PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Indmar in my 205V

turbozinke
09-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I bought this 2000 Mastercraft 205V without an engine at all. Previous owner left water in the block and it froze. DUMMY! Anyways he owed the marina that pulled the motor more than he was willing to pay so he let them keep the motor and he took the boat and sold it to me! I found an Indmar motor from a wrecked 2007 Malibu direct drive on Craigslist in Austin, TX. It's got multiport fuel injection and all the wiring and ecm.

Now for the real part of the project... the install. Can't find any motor mounts to buy so I'm going to make some. Anybody got any pics of their rear motor mounts??

Also I need a wiring diagram for a 2000 205V. Thanks

JimN
09-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I bought this 2000 Mastercraft 205V without an engine at all. Previous owner left water in the block and it froze. DUMMY! Anyways he owed the marina that pulled the motor more than he was willing to pay so he let them keep the motor and he took the boat and sold it to me! I found an Indmar motor from a wrecked 2007 Malibu direct drive on Craigslist in Austin, TX. It's got multiport fuel injection and all the wiring and ecm.

Now for the real part of the project... the install. Can't find any motor mounts to buy so I'm going to make some. Anybody got any pics of their rear motor mounts??

Also I need a wiring diagram for a 2000 205V. Thanks

You're going to make motor mounts? Call a marine salvage yard, or find the marina and buy the ones they took with the motor.

With this motor, it may perform well, but it will be by accident. The MC and BU don't weigh the same and the hull's characteristics make a big difference, too. MC ECM calibration is based on the boat model, not a general weight. Also, the distributor on yours isn't the usual GM style- it looks like the ones that Mercruiser used at that time. Look on the engine for a white paper sticker that has the serial number. If it has one, it would have IC followed by six digits.

DemolitionMan
09-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Why didn't you ask the marina that has the motor how much they wanted to fix it?

turbozinke
09-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Why didn't you ask the marina that has the motor how much they wanted to fix it?

It was a couple years ago and it was in Indiana. The marina had sold the motor. No choice but to start from scratch unfortunately.

turbozinke
09-05-2011, 12:39 PM
You're going to make motor mounts? Call a marine salvage yard, or find the marina and buy the ones they took with the motor.

With this motor, it may perform well, but it will be by accident. The MC and BU don't weigh the same and the hull's characteristics make a big difference, too. MC ECM calibration is based on the boat model, not a general weight. Also, the distributor on yours isn't the usual GM style- it looks like the ones that Mercruiser used at that time. Look on the engine for a white paper sticker that has the serial number. If it has one, it would have IC followed by six digits.

What's an IC? There are several stickers on various thing, intake, distributor, that are six digits 129176. I talked to the Malibu dealer in Austin, and they said they sold the Malibu XTI 21 new in 2007. Are these motor mounts generic or MC specific?

Thrall
09-05-2011, 01:31 PM
It's a small block CHevy 350, so the motor mount holes in the block will be the same as the Indmar 350 that came out of the boat. Bet you could get th mounts from a dealer or a salvage yard, seeing as the 205V (Xstar, X2, X1) was one of the largest production boats MC had. Tons of them out there, gotta be a bunch of wrecked ones somewhere.
Bellhousing and damper plate should bolt right up. You'll need V drive exh manifolds since you're installing hte engine "backwards" from how it was.
That distributor cap looks just like my Indmar MCX. Unless the new motor is a drive by wire, I don't see too many complications.
Engine performance should be a non issue, IMO. It is a 300hp engine, give or take. Similar to what came out of the boat.

lintwurm
09-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Herewith a pic of the port side mounting. Busy restoring this one. Still a long way to go.

JimN
09-05-2011, 08:25 PM
What's an IC? There are several stickers on various thing, intake, distributor, that are six digits 129176. I talked to the Malibu dealer in Austin, and they said they sold the Malibu XTI 21 new in 2007. Are these motor mounts generic or MC specific?

IC is the first part of an engine serial number when it comes from Indmar. IC means Indmar, Chevrolet. If it had IF, it would be Indmar, Ford.

Those are marine motor mounts. I don't know why you would have trouble finding them- call an MC dealer or a marine salvage yard, as I mentioned.

JimN
09-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Herewith a pic of the port side mounting. Busy restoring this one. Still a long way to go.

If you want to take the rust off without using Naval Jelly, try citric acid. It's in the Kosher Food aisle of most grocery stores. A tablespoon in a pint of warm water should take about 2 hours. Rinse it off, dry it and call a plating shop- ask if they do any rust-resistant coatings.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-05-2011, 09:40 PM
indmar website you can find your information here

http://www.indmar.us/

lintwurm
09-06-2011, 03:22 AM
Thanks Jim. Boat was neglected by the PO. Will try the citric acid. Will it eat paint? Want to put some on the headers.

JimN
09-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Thanks Jim. Boat was neglected by the PO. Will try the citric acid. Will it eat paint? Want to put some on the headers.

It won't eat paint but it will work its way under. Go easy with anything that's acid-based when working with cast iron. If it's left in contact for too long, it will make tue surface porous. I would use chemical stripper and either wire brush or media blast the manifolds.

gr82bgreen
09-06-2011, 11:25 AM
It's a small block CHevy 350, so the motor mount holes in the block will be the same as the Indmar 350 that came out of the boat. Bet you could get th mounts from a dealer or a salvage yard, seeing as the 205V (Xstar, X2, X1) was one of the largest production boats MC had. Tons of them out there, gotta be a bunch of wrecked ones somewhere.
Bellhousing and damper plate should bolt right up. You'll need V drive exh manifolds since you're installing hte engine "backwards" from how it was.
That distributor cap looks just like my Indmar MCX. Unless the new motor is a drive by wire, I don't see too many complications.
Engine performance should be a non issue, IMO. It is a 300hp engine, give or take. Similar to what came out of the boat.

Could he not just swap the exh manifolds from side to side or are they different.

Thrall
09-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Could he not just swap the exh manifolds from side to side or are they different.

That may work, as I believe the exhaust ports/bolts are symmetrical on the engine, but never tried installing my exhaust backwards!
I was thinking more about the riser and how it hooks to the exhaust (angle/length different between the V drives and D drives?)
Since you mentioned swapping manifolds, may be able to just swap the risers.

gr82bgreen
09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
That may work, as I believe the exhaust ports/bolts are symmetrical on the engine, but never tried installing my exhaust backwards!
I was thinking more about the riser and how it hooks to the exhaust (angle/length different between the V drives and D drives?)
Since you mentioned swapping manifolds, may be able to just swap the risers.

He could look on skidm and compare part numbers.

turbozinke
09-06-2011, 05:35 PM
I have the exhaust manifolds from the boat before the motor was lost, so I think I'm good there. The only thing I still need is a fly by wire control for the throttle. The boat had cable throttle before, but the new engine needs it by wire. Any one know where one of those would be?