PDA

View Full Version : Smart phone suggestions

shepherd
09-05-2011, 03:11 PM
We're looking to upgrade from our "dumb phones". My wife liked the Samsung Infuse 4G. I'm thinking about getting the Motorola Atrix, mainly because it seems to be more "pocket sized."

Any positive or negative comments about these phones? The main features we want are: (1) web browsing of course; (2) listening to music - will we be able to load our iTunes songs onto these?; and (3) gps navigation.

Our service provider is AT&T.

tommcat
09-05-2011, 04:16 PM
i just finally switched from a dumb phone to a droid. i had been waiting for a ruggedized phone since i've killed 2 by dropping them in the river and i'm a mechanic that just does horrible things to phones. i got the casio commando and so far couldnt be happier. it's waterproof, shockproof and is perfect for the harsh environment in the boat.
plus with the smart phone i have a few apps which come in real handy. i have a gps based speedometer which is better than the boats speedo's. google maps superimposes your location onto satellite imagery which is nice navigating the river, and i put all of my music on the phone and hooked that up to the aux input of the boat stereo(like an ipod) and dont have to deal with CD's ever again. plus with bluetooth i can take a phonecall right over the boats stereo.
only thing i dont know about is if your provider carries these phones

Double D
09-05-2011, 04:17 PM
iPhone4. :) No question about Music. Your iTunes wont play on the other ones. Love mine!!

Jeff d
09-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I support 200 lines of Verizon service and most have an Android device on them. I wouldn't buy any Motorola Android device as Moto Blur (Their user interface replacement) results in a lot of inconsistent behavior that we don't see on the Samsung and HTC devices. Moto Blur also results in the deletion of some options. One example of this is that in most Motorola Android phones we have you can't sort contacts by last name while you can on the same Android version on an HTC or Samsung product.

My guess is that this will improve since Google just bought out Motorola but for the moment I would not buy one.

Also, I'm not sure where Motorola gets their batteries but they've been generally pretty terrible on every product of theirs we've bought. They're usually swollen with very poor life in a year of normal use.

Also, IMHO the iPhone is overall easier to deal with, more consistent and easier to use in general than Android. Android does have some features that are better than iOS though such as far better navigation. I've used both OSs off and on for the last 2-3 years and for day to day stuff I'd pick the iPhone.

Footin
09-05-2011, 04:55 PM
I have had a Droid X for almost a year and have been very happy with it. It has on of the larger screens which I like. I figure if I am paying extra for the internet, I want to be able to see it.

bigmac
09-05-2011, 05:23 PM
iPhone 4, or wait til Oct-Nov for iPhone 5. Hard to beat iOS for consistency and reliability.

sp00ky
09-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Itunes syncs and plays just fine on my Droid. IPhone is not customizable enough for me. Steve jobs wants to control the user experience way too much.

east tx skier
09-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I'll throw in a vote for the latest incarnation of Android phone from HTC. As for music, you can upload your itunes folder and any other to Google Music and stream it to your phone without bothering to take up any hard drive space on your phone. This is a free service from google. It works extremely well on my EVO.

bigmac
09-06-2011, 11:15 AM
There are actually people who like Windows 7 too, so, go figure.

east tx skier
09-06-2011, 11:36 AM
It takes all kinds. ;) I have been running custom roms since the Gingerbread release. I don't think I could go back to the stock stuff at this point. My battery life and OS speed have dramatically improved and was able to offer up my internet connection this weekend so we could stream the football game at the lake this weekend.

-V-
09-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Evo Shift All The Way!!!!!!!

KnoxX2
09-06-2011, 01:36 PM
I Phone...... Love it great battery life. All around just a great phone.

CruisinGA
09-06-2011, 09:49 PM
My roommates, GF all have Droids. I have an Iphone 4.

They can change operating systems, skins and do some other "neat" stuff, but when it comes time to have a phone that ALWAYS works glitch free and with plenty of battery life, the iPhone is where it's at.

HD camera on the Iphone is much better as well.

Note: I am not a "Mac" person. My iPhone is the only Apple product I own, since it replaced my last iPod.