PDA

View Full Version : Octane busters and engine cleaners

hadzinak
09-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Does anyone have an opinion regarding fuel additives that act as octane boosters and engine cleaners ?

tommcat
09-02-2011, 12:52 PM
for the most part, octane boosters that you buy in stores do absolutely nothing to increase octane. there are a couple that work a little and the only one that has ever actually worked for me(and has been tested to work) is Lucas octane booster.
i guess first off though i should ask exactly what you are trying to achieve, or why you need an octane booster?

DemolitionMan
09-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Does anyone have an opinion regarding fuel additives that act as octane boosters and engine cleaners ?

You need fuel additives for $10.00 per gallon gas.:shocked:

hadzinak
09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
I just want to keep the engine alive longer... I thought that by using some kind of cleaner or an octane booster I would prolong my engine's life

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
09-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Use clean fuel from a good source, change oil on time, keep maintenance up to date and engine running properly and you won't get sludge and thus no need for 'snake oil' products

tommcat
09-02-2011, 05:31 PM
I just want to keep the engine alive longer... I thought that by using some kind of cleaner or an octane booster I would prolong my engine's life

nope. the only thing i'd suggest you use on a regular basis is startron fuel treatment. it isnt a cleaner or octane boost specifically but it is designed to counter the bad effects of ethanol blended fuel. it's a stabilizer mostly but does have some cleaning properties, we use it in all of our boats, snowmobiles and small engine equipment and it really works.

Yellow X9
09-02-2011, 07:31 PM
VP race gas- Try a couple af gallon of the U42- 92 octane, oxyginated, I use this in my truck and Race bike- great cleaner for the fuel system, injectors,etc. I use a gallon to a tank full on the bike, 3 gallons to a tank in my truck and boat-and have for the past 2yrs, no issues. $10.50 a gallon, be prepared if u thought $3.50 a gallon was something. I do this about once evry 2.5 mo's in the boat and truck and everytime on the bike. Your spark plugs will never look that clean, except when u bought them

Added bonus- its a 3-6hp gain just of the gas it self

Jeff d
09-02-2011, 08:26 PM
1) Those little bottles of octane booster claim to boost octane by a certain number of "points". These "Points" equate to like .1 or .01 on the normal R+M/2 or RON. So, add them to the specified amount of 87 octane and you will likely end up with a whopping 87.1 octane tank of gas.

2) The octane rating on gas has no direct implications on the quality of the fuel although some brands add more detergents and what not to their "premium" fuels. Read up on what octane really is and why different octane levels are offered and you will see that there's no benefit to running higher octane than recommended in your owners manual unless you've done aftermarket modifications to increase compression of your engine or installed a forced induction device such as a turbo or super charger.

There is one exception to the rule and that is if it's for long term storage or you're trying to dilute fuel that has been stored for a while. The chemicals in the fuel that give it it's octane rating tend to be a bit volatile and will evaporate out leaving fuel that effectively has lower octane (As well as other factors I'm sure. I'm not a chemist or chemical engineer). I'm making up numbers for illustrative purposes but if you fill up the boat with 87, run 1/2 the tank down and put it up for 6 months you may have a 1/2 tank of 80 octane gas when you go to run it again. You might want to top it off with 93 before you run it. By the same logic you could fill the tank all the way up with 93 for winter storage and have something like 87 in the spring.

Just use good quality fuel, preferably non-ethanol if you can get it in your area, and don't waste money/risk damage with additives. If you want to run a fuel system cleaner through it once a season or so Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner and Sea Foam tend to have a good reputation although you really will just find anecdotal evidence that they actually do anything at all.

tommcat
09-02-2011, 10:45 PM
jeff, basically good advice. a few things i'd add, they've found through extensive testing that ethanol blended fuel actually starts to break down within a few weeks of sitting and from there loses on average of about 1 octane point a month. so for that reason we completely drain the fuel after storage even if stored with a good stabilizer.
seafoam does work ok, we've found techron doesnt really do much in general and does absolutely nothing for ethanol issues. stabil marine(blue bottle) works well but the best is startron. yamaha, honda, arctic cat and many other small engine manufactures highly recommend it due to the severe issues e10 causes. and now the gov has approved e15 blends so the problems are only going to get worse.
and keep in mind, none of the additives are going to do anything to improve the performance of fresh gas of the correct octane, the purpose of using them is to prevent the decay of that fuel and the damage it causes to your engine. ethanol doesnt just gum up like gas used to, it breaks down rubbers, plastics and fiberglass and can eat some metals. not to mention the effects of phase separation, which is when the ethanol separates from the gasoline. the ethanol is where the majority of the "octane" is from so when that splits from the gas you could be left with 70 octane gas in your tank.
ethanol also absorbs moisture directly out of the air so it will create water in your fuel.

overall, it's bad stuff

Jeff d
09-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Since I'm in Southern Louisiana, the boat never sits up for more than 2-3 months, and I can still get non ethanol fuel I don't mess with fuel stabilizer. I'd be more inclined to do it if we had longer winters and or I could only get fuel with ethanol. I do put stabilizer in my generator though.

ctjahn
09-03-2011, 09:10 AM
I always thought octane boosters and oil additives were useless but zmax has me thinking...about it. (no real decernable evidence) Only use Stabil blue thus far.

Good topic
cj

hadzinak
09-03-2011, 10:32 AM
The least octane fuel in Greece is 95oct and then we have 98 and 100 octane petrol. What is ethanol and non ethanol fuel?

Jeff d
09-03-2011, 10:53 AM
The least octane fuel in Greece is 95oct and then we have 98 and 100 octane petrol. What is ethanol and non ethanol fuel?

Internationally there are several different standards for measuring octane. R+M/2 (Also called AKI) is the standard that you'd see listed on the pumps in the US. You guys probably see RON (Research Octane Number) in Greece. 90 in R+M/2 would approximately equate to 95 RON. So, if it's RON your 100 would be equivalent to something like 95 here in the US which is a bit higher than we typically see at the pumps.

At close to sea level in the US we typically see 87, 89 and 93. At higher elevations you'll see 85 for regular and 89-91 for premium. Due to the decreased oxygen content of a given volume of air at higher elevations it's typical to run a little bit lower octane rating to support better combustion. Back when gas was like $0.89 per gallon I remember some stations had 4th "super premium" fuels with somewhere around 100-105 octane but I haven't seen that at a normal gas station in years.

Ethanol is an alcohol that is used to increase the octane level of fuel which was supposed to be more environmentally friendly than octane boosters previously used. Here in the US it is only made in significant quantities from corn which in addition to all of the fuel system related problems has introduced competition between our food and fuel markets as well as many other unintended cosequences. The government heavily subsidizes corn ethanol here and now many of the environmental groups that pushed for ethanol mandates are fighting to get rid of it because it presents its own set of issues.

bigmac
09-03-2011, 01:37 PM

Like oil additives, gasoline additives are snake oil sold by hucksters and used by people susceptible to advertising no more sophisticated than a sticker on the side of a NASCAR car.

mikeg205
09-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Just use seafoam I use 3 bottles a year first tank, mid season and winterize. Use marine stabil due to lack of on ethanol gas in my area....one of the gear head tv shows tested seafoam against stabil and witnessed that seafoam will stabilize gas up to a year while stabil only stabilized for 90 days.....Use seafoam in outboards I have in Ontario, CA. These engines are used for 3 weeks a year and layup for 49. Also use premium...due to lack of 89 octane availability in Kenora ontario....1986 Johnson and 1993 Mariner...start up first start every summer. My 1995 Pro Star lays up for 5 months in Chicago... starts first try in late spring...I also winterize with Marvel Mystery Oil directly in fuel intake to fog.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Just use seafoam I use 3 bottles a year first tank, mid season and winterize. Use marine stabil due to lack of on ethanol gas in my area....one of the gear head tv shows tested seafoam against stabil and witnessed that seafoam will stabilize gas up to a year while stabil only stabilized for 90 days.....Use seafoam in outboards I have in Ontario, CA. These engines are used for 3 weeks a year and layup for 49. Also use premium...due to lack of 89 octane availability in Kenora ontario....1986 Johnson and 1993 Mariner...start up first start every summer. My 1995 Pro Star lays up for 5 months in Chicago... starts first try in late spring...I also winterize with Marvel Mystery Oil directly in fuel intake to fog.

Interesting note on the stabil being only good for 90 days.

MasterKraftS&S
09-09-2011, 08:41 PM
My 1995 Pro Star lays up for 5 months in Chicago... starts first try in late spring...I also winterize with Marvel Mystery Oil directly in fuel intake to fog.

Maybe more common than I know , but this is the 2nd reference TODAY to Mystery Oil - The other was a young girl in an auto forum following G'pas advice - Interesting!:rolleyes:

tommcat
09-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Like oil additives, gasoline additives are snake oil sold by hucksters and used by people susceptible to advertising no more sophisticated than a sticker on the side of a NASCAR car.

wrong!

some of them yes but not all additives are useless

tommcat
09-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Maybe more common than I know , but this is the 2nd reference TODAY to Mystery Oil - The other was a young girl in an auto forum following G'pas advice - Interesting!:rolleyes:

any lighweight oil will do the same thing. there is nothing special about marvel

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2011, 01:45 AM
wrong!

some of them yes but not all additives are useless

Most fuel additives are nothing but kerosene. Of course so is jet fuel.

tommcat
09-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Most fuel additives are nothing but kerosene. Of course so is jet fuel.well no matter what they are made of if they work then they are not worthless.
cetane boost is one of the best examples of an additive that clearly works, fuel stabilizers are another.

now the ones that make magical claimes about adding 15% horsepower or fixing your check engine light problems are an example of snake oil and are worthless.

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2011, 12:29 PM
well no matter what they are made of if they work then they are not worthless.
cetane boost is one of the best examples of an additive that clearly works, fuel stabilizers are another.

now the ones that make magical claimes about adding 15% horsepower or fixing your check engine light problems are an example of snake oil and are worthless.

We all know if you really want to make a difference in performance you go with the Tornado.:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.tornadoair.com/buy1/

tommcat
09-10-2011, 12:31 PM
We all know if you really want to make a difference in performance you go with the Tornado.:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.tornadoair.com/buy1/

you'd be amazed how many of those i see in customers cars:rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2011, 12:46 PM
you'd be amazed how many of those i see in customers cars:rolleyes:

It is truly amazing. Makes me wonder why I am not selling some piece of crap using an infomercial late night on TV:rolleyes:

tommcat
09-10-2011, 01:12 PM
It is truly amazing. Makes me wonder why I am not selling some piece of crap using an infomercial late night on TV:rolleyes:

i invent stuff like that in my head all the time and think i should patent and sell it, then i start thinking i'm being ridiculous and "who would actually buy that?" and that's the end of it. then i see the same exact thing on tv a year later and kick myself in the ***:mad:

thatsmrmastercraft
09-10-2011, 01:27 PM
i invent stuff like that in my head all the time and think i should patent and sell it, then i start thinking i'm being ridiculous and "who would actually buy that?" and that's the end of it. then i see the same exact thing on tv a year later and kick myself in the ***:mad:

I've had a few of those over the years myself.:confused:

mikeg205
09-11-2011, 08:50 PM
any lighweight oil will do the same thing. there is nothing special about marvel

but the bottle is cool....:rolleyes::D

1redTA
09-11-2011, 10:14 PM
I talked with a co worker who tried to convince me that Browns Gas ( hydrogen generator ) got him 15% increase in gas mileage, cleaned his engine and was part of a conspiracy from the big three

tommcat
09-12-2011, 07:25 AM
I talked with a co worker who tried to convince me that Browns Gas ( hydrogen generator ) got him 15% increase in gas mileage, cleaned his engine and was part of a conspiracy from the big three

was he wearing a tinfoil hat at the time?