PDA

View Full Version : Fuel sender removal

mmasters
09-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Anyone got ideas how to remove fuel sending unit in a 1996 205 Sammy? Too far over to pull through tow hook hole and no access hole in fiberglass under sun pad.

coz
09-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Anyone got ideas how to remove fuel sending unit in a 1996 205 Sammy? Too far over to pull through tow hook hole and no access hole in fiberglass under sun pad.

You beat me to it :D I'm sure someone with a 96 will chime in soon.

coz
09-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Here's how the 98 looks with the pad removed, you can see the hole I mentioned that gives you access to the sender.

mmasters
09-03-2011, 06:27 PM
I think I have a hole saw that big so I'm thinking an access hole may be the only answer.

_fng_
09-03-2011, 06:40 PM
In my '97 205 you can remove the back seat components and pull the tank forward to get access to the fuel sending unit. Unlike Coz's setup I have a seperate middle cushion above the removable seat so the '96 may be different than this.

coz
09-03-2011, 06:55 PM
In my '97 205 you can remove the back seat components and pull the tank forward to get access to the fuel sending unit. Unlike Coz's setup I have a seperate middle cushion above the removable seat so the '96 may be different than this.

No, he has that removable section of back rest like yours and the sunpad is bolted down.

mmasters
09-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Making an access hole won't work either. . .backing for sun pad bolt is there. Moving the tank foward won't help but moving the tank to the right would. Problem is that it's all the way to the right already. I found silicon just above moulding which leads me to believe the sender has been changed and they had to remove the whole fiberglass section on rear.

_fng_
09-03-2011, 07:39 PM
If you have the same setup as I do, you can remove the rear seats and floor board below the seat. The tank has a few connections that need to be removed (vent, fuel-in, brackets etc) but isn't too bad and I'm far from mechanically inclined.

mmasters
09-03-2011, 09:25 PM
For now I just blew compressed air in a small vent hole for the float (inside aluminum tube) and hope that losened things up. As far as actually removing the sending unit I will have to remove those hoses and the brackets that hold the tank in and hopefully be able to move the tank the 1" I need. Not sure what the bracket screws attach to just hope I don't hear a nut drop off inside the hull when I'm losening it!

JimN
09-03-2011, 10:29 PM
For now I just blew compressed air in a small vent hole for the float (inside aluminum tube) and hope that losened things up. As far as actually removing the sending unit I will have to remove those hoses and the brackets that hold the tank in and hopefully be able to move the tank the 1" I need. Not sure what the bracket screws attach to just hope I don't hear a nut drop off inside the hull when I'm losening it!

The brackets are shaped kind of like a Z, laying on its side and they're screwed into the fiberglass with 2 stainless screws. Remove the rear seat- it's easier, doesn't take a lot of time and you won't lose anything. If you have never greased the steering or rudder, that would be a good time.

mmasters
09-03-2011, 11:49 PM
I loosened 4 screws on two brackets just to make sure I could. Are there cables or a fitting to grease the rudder behind the tank?

coz
09-04-2011, 02:01 AM
I loosened 4 screws on two brackets just to make sure I could. Are there cables or a fitting to grease the rudder behind the tank?

Yes, there's a fitting on the rudder to grease, hit it while you're there.

The brackets are shaped kind of like a Z, laying on its side and they're screwed into the fiberglass with 2 stainless screws. Remove the rear seat- it's easier, doesn't take a lot of time and you won't lose anything. If you have never greased the steering or rudder, that would be a good time.

In reference to jim's reply about the brackets, here's my original pad before I lost it.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/P4050001.jpg

JimN
09-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Yes, there's a fitting on the rudder to grease, hit it while you're there.

In reference to jim's reply about the brackets, here's my original pad before I lost it.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/P4050001.jpg

I was referring to the brackets on the tank. Looks like someone pried up on the back edge the first time they tried to remove it.