PDA

View Full Version : I am off to look at a "77" MC today

americanskierJim
09-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Well guy's another good deal came up on CL. 1977 MC s&s white and red stripe. I am going to go look at it today. So there might just one more boat in the yard later. I will keep you up to date.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Well guy's another good deal came up on CL. 1977 MC s&s white and red stripe. I am going to go look at it today. So there might just one more boat in the yard later. I will keep you up to date.

Definitely my favorite Stars & Stripes color. I hear those 77's can be kinda nice.:rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Looks pretty good in the ad. I expect you will be posting pics of that boat when you bring it home. I bet there is some room for negotiating.

americanskierJim
09-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi Peter, We picked it up and at a great price. I will post some pics this weekend. It is only missing the motor but not a big deal. I am wondering with this boat if we can put a RH turn motor in it?? It is not a powerslot any thought's?

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Rudder offset is the largest factor that I am aware of. Does it have the windshield?

americanskierJim
09-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Sent phone pic of glass to your phone.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks Jim.........looks fantastic. I have windshield envy.:rolleyes: Can't wait to see the shots of the boat when you get them posted. What a great project.

CantRepeat
09-03-2011, 06:43 PM

I like where this build thread is headed!! :D

psychobilly
09-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Put one of these in her!!! :D ;) :cool:

http://www.boattest.com/engine-review/PCM-Marine-Engines/315_Excalibur--343

americanskierJim
09-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Psychobilly, What a great choice for the heart beat. I like that motor wonder how much that cost???

BROUSSARD
09-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Just curious, but why would you want a rh turn motor?

americanskierJim
09-04-2011, 03:21 PM
BROUSSARD, A right hand trun is easy to come by. But it is all up in the air right now. I have been thinking about putting a BB 454 in it. Time will tell what comes out in the end.

03geetee
09-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Congrats Jim! Great news to see you back at what you do best.

Good luck!

JTR

americanskierJim
09-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Congrats Jim! Great news to see you back at what you do best.

Good luck!

JTR

Thanks Geetee, It is nice to have support and hear your input. That is what keeps me going. Thank you all.

americanskierJim
09-05-2011, 12:31 AM
Here are some pics of the "77".

Tryed to upload them and they will not post hmmmmm.

Double D
09-05-2011, 12:44 AM
Here are some pics of the "77".

Tryed to upload them and they will not post hmmmmm.

Waiting.............. patiently ........... :wavey:

thatsmrmastercraft
09-05-2011, 01:44 AM
C'mon Jim, this isn't rocket science. Get with it and post those pics.

In case you forgot how to post pics.............

1. Click Paperclip icon
2. Click Browse button
3. Locate the picture in your computer and click on it
4. Click Upload button ( to the right of the Browse button)
5. Once picture is uploaded (it will take a moment or two) it will show as Current Attachment
6. Click Close Window button
7. After you have entered text, use Preview Post button to make sure you selected the proper picture.

Usually only have to post this for newbs.:rolleyes::D

americanskierJim
09-05-2011, 04:58 PM
This not my boat but I am looking for the windscreen end caps Mine are missing. Anyone have a pair for sale?

americanskierJim
09-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Still having trouble DL pic's. I will get some posted soon. But I have the Front and Rear grill's being made from aluminum. I also orderd new stringer boards they run $160.oo PER 16 foot. I will be cutting the old stringers out today. I will also be pulling the deck off. I am going to go into this boat deeper than the LTD. I might as well be safe rather then sorry when the big block gets placed.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Still having trouble DL pic's. I will get some posted soon. But I have the Front and Rear grill's being made from aluminum. I also orderd new stringer boards they run $160.oo PER 16 foot. I will be cutting the old stringers out today. I will also be pulling the deck off. I am going to go into this boat deeper than the LTD. I might as well be safe rather then sorry when the big block gets placed.

Email the pics to me and I will post them for you.:rolleyes:

americanskierJim
09-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Email the pics to me and I will post them for you.:rolleyes:

Peter, Send me a PM with your email and I will get them to you. Thanks

thatsmrmastercraft
09-11-2011, 09:24 PM
In case there is any doubt............... I am the man.:rolleyes:

Great looking boat Jim!

bbymgr
09-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Can't wait to see what you do with this one Jim. Your going to have to change your name to MCrestoreJim.:)

americanskierJim
09-11-2011, 10:37 PM
WOW Peter, A million thanks to for getting the pic's for me. I also got your PM.

americanskierJim
09-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Can't wait to see what you do with this one Jim. Your going to have to change your name to MCrestoreJim.:)

bbymgr, I like the new handle MCrestore it fits so well. Keep looking in from time to time so see the updates on it. I have some big plans for this one.

DemolitionMan
09-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Jim looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you.

americanskierJim
09-11-2011, 10:53 PM
I do have all the interior pices with new skins on them. Only thing missing is the windsheild end caps, pylon and motor.

Demo, Nothing is impossible but it's going to take some time to do this one right. I might end up like you did. I will be re-geling it to a diffrent color.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-11-2011, 11:07 PM
What color are you thinking Jim?

americanskierJim
09-12-2011, 09:50 PM
I have been looking at my color charts and it is a toss up with 5 diffrent color scheme's. I will narrow it down when I get closer to getting it done.

americanskierJim
12-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Well I know it has been awhile since I have been on. For the latest on the "77" I have removed the floor and started to work on the stringers. I am also making the the front and rear grills out of billet just like the "LTD". I am not sure how much I will be getting done on this boat over the winter. But I am going to take my time on this one and have some fun. I will keep posting with updates.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-03-2011, 10:35 PM
Good to hear that you are still plugging away Jim.

americanskierJim
12-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Good to hear that you are still plugging away Jim.

Hi Peter, I am going to try and do some work on it this weekend. I have been looking around for the new powerplant I am going to be putting a Chevy 454 in this one. Hope we have some Barefooters to try this one out when its done.

bailey78
12-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm there!!!!! 454/slot???? maybe a safe-t-top???? to top it all off. might have a buyer here.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-08-2011, 09:26 PM
I'm there!!!!! 454/slot???? maybe a safe-t-top???? to top it all off. might have a buyer here.

Is that the old 4th street bridge in your avatar pic?

thatsmrmastercraft
12-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Hi Peter, I am going to try and do some work on it this weekend. I have been looking around for the new powerplant I am going to be putting a Chevy 454 in this one. Hope we have some Barefooters to try this one out when its done.

That will he a blast when you are done.:cool:

americanskierJim
12-21-2011, 08:47 PM

HI Bailey, Sweet glad you want to give it a try when it's done. It is not a slot its a 1:1 trans. May I ask what is a safe-t-top??? When it is done I might want to sell the boat.

americanskierJim
12-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Well I was digging around tonight on CL. and I found 2 marine chevy 327 motors with the trans on them. One a right and other a left hand twist. I called the number and talk to the owner of the motors. He was asking $800.00 For the both of them. I offerd $400.00 for the left hand motor and said "Toss in a nother hundred and I will give you both of them". I am going to be picking them up after Christmas. Here are the pics of them.

Jerseydave
12-21-2011, 10:29 PM
this is what a safe-t-top looks like on my '93

I think it would look great on your year since it's a bit more square than the '93 hull

Jerseydave
12-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Well I was digging around tonight on CL. and I found 2 marine chevy 327 motors with the trans on them. One a right and other a left hand twist. I called the number and talk to the owner of the motors. He was asking $800.00 For the both of them. I offerd $400.00 for the left hand motor and said "Toss in a nother hundred and I will give you both of them". I am going to be picking them up after Christmas. Here are the pics of them.

wow, you sure they are chevy motors? Looks like the trans is bolted to the front of the crankshaft and the alt is driven off the flywheel?

Cloaked
12-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Well I was digging around tonight on CL. and I found 2 marine chevy 327 motors with the trans on them. One a right and other a left hand twist. I called the number and talk to the owner of the motors. He was asking $800.00 For the both of them. I offerd $400.00 for the left hand motor and said "Toss in a nother hundred and I will give you both of them". I am going to be picking them up after Christmas. Here are the pics of them.What are your plans for one or both?

psychobilly
12-22-2011, 03:53 AM
wow, you sure they are chevy motors? Looks like the trans is bolted to the front of the crankshaft and the alt is driven off the flywheel?

Those are some really old motors and they used to run off the front of the motors. I think I remember reading about these motors a while back in a wood boat forum I hang around and lurk in. If it's the ones, the old Chris Craft was rotted out and instead of cold molding to fix the old wooden hull they choped it up with a chain saw. It apears that these old motors are still sitting on the boats motor stringers. Not uncommon for the age... Sorry I don't know more but you can do a search on the net and read about these old motor set ups. I know a guy that's building a new/old style mohogany runabout and has one of these old motors totally rebuilt in it.

You can go here and read a lil about a Chris Craft 283 Flywheel Foeward...

http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10276&p=71094&hilit=flywheel+forward#p71094

TRBenj
12-22-2011, 09:54 AM
I agree, those motors predate the boat by 15+ years. 327 could be either Chevy or AMC.

By the way, RH = reverse rotation. LH = standard (automotive) rotation. Some MC's used RH engines in the mid-late 70's, but they primarily used (and still use) LH stuff. You can tell which way the old motor spun by looking at the prop.

americanskierJim
12-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Those are some really old motors and they used to run off the front of the motors. I think I remember reading about these motors a while back in a wood boat forum I hang around and lurk in. If it's the ones, the old Chris Craft was rotted out and instead of cold molding to fix the old wooden hull they choped it up with a chain saw. It apears that these old motors are still sitting on the boats motor stringers. Not uncommon for the age... Sorry I don't know more but you can do a search on the net and read about these old motor set ups. I know a guy that's building a new/old style mohogany runabout and has one of these old motors totally rebuilt in it.

You can go here and read a lil about a Chris Craft 283 Flywheel Foeward...

http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10276&p=71094&hilit=flywheel+forward#p71094

Thank you for the info on the site I joined it. I am going to look more into this kind of motor to put in the boat. I have heard that they put out some big HP. I am not sure I will have to talk with some guys that have run this kind of motor in there boat on the Glen chat. But even if the motor pre dates the boat it would still be kewl to have a rearfacing motor in an MC. That is if I can get it to work right.

psychobilly
12-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Well one thangs fer sure as Bob Barker used ta say, "the price is right!" hehehehe

americanskierJim
02-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Well I didn't go pick up the motor. It looks like to much work and I have plenty to do to this one. I was asking around if any one had a BB 454 for sale. I did come across one. It is all there I picked it up for $600.00. Now time to find all the motor parts I will need to get to marine ready.
I also painted boat for the owner of the machine shop. So in return he has been working on cutting new front and rear grills with the MC logo in them. I will post pics when I get them polished and looking SWEET.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-03-2012, 06:57 PM
Glad to hear you found a 454 for the boat. That will sure be a lot of fun.

psychobilly
02-03-2012, 09:48 PM
HEHEHE you will have THE TOW boat of any lake you're on! HEHEHE you could even pull a 40' yacht with her!!!!!!!

americanskierJim
04-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Well after long thought about redoing this one is alittle bit much for me. I will sell it whole or I can part it out. So if there is anyone looking for 77 parts I will take pics for you of what I have. Or make me an offer for it all.

tph
04-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Well after long thought about redoing this one is alittle bit much for me. I will sell it whole or I can part it out. So if there is anyone looking for 77 parts I will take pics for you of what I have. Or make me an offer for it all.

Thatsmrmastercraft may want the windshield.