PDA

View Full Version : Heater hoses

bbruzzese
09-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Hey does anyone the direction the water flows from engine to heater? does it flow to the heater from the shut off valve or return from the heater to the shut off valve? 08 PS197 w/RTP.

Thanks,

vision
09-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Normally from the shut off valve to the heater. But if you close the shut off valve and open the heater circuit some where, you will get back flow. In other words, if a hose pops off your heater and you turn off the valve, water will still leak. I learned that the hard way.

CiscoStu
09-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm not sure I agree with vision on that - when I split my heater core this past winter, I figured I'd just close the shutoff valve and not worry about it this season. Boy, was that the wrong thing to do - the heater core was still getting water (LOTS of water), and was peeing it out under the dash, into the bilge. It was all warm water, and it didn't take more than about 3-4 minutes at idle for the bilge pump to come on and stay on.

So, I think on mine ('06 X-30 MCX), it goes through the heater core first, then through the valve. You need a sealed system for the shutoff to do it's job. When the return can't flow because the shutoff is closed, water will stop flowing. If there's a hole anywhere in the system, you'll still get flow.

bbruzzese
09-08-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks Guys...I put the "y" pipe in and am just trying to figure out why i'm getting what seems like even less heat now then before installation. I assumed water flowed from shut off to the core...now i'm thinking that might have been backwards. think i'll swap hoses and see what happens...thanks again.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks Guys...I put the "y" pipe in and am just trying to figure out why i'm getting what seems like even less heat now then before installation. I assumed water flowed from shut off to the core...now i'm thinking that might have been backwards. think i'll swap hoses and see what happens...thanks again.

The old if at first you don't succeed thing.......:rolleyes:

chico
09-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Does your y pipe have a restrictor in it?

Jorski
09-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Do you have the Y pipe facing the correct direction? This can make a huge difference.

bbruzzese
09-12-2011, 01:44 PM
yes my Y has the restrictor and i assume its headed in the correct direction...return hose to the restricted arm pointing in the direction of flow...

vision
09-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm not sure I agree with vision on that - when I split my heater core this past winter, I figured I'd just close the shutoff valve and not worry about it this season. Boy, was that the wrong thing to do - the heater core was still getting water (LOTS of water), and was peeing it out under the dash, into the bilge. It was all warm water, and it didn't take more than about 3-4 minutes at idle for the bilge pump to come on and stay on.

So, I think on mine ('06 X-30 MCX), it goes through the heater core first, then through the valve. You need a sealed system for the shutoff to do it's job. When the return can't flow because the shutoff is closed, water will stop flowing. If there's a hole anywhere in the system, you'll still get flow.

That would make sense as I had your exact experience. I was basis flow direction on the fact that water comes out of the shut off valve fitting when the engine is running and no hose is connected. But perhaps with a closed circuit pressure forces the water the other direction.