PDA

View Full Version : Water in hull???

51timber
09-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Sooooo just how much water should be in the hull when I pull the plug from the center of the floor on my 2003 x30???

It is always about an in to a inch and a half above the T handle plug, making it about 4 to 5 inches deep. Also its always got an oil residue and I have noticed the back of my carpet is wet by the stern everytime I use the boat.

Any help would be great.

76S&S
09-06-2011, 09:06 AM
Not that much for sure. You should get a drip every few seconds from where the shaft goes through the hull. It could just be that you need to adjust the packing nut.

The bigger question is where is the oil coming from!

Thrall
09-06-2011, 12:28 PM
'03 should be a dripless packing, correct?
If so, there should be NO water in the bilge unless it gets in from topsides (wet people, water over the bow, etc).
Start the boat up on a hose at home and start looking for a leak in the cooling system.
If it is a rope packing though, may need to be tightened or replaced. Like 76 said, a drip every few sec out of a rope packing is correct.

JimN
09-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Sooooo just how much water should be in the hull when I pull the plug from the center of the floor on my 2003 x30???

It is always about an in to a inch and a half above the T handle plug, making it about 4 to 5 inches deep. Also its always got an oil residue and I have noticed the back of my carpet is wet by the stern everytime I use the boat.

Any help would be great.

Where are you and what year is the boat?

If you store the boat in a location that gets cold enough to freeze water so and your boat is pre-1999, I would guess that the speedo ballasts have burst and are leaking. It's just a matter of blowing out any air and soldering the crack(s) using a propane or MAPP gas torch.

If this is the cause of the water getting into the bilge, make sure the speedo lines are purged in fall and the lines at the front are disconnected before putting it away for winter.

Is it a lot of oil (like fat floating on soup), as opposed to a slight sheen with colors? It only takes one oil change with incomplete cleanup to allow a sheen to form every time water gets into the bilge. If it's a lot more, you'll need to keep the bilge dry before looking for a leak. If you never need to add oil, I'd say it's from bad bilge cleanup after an oil change.

PA Prostar
09-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I get some water in sometimes if I'm on the river and doing tighter turns all day. I suspect it's coming in at the rubrail somewhere. If I'm on the lake with more room, most of the time, it's dry at the end of the day.

I agree on the amount of oil. I'd suspect a sheen, but if it's drops or worse - there's probably a leak.

ntidsl
09-06-2011, 05:28 PM
its a 2003 so its not the pre 99 issue you mention jim...

its probably a ballast line or ballast...

why dont you look around while you are in the water someday and see where the water is coming from.

there are hundreds of options of where the water could be coming from.

I have a 05 and i have approx a cup of water after a normal weekend to answer your first question.

willyt
09-06-2011, 06:50 PM
ballast is always the problem. I take a ton of water in through the blower holes in the back when i come off plane (probably due to the fact that i have about 1500 lbs of ballast + engine back there). I'll vent the bilge 5-6 times on a normal day.

That and the wet-fish flailing competitions on the sundeck bring alot of water in :dance:

51timber
09-06-2011, 10:19 PM
The possibility of water coming in through the rear vents is there. Always tight turning with a lot of people.

Regarding the oil. When i bought the boat the battery was dead. The bilge stopped working and the rear plug wasnt taken out so a lot of water came in from the rain. Apperntly the tranny filled with rain water displacing the oil. We know it was fresh water because the marine inspector had the remaining oil inspected. We simply added oil and the tranny works perfect. Being that the oil was dispaced i assume thats what i see in the hull.

Regarding tightening the packing or the nut, please educate me. I am still new to the mastercraft world. Where is it located and how would I proceed. Thank you

Jbaba
09-07-2011, 02:45 AM
I had to replace my ballast bag in the floor locker of my 01 x30, the fittings on the bag had gone bad...all 3 of them and was putting alot of lake in my bilge...

76S&S
09-07-2011, 08:37 AM
51, assuming yours is not the dripless packing, there will be a large brass/bronze nut where the shaft passes through hull. You should be able to tighten it up until you get 1 to 2 drips every 10 seconds or so.

bobx1
09-07-2011, 09:37 AM
....Apperntly the tranny filled with rain water displacing the oil. We know it was fresh water because the marine inspector had the remaining oil inspected. We simply added oil and the tranny works perfect.....

Did you replace the Tranny oil 2-3 times after this??? If not, I would check it often and if it turns milky then you need to flush a few times. I had this happen to me when we blew a J-Hose.

tommcat
09-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Regarding the oil. When i bought the boat the battery was dead. The bilge stopped working and the rear plug wasnt taken out so a lot of water came in from the rain. Apperntly the tranny filled with rain water displacing the oil. We know it was fresh water because the marine inspector had the remaining oil inspected. We simply added oil and the tranny works perfect. Being that the oil was dispaced i assume thats what i see in the hull.

in order for rain water to get in the trans it would have to get high enough to go in the vent, which would be pretty high in the boat. i dont think it should have gotten in through the drain plug hole or filter hole since they're sealed. i had water in mine when i got it and it was from a faulty trans cooler pushing water into the trans, i changed the fluid many times and it would keep getting milky and overfilling the trans, spitting fluid into the bilge.
not saying that is your issue but it's something you might want to double check