PDA

View Full Version : Brown stain on white bottom - how to remove!

autgbm
09-03-2011, 11:20 AM
We stopped at Four Seasoning marine (Cincinnati, Ohio) for lunch a couple of weeks ago and noticed when leaving the harbor that we had a brown ring around our entire X-30. When I took it out of the water we tried to clean it off but only some of it came off even with a wax cleaner. When we got home I washed it with 2 different types of boat wash and nothing. I've been told by my Mastercraft dealer to try drano but that seems harsh so wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and if you were successful in geting this off your boat. My boat bottom is white so looks real bad (to me).

Thanks for any help!

Gary

mattsn
09-03-2011, 11:41 AM
We stopped at Four Seasoning marine (Cincinnati, Ohio) for lunch a couple of weeks ago and noticed when leaving the harbor that we had a brown ring around our entire X-30. When I took it out of the water we tried to clean it off but only some of it came off even with a wax cleaner. When we got home I washed it with 2 different types of boat wash and nothing. I've been told by my Mastercraft dealer to try drano but that seems harsh so wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and if you were successful in geting this off your boat. My boat bottom is white so looks real bad (to me).

Thanks for any help!

Gary

Toilet bowl cleaner and is not near as harse. Dilute with water and spray on, let set for a few minutes and then rub off. Be sure and hose off the entire boat completely when clean. Also rinse the trailer completely.

gts-20
09-03-2011, 12:57 PM
I just finished cleaning the brown stains from the hull of our 08 PS214 with SNO-BOL toilet cleaner after several recomendations from Fellow TT members. I put it in a spray bottle. sprayed it on, let it sit for about 30 seconds, then rinsed it off. The hull is as white as the day I brought it home from the dealer. Works very well, and my MC dealer said that they use the same thing. Make sure to wear gloves and eye protection, and put a good coat or two of wax on when you are done.

bigmac
09-03-2011, 02:31 PM
There are several products specifically formulated for acid-washing a boat hull. MaryKate's On-Off, Zing, Slimey Grimey, and several others. Why someone would opt to clean their hull using a product designed and concentrated for cleaning a porcelain toilet instead of a gelcoated boat hull has always been a mystery to me.

Jeff d
09-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Also, if you buff out your hull and keep it waxed it will tend to stain less. Last year my whole boat was staining every time I took it out. Over the winter I polished one side and then waxed the whole boat. Now it's only stained on the side that I didn't polish. I'll wait until the winter to acid wash it again and polish the other side.

bigmac
09-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Also, if you buff out your hull and keep it waxed it will tend to stain less. Last year my whole boat was staining every time I took it out. Over the winter I polished one side and then waxed the whole boat. Now it's only stained on the side that I didn't polish. I'll wait until the winter to acid wash it again and polish the other side.

Better is a sealant, like ReJex or Adam's Machine SuperSealant. Either will outlast wax by a wide margin.

Covi
09-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Fsr..........

jdeml
09-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Toilet bowl cleaner and is not near as harse. Dilute with water and spray on, let set for a few minutes and then rub off. Be sure and hose off the entire boat completely when clean. Also rinse the trailer completely.

DO NOT get an in your eyes. Trust me!!!!!

ShawnB
09-06-2011, 10:52 AM
On and Off is amazing stuff. We keep our boat in the water all summer and by the end there's a really good amount of grime on it. On-and-Off and a paintbrush gets it right off and then follow up with a good protectant (wax or otherwise).

Wear a mask and gloves when you use it though because it's caustic as all hell.

autgbm
10-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Thanks to all who responded! I tried Star Bright Instant Hull Cleaner and it worked great. I used a very soft brush that had a long handle on it and slowly brushed the liquid cleaner on my boat bottom, let it sit for 2 minutes and then washed it off with the hose. It looks brand new! Today I'm waxing as the cleaner did take any remaining wax off my boat bottom.

Thx,

Gary

Kevin 89MC
10-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Good to hear. That's what I recommend first, Star Brite Hull Cleaner. In the future if that doesn't clean it up, use Mary Kate's On & Off. That took off my 5 yr old sun baked on crud/scum line like wiping ketchup off your cheek.

thatsmrmastercraft
10-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I picked up some of that but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. Glad to hear it works so well.