PDA

View Full Version : Prop and Shaft slide out

Calif_BobPerry
08-02-2005, 12:58 AM
Last Saturday we were on our way out to meet our friends in our 1981 S&S. Our son was driving :steering: and my wife and I were sitting in the back seat when the boat started to rumble really bad then it seemed to smooth out,about a minute later there was a big K-Bang. :eek: We coasted to a stop and I dropped anchor.When i looked under the boat the prop and shaft were resting against the rudder,after a long tow back from the Sheriff :cry: at Don Pedro we could'nt really tell what happened everything was connected to the trans. I'm gonna pull the floor up and look closer this week.Anyone have any ideas what might of happened. :confused:

brianaw26
08-02-2005, 02:06 AM
not really but the only way that could happen is if the shaft sheared off somwhere between the tranny and the strut.. you say the shaft was still connected to the tranny but the shaft and prop were resting against the rudder? weird.... maybe you hit a stump? i got no clue

jimmer2880
08-02-2005, 06:25 AM
When you figure it out, pls let us know... I'm at a loss for words also.

ski_king
08-02-2005, 07:51 AM
I had something siomular happen when I was skiing behind a friends "new to him" 81 CC a few years ago. The prop shaft twisted off right behind the strut.
As it turns out previous owner replaced the shaft with a home made shaft made out of inferior material.

lakes Rick
08-02-2005, 11:49 AM
I had something siomular happen when I was skiing behind a friends "new to him" 81 CC a few years ago. The prop shaft twisted off right behind the strut.
As it turns out previous owner replaced the shaft with a home made shaft made out of inferior material.

Friends Supra made a funny noise like that.. He apparently went over the "rock reef" at Crescent lake OR. When he lifted up his engine cover the shaft was gone and water was pouring in through the hole where the shaft was supposed to be.. Good thing his bilge pump was working........

Jerseydave
08-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Check for the following:

prop shaft is loose inside coupler at back of trans. When you go in reverse, the shaft "pulls out" of coupler, when you go forward, it goes back into coupler.

broken prop shaft???

engine/trans. has "slid back", which would be rare. Check motor mounts and trans. mounts. Check your stringers for rot (yours are wood, right?)

Let us know what the outcome is. Good luck.