PDA

View Full Version : 2011 - Cleaning white vinyl seat cushions

Will.I.am
09-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Have a new boat and much of the interior is white. Several of my vinyl seat covers have small dirty specks in them. Nothing unusual as far as the stains, just can't seem to get the specks to come out.

Tried standard cleaners - simple green, spray that comes in the new owner kit, 303, and apple vinegar with water mix. Specks are still there.

I don't think I have anything unusual here, just standard "lake stuff" on the seats.

Anyone have the same thing? Any good products out there? I didn't want to resort to bleach or anything crazy/heavy duty. The specks are not too bad, but I'm surprised they don't come out easier...

BrianM
09-05-2011, 10:45 PM
Little time in the sun. But if that doesnt get it Fantastik usually will get most everything out. It usednto be on the approved list of cleaners but is not any longer. I still use it occasionally if I get something pesky then just rinse and protect with 303.

jdeml
09-06-2011, 12:10 AM
maaco .......

Thrall
09-06-2011, 12:45 AM
maaco .......

malco.......leather and vinyl cleaner

ShawnB
09-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Going to sounds like a corporate shill here but the Mastercraft All Purpose Cleaner works amazing on the new vinyl. We have some that came for free with the new boat and I haven't found anything it can't handle.

wrobins1
09-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Magic erasers

Thrall
09-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Magic erasers

Not reccomended. I did use them on my 06 white vinyl and it did not appear to damage it, but others have warned against it, because they are somewhat abraisive.
What are the specks? Spider and fly sh!t is hard to get off.

epnault
09-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Where do you buy the mastercraft cleaner?

ShawnB
09-06-2011, 11:27 PM
We got it from Mastercraft directly when buying the new boat. Looks like you can buy it here: http://www.waterskis.com/Boat-Cleaning-Products-s/80.htm?searching=Y&sort=5&cat=80&show=9&page=1&brand=MASTERCRAFT

MIskier
09-06-2011, 11:40 PM
I have found that a very soft brush will also be more effective than using a cloth to try and remove the stain.

curtish
09-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Anybody use a toothbrush?

GT500 MC
09-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Going to sounds like a corporate shill here but the Mastercraft All Purpose Cleaner works amazing on the new vinyl. We have some that came for free with the new boat and I haven't found anything it can't handle.

Same here. Seems to be good stuff for cleaning. Don't know how good it will be for protectant though. Keep hearing about 303. May try that when I put the boat away.

jwardenjr
09-07-2011, 12:01 PM

This is the company that makes the detail products for Mastercraft

http://www.liquidperformance.com/solutions.php

jdeml
09-07-2011, 12:14 PM
malco.......leather and vinyl cleaner

Thanks Thrall!! Thats what I was meaning to say. Stuff works wonders!!!

Will.I.am
09-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Well I have used a brush, I'll try a few more things and see what happens.

Fast50dad
09-16-2011, 08:04 AM
We use scrubbin' bubbles and warm water for our boats.

Dylan
09-16-2011, 11:17 AM
I went off of several threads on Wakeworld that the dollar store LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner works wonders, and have had great success. Apply with a soft brush, then wipe off, rinse and apply 303. It's a clear bottle with yellow liquid, and red letters. Worked way better than the Starbrite vinyl cleaner it replaced!

and best of all, it was $1 :)

JRLx30
10-14-2011, 11:57 PM
Have a new boat and much of the interior is white. Several of my vinyl seat covers have small dirty specks in them. Nothing unusual as far as the stains, just can't seem to get the specks to come out.

Tried standard cleaners - simple green, spray that comes in the new owner kit, 303, and apple vinegar with water mix. Specks are still there.

I don't think I have anything unusual here, just standard "lake stuff" on the seats.

Anyone have the same thing? Any good products out there? I didn't want to resort to bleach or anything crazy/heavy duty. The specks are not too bad, but I'm surprised they don't come out easier...

Try hair spray! Yep. But I suggest you test it first in a place that is blind to the eye. just in case. I use Babe's seat soap cleaner and Babe's seat saver..finisher?? Works pretty good for everyday and hepls prevent the spots from sticking.

JRW160
10-15-2011, 12:23 AM
I went off of several threads on Wakeworld that the dollar store LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner works wonders, and have had great success. Apply with a soft brush, then wipe off, rinse and apply 303. It's a clear bottle with yellow liquid, and red letters. Worked way better than the Starbrite vinyl cleaner it replaced!

and best of all, it was $1 :)
Totally awesome is the best I have tried. Much better than 303 and simple green

Sullivan
10-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I have found that a very soft brush will also be more effective than using a cloth to try and remove the stain.

Small soft brush works best with just about any cleaner.

swatguy
10-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Malco and Totally Awesome Cleaner are very very similar products and are the next step up from the cleaners the op mentioned.

Totally Awesome works great and allows you some different options to dilute. they key is a brush. I havent tried the Malco, but like someone said there is a ton of stuff on both over at wakeworld and it all goes to them both being very similar. I will take the TAC for the cost. Its cheap.

Also for a daily cleaner I like Exquisite. Its only available through a store on Ebay called Ace distribution or distributing. It also uses the brush but has a conditioner built in as well.

No matter if you choose Malco or Totally Awesome make sure you use a protectant like Babes seat saver or 303 on after as the Malco and TAC will strip some ofo the conditioning/prtection oil on the vinyl.

atlfootr
11-15-2011, 09:23 AM
Jus' call Jim, I'd ask what's the best AND SAFEST product to use.

Patrick Hardy
11-15-2011, 10:22 AM
A lot of people I know use Exquisite Boat Vinyl / Upholstery Cleaner bought thru ebay. I have never used it myself, but all of the people I know that use it highly reccommend it. Their boat vinly looks great after using it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Exquisite-Boat-Vinyl-Upholstery-Cleaner-32-oz/320220634366?category=26455&ih=011&item=320220634366&rd=1&sspagename=WDVW&vxp=mtr

agarabaghi
11-15-2011, 10:46 AM
malco +1

and then 303 for protection.

JohnnyB
11-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Where do you buy malco

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

agarabaghi
11-15-2011, 04:32 PM
http://www.amazon.com/LEATHER-PLASTIC-CLEANER-16-OUNCE/dp/B002QCRNXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321392741&sr=8-1

macattack
12-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Well I have used a brush, I'll try a few more things and see what happens.

Bump...any update on which products worked?

We were out in the boat recently and some type of "debris" was literally floating around in the air. When you wiped it off, it would smear yellow. I've tried a bunch of cleaning products (babes, simple green, shoutout, magic eraser, LA totally awesome) without any success. The lake that we were skiing in is lined with pine trees...not sure if it from them or not. I have been back in Florida for 5 yrs and have not seen this type of debris. Any thoughts? tks, mac

Here are some before shots and after I wipe it off...

corey
12-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Mac, tar sometimes leaves a similar looking stain. It's hard, sometimes impossilble to get out. For tar I've had the best results with 3M Citrus Base Cleaner. This stuff is NOT cheap, but works pretty well for spot treatment. http://www.shop3m.com/62461549305.html

swatguy
12-15-2011, 06:22 PM
I will second the citrus base cleaner. Works well for tar n things like that. I would give that a go for the spot.

Sullivan
12-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Thats Bee Crap. I've seen my ski partner use acetone to get it off of his Malibu Promo boats. I have noticed that if you can get to it quickly it won't stain. Our lake is right next door to a berry farm and they release a boat load of bees every year and I can always tell when the do it.

macattack
12-16-2011, 09:53 AM
Thats Bee Crap. I've seen my ski partner use acetone to get it off of his Malibu Promo boats. I have noticed that if you can get to it quickly it won't stain.

Sullivan: I believe you nailed it...the new lake I just started skiing at has a bee farm on it...that's going to "BEE" a bummer! Yesterday, I used some of my ski boot butter/slime and towel to hit the spots as they were appearing. It seemed to get most of spots off without staining, but that is going to "BEE" a lot of work!

Seems Acetone would be pretty harsh on the vinyl?? May try the 3m citrus product suggested above.

I will also stop at the bee farm and see if they use any cleaning products...tks for the inputs, mac

Sodar
12-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Also, the sun will naturally bleach the stains out over time. I had one on my engine hatch at the beginning of summer and it disappeared after a weekend of using the boat. It's an eyesore, but in my experience, it is not permanent.