOD
08-02-2005, 12:54 PM
I've got to see that one for myself. I tend to call BS (just look at my avatar). However, Bob you'll have to demonstrate when I come visit.

AirJunky
08-02-2005, 01:25 PM

If you have a strong stomach, click on skull and crossbones in above link to remember a good reason we all bought a inboard.
Don't be so gullible to think your above that sort of accident just because of the type/brand of boat you own. I have pictures of a similar accident caused by a rope...... on an MC. To this day the girl has gone thru multiple surgeries & has very limited use of her hand.
If you like, drop me a PM & I'll send you the pic.

Mag_Red
08-02-2005, 01:25 PM
I've got to see that one for myself. I tend to call BS (just look at my avatar). However, Bob you'll have to demonstrate when I come visit.It's really quite easy. With my wake you are almost on top of the swim platform. The board sped up and I was stuck with the tip of the board wedged there. I decided to step onto the platform. Grabbed my beer....took a swig......got back on the board...put some pressure on the back foot and it become free. I crack myself up sometimes :D

BriEOD
08-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Ok, I belive you Maggy...show me when I come up. Actually, I'd love to try Wake Surfing.

AirJunky
08-02-2005, 01:33 PM
A good friend of mine has started a stock photography website called High Impact (http://www.highimpactstockphotography.com/htm/catalogs/inland_surfing/gindex1.htm)
He has some pretty cool shots of the surfing done on Sammamish these days. We've had a little fun with it, even though most of us are well into 200 lbs.

ski_king
08-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Don't be so gullible to think your above that sort of accident just because of the type/brand of boat you own. ......
I know it can happen.... just a prop injury is less likley to happen when the prop is thucked up undernieth.

We must all think safety at all times, things can and do go wrong at times.
I helped out a neighbor a few years ago until the ambulance arrived who fell out of the front of a bow rider and got ran over and cutup by the prop. He was lucky, just cuts to the thigh and groin area, and just missed vital areas.

Now back to wake surfing, what about carbon monoxide? Is that a problem?

AirJunky
08-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Now back to wake surfing, what about carbon monoxide? Is that a problem?
I'm not sure that it's a problem while your surfing & the boat is moving. Although, I believe that Centaurian has special side vent exhaust that is supposed to make the exhaust avoid the surfer.
But I know it's a huge problem while the boat is sitting still & running & there is no breeze to move the exhaust along.

08-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Yes, safety first always boys and girls!!!

anything can happen, we just must be as smart as we can about safety, but still have fun.

Mag, you rule!!!

The CO is a concern too I guess.... I thought it would be ok with the boat moving and being off to one side of hte boat a bit. I know I hate breathing exhaust fumes on my swim deck when putting on my ski. I dont sit there long. I get off the deck and SKI!!!

any other input on the exhaust issue??

ski_king
08-02-2005, 02:54 PM
any other input on the exhaust issue??
I saw this on the link earlier.
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/

I wonder how it affects steering and wake?

jimmer2880
08-02-2005, 04:29 PM

I have use of a buddy's old longboard we ride frequently. Come on over - I'll give you a ride.

08-02-2005, 05:17 PM
well, I will give my 2 cents on this. I think that Fresh air exhaust thing is a joke. So big deal, it moves the exhaust about a foot under the water and its still going to bubble up into the air......duh..... so its not gonna change at idle. the fumes will still bubble up into the air while your on the swim deck. as far as skiing, its a non issue. but the for the passengers in the boat with the "station wagon" effect he mentions, I can see where that matters in a vehicle, but on a boat totally exposed to the open air, I just cant see it. If this was that valid of a safety issue like they portray it to be, people would be dropping like flies on boats. the Gov would have required something to be done long ago if passengers were at risk of CO poisoning just by riding in a boat.

its not gonna change much. I think that website is an infomercial with some biased data to promte those overpriced PVC "Y" pipes.

maybe I am wrong, but I think its all "smoke and mirrors" - pun intended :uglyhamme

AirJunky
08-02-2005, 05:42 PM
.............. but on a boat totally exposed to the open air, I just cant see it.
Actually it's not all that uncommon on boats with enclosed cabins, either canvas or hardtop. I know a family who barely got out of a houseboat in time a few years ago.
And a rider in Portland had some problems inside a 'bu this last winter. He had a full canvas top to the rear of the engine cover though........... not very common on many inboards.

dhcomp
08-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Try it, it kicks ***!

If you have a 190, its not the best boat to surf behind, but its decent with about 800lbs of balast and a full crew of 8. Get people to teh side you want to surf, put one sac in teh back in place of the seat, the other sac next to teh engine box.

I swore i would never put balast or any other "wakeboard related" crap in my boat....until i surfed behind a X30 and got hooked on it!

I love teh hyperlite broadcast board (the 5'6" one), but i bought the obrien alias (it was $100 cheaper - about $200). Its not bad.

shepherd
08-10-2005, 11:55 AM
Yes, safety first always boys and girls!!!

anything can happen, we just must be as smart as we can about safety, but still have fun.

Safety is overrated :friday:

If safety came first, nobody would ski, scuba dive, skydive, ride a motorcycle, drink and drive, get married, etc. Those things can kill you!

If safety came first, we'd all be spending our free time sitting behind computers "chatting" with people we don't know...... doh! :eek:

PendO
08-11-2005, 01:48 AM
Don't be so gullible to think your above that sort of accident just because of the type/brand of boat you own. I have pictures of a similar accident caused by a rope...... on an MC. To this day the girl has gone thru multiple surgeries & has very limited use of her hand.
If you like, drop me a PM & I'll send you the pic.

FWIW ... when we wakesurf someone sits on the back of the boat facing the rider (feet draped over the transom) that way if someone gets to much speed they can push them away ... probably not the safest, but with the boat on PP not really woried about falling off ... my dad is mid 50's and he really enjoys wake surfing ... I agree about starting with the biggest board you can .... GL be safe

PendO
08-11-2005, 01:52 AM
:headbang: well, I will give my 2 cents on this. I think that Fresh air exhaust thing is a joke. So big deal, it moves the exhaust about a foot under the water and its still going to bubble up into the air......duh..... so its not gonna change at idle. the fumes will still bubble up into the air while your on the swim deck. as far as skiing, its a non issue. but the for the passengers in the boat with the "station wagon" effect he mentions, I can see where that matters in a vehicle, but on a boat totally exposed to the open air, I just cant see it. If this was that valid of a safety issue like they portray it to be, people would be dropping like flies on boats. the Gov would have required something to be done long ago if passengers were at risk of CO poisoning just by riding in a boat.

its not gonna change much. I think that website is an infomercial with some biased data to promte those overpriced PVC "Y" pipes.

maybe I am wrong, but I think its all "smoke and mirrors" - pun intended :uglyhamme

I agree with you ... unless a rider is one of those jackasses teak surfing w/o a lifejacket (so that when then CO poisoning knocks you out you sink) I personally am not concerned with the exhaust ... actually I belive from a rep at the last boat show that at least one manf. spend an S-load of money investigating the issue and found that back seat passengers had more exposure to CO than a wake surfer.