PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump went out

James O'Keefe
08-01-2005, 10:53 PM
I have '93 205 with the 351HO (285 hp). I just drop it in the water tonight and the engine (and exhaust) were a little louder than normal. I noticed the impeller itself had a lot of side to side movement when the engine was running. It kept getting louder, started having a lot more play, started leaking and a little oil came out along with some metal shavings.

My questions:

I assume the small amout of oil was from the bearing itself, and then once the bearing went the seal went causing it to leak???

Why would the bearing go out in the first place, boat only has ~450hrs.

I am hoping the the crankshaft/flange is not the cause of the movement/play.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Could the bracket have been causing the pump to be out of alignment, causing premature bearing failure?

Is this the replacement I would need?
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=JOH10-24232-1

Thanks ahead for any info. I'd love to get the pump on order first thing tomorrow and get her back on the water....

BriEOD
08-01-2005, 10:57 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you. If no one on here gives you a good answer make sure when you call DIM tomorrow and talk to Vince. He is the service manager and a plethra of information on inboards.

jimmer2880
08-02-2005, 06:50 AM
I don't know if it's relevant - but my raw water pump does have a slight wobble while it's running (the whole pump, not just the impeller, etc). Been like that for 800 hours & still going.

James O'Keefe
08-02-2005, 07:48 AM
I think mine has had a wobble for a while too, just has gotten worse recently

School Skier
08-02-2005, 08:25 AM
Mine wobbles too! 97 Prostar 190. I don't remember when it didn't. 840 hours worth.

wesgardner
08-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Mine wobbles....my bearing was kinda crunchy when I bought the boat (leaked too) so I just replaced the entire pump $100 from skiDIM...
My assumption is there's nothing wrong, just age? and luck (or lack thereof)...things break....

Wes