PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes

jdjob
08-01-2005, 10:51 PM
I read the discussion on Trailer Brakes with great interest. My problem sounds much worse, but may stem from similar issues? I wondered if any of you could comment on what happened to me today. By the way I have a 2003 MasterCraft X2 on a 2003 "Sport Boat" trailer. Basically the problem is that my back right trailer brake periodically engages (for no apparent reason) while being towed! I first noticed it when I could no longer accelerate while towing. I pulled over and the back right tire was smoking. After letting it cool down a bit I tried again. Amazingly it worked fine. I knew better than to think all was well so I headed toward home when it happened again! I'm having it towed to the MC dealer tomorrow but would appreciate any advice you might have.
Thank you,
J.C.

jimmer2880
08-02-2005, 06:48 AM
It sounds like your brake caliper is too sensitive & the nut needs to be backed off a bit. What I think is happening is that your brakes are being used excesively (spelling nazi here?) causing your brakes to heat up. When drum brakes heat up they may lock themselves & not release. It happens to tractor trailers more frequently.

But - I could be wrong... take this info with a grain of salt.

jdjob
08-02-2005, 11:03 AM
That sounds like a very likely explanation. I'm having it towed to the MC dealer today. It just doesn't feel safe to drive it when, at any moment the brakes may engage. Hopefully the towing people know what they're doing! Thanks again for your input. -JC-

Workin' 4 Toys
08-02-2005, 11:13 AM
That sounds like a very likely explanation. I'm having it towed to the MC dealer today. It just doesn't feel safe to drive it when, at any moment the brakes may engage. Hopefully the towing people know what they're doing! Thanks again for your input. -JC-
Let us know what they tell you.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-08-2005, 10:34 AM
I read the discussion on Trailer Brakes with great interest. My problem sounds much worse, but may stem from similar issues? I wondered if any of you could comment on what happened to me today. By the way I have a 2003 MasterCraft X2 on a 2003 "Sport Boat" trailer. Basically the problem is that my back right trailer brake periodically engages (for no apparent reason) while being towed! I first noticed it when I could no longer accelerate while towing. I pulled over and the back right tire was smoking. After letting it cool down a bit I tried again. Amazingly it worked fine. I knew better than to think all was well so I headed toward home when it happened again! I'm having it towed to the MC dealer tomorrow but would appreciate any advice you might have.
Thank you,
J.C.
Ok, with this situation posted many times previously, and now knowing the exact same issue first hand. I need to know what can be done here. THE RIGHT SIDE ONLY on my trailer locked up friday, the left side was normal. WHAT IS CAUSING THIS?!?!?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Anyone, Anyone,, please advise....

Workin' 4 Toys
08-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Ok, so far I have been told via posts or PM's to either bypass or eliminate the trailer brakes... Is this how we have to handle such repairs??? I am going nuts here. What the H*ll?!?!??!??! :mad:

finbar
08-09-2005, 08:23 PM
I have had the same problem...first on the one side then the other resulting in brakes locking on and overheating and meltdoen of bath bearing caps. Just got the trailer back with new brake calipers, pads and master cylinder. I was told the problem was related to the master cylinder not fully releasing after the brakes being engaged but frankly I do not know that I am convinced about this. Anyway, as my trailer was under warranty they replaced all parts FOC. Whilst this problem appears to be recurring it is obviously not common enough to allow easy diagnosis (I assume my dealer/MC would have otherwise preferred not to replace essentially the entire braking system).

Chris M
08-09-2005, 11:42 PM
I was trailering my o4 ps 197 tonite, I noticed the same thing on my trailer tire. When i backed it in the water the brake just started steaming. When we got home from skiing, My oil bath bearing hub was to hot to touch. Anbd I think my warrant is up on the trailer.

6ballsisall
08-09-2005, 11:47 PM
Alot of brake problems on newer MC's. I wonder who makes the trailers for MC?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-10-2005, 12:40 AM
MC makes their own trailers. Obviosly not the parts like brakes and hubs, but they build them. ironically I come to find out it is known to the world that 2003 MC trailers have had well known brake issues. But of course out of warranty is out of warranty as we have seen with the pinky seats thread. I just bit the bullet and ordered both new calipers. Yes dropped another approx $200bones just to be able to tow the thing around, but if it is the fix, whatever. I am tired of trying to figure out what is right, I am going to start changing parts to make it better than new again, and see if I can get her to hold up a few more years. I may send the bad calipers into my buddies shop and see if they were in fact built improperly. Not that I really care much, but I would like to know if it was my fault somehow, or the manu. I will post the results if it in fact did the trick.
Perhaps I may even post a picture of the temporary fix some of you may appreciate. :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
08-10-2005, 12:43 AM
I have had the same problem...first on the one side then the other resulting in brakes locking on and overheating and meltdoen of bath bearing caps. Just got the trailer back with new brake calipers, pads and master cylinder. I was told the problem was related to the master cylinder not fully releasing after the brakes being engaged but frankly I do not know that I am convinced about this. Anyway, as my trailer was under warranty they replaced all parts FOC. Whilst this problem appears to be recurring it is obviously not common enough to allow easy diagnosis (I assume my dealer/MC would have otherwise preferred not to replace essentially the entire braking system).
I have to wonder if they were guessing at the repair, or if EVERYTHING went bad at once. Gotta love those types of repairs, never really get to find the problem. I have heard these parts are hard to find because there are so many people that need them.

6ballsisall
08-10-2005, 12:43 AM
MC makes their own trailers. Obviosly not the parts like brakes and hubs, but they build them. ironically I come to find out it is known to the world that 2003 MC trailers have had well known brake issues. But of course out of warranty is out of warranty as we have seen with the pinky seats thread. I just bit the bullet and ordered both new calipers. Yes dropped another approx $200bones just to be able to tow the thing around, but if it is the fix, whatever. I am tired of trying to figure out what is right, I am going to start changing parts to make it better than new again, and see if I can get her to hold up a few more years. I may send the bad calipers into my buddies shop and see if they were in fact built improperly. Not that I really care much, but I would like to know if it was my fault somehow, or the manu. I will post the results if it in fact did the trick.
Perhaps I may even post a picture of the temporary fix some of you may appreciate. :rolleyes:

I am curious as to hows axle they use. I have seen certain brand axles have more issues with hub assemblies and brakes than others back in my day in the biz

Workin' 4 Toys
08-10-2005, 12:51 AM
I am curious as to hows axle they use. I have seen certain brand axles have more issues with hub assemblies and brakes than others back in my day in the biz
I want to know what the guys that operate trailer in salt water do if we can't keep fresh water system from seizing up. Maybe an all stainless steel and brass system is in my future. (not really) perhaps I weld the tongue solid and pull the calipers and lines all together. Then send it to the local blast shop and then to the powdercoater. That would fix it for awhile. My truck isn't effected by the measly 4000#'s anyway, but if I sell it someday will that prevent a sale? Hmmm... I wonder..

Workin' 4 Toys
08-12-2005, 12:56 AM
No salt water trailers out there huh, or maybe none still functioning.

victor
08-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Is it possible you have an actuator for drum brakes on a trailer with disc brakes?

I am asking, because I read the following warning at the UFP.net website.

! CAUTION
If you are retrofitting disc brakes onto a trailer previously fitted with drum brakes, a check valve inside the actuator master cylinder must be disabled. See the disc brake installation instructions. It you do not disable the check valve, the disc
brakes will remain pressurized, causing them to drag and overheat.

jdjob
08-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Hi Gang,
I am still waiting for my trailer repairs to BEGIN! I had my boat towed to the MC shop over 2 weeks ago but they are so backed up it will still be a while. I will most certainly post the results of my trailer brake issues but I greatly appreciate all of your input. It certainly sounds like this is a common problem for MC trailers and seems like some type of accomodation is deserved.
JC

Workin' 4 Toys
08-30-2005, 09:28 PM
Hi Gang,
I am still waiting for my trailer repairs to BEGIN! I had my boat towed to the MC shop over 2 weeks ago but they are so backed up it will still be a while. I will most certainly post the results of my trailer brake issues but I greatly appreciate all of your input. It certainly sounds like this is a common problem for MC trailers and seems like some type of accomodation is deserved.
JC
I have noticed the new calipers I just received in the mail are different looking than the factory ones on the trailer. I hope they fit properly and do not cause a future problem. Dealer said I should do both sides because it is a common problem, and if I only replaced one side, the other would lock up. I still am not sure why I am doing this myself and not under warranty. But whatever.

DanC
08-31-2005, 12:26 PM
Just to be clear here.

Yes Mastercraft makes their own trailers now, but it is up to the DEALER to decide what to supply with the boat (well actually the buyer decides what to buy, but the dealer decides what is on the lot). JDJOB has a SPORT BOAT trailer, not a MasterCraft trailer. His dealer decided to supply a Sport Boat brand trailer which is a California manufacturer. The dealer then pockets or passes on the ~$400 savings (trailers aren't that much different in price but you don't have to pay for cross country shipping). If I walk down the street here and look at the MasterCraft boats at the dealership, I will not see ANY MasterCraft trailers. If I drive and hour to a different MasterCraft dealer, I will see nothing BUT MasterCraft trailers.

JDDOG, good luck with your Sport Boat trailer. I'm guessing what dealer you used since you're from Davis. That dealer sells both MCs and Malibus on Sport Boat trailers. I think my local Malibu dealer quit selling Sport Boat trailers. Also keep an eye on your torsion axels, there was a bad lot of them sold by the OEM in the '03 time frame.

jdjob
09-07-2005, 01:36 PM
So... I was the one who originally posted about my trailer brakes on my 2003 MasterCraft X2 locking up on the freeway. I had the boat/trailer towed, (on a flat-bed tow truck), to the MC dealer on Aug 1st to have it fixed. Finally, the mechanic got a chance to take a look at it last week (1st week in Sept). He says that the problem was the trailer struts had "settled" over the past two years and had caused the wheel wells on the trailer to rub on the tires. He says the rubbing caused the brakes to engage which is why, when we let things cool down a bit, we could drive a few miles before they locked up again. So... he had to adjust the struts and the rear axel itself to prevent this rubbing from happening in the future. He said that this type of thing happens all the time. The trailer repairs are only covered for the first owner so we, (the second owners) are out of luck as far as the warrantee goes. I just thought someone might want to hear the apparent resolution of this issue. I just hope that these adjustments fix the problem, as I've seen lots of other posts at this point where it has taken a number of trips to the dealer to actually resolve trailer issues. If indeed, the problems reoccur, I'll let you know. Keep your fingers crossed for me. The heat of the summer is virtually over and I've only had my new boat out a handfull of times. :(

jdjob
09-07-2005, 01:39 PM
It sounds like you were correct DanC. They did indeed replace the torsion axels. Seems like a manufacturer defect to me but... I'll just be happy to have my boat back!
Thanks again,
jdjob

DanC
09-07-2005, 01:47 PM
It sounds like you were correct DanC. They did indeed replace the torsion axels. Seems like a manufacturer defect to me but... I'll just be happy to have my boat back!
Thanks again,
jdjob

Yes it was a manufacturer defect and even admitted by the axel manufacturer. However, their policy was to only replace ones that failed "right away". If they didn't fail "right away" then they must be ok :rolleyes:

Ric
09-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Well I might add to this thread with another one :mad:
my 05 trailer worked rather well for the first month or so I've towed it but allofasudden it's got a caliper that's grabbing or rubbing intermittently making a clinking or rattling noise when towing
hit the brakes and the clinking is gone.
I raise the trailer and rotate the wheel and I hear and feel the clinking
take the wheel off and I see the caliper bumping the rotor intermittently which tells me-warped disk.
If I have the known caliper problem like the 03's, why would it have not shown up before now? I don't know but I have some guesses.
Dealer had my boat last week for my infamous oil change and a couple of final promises kept.
I have to wonder if the rough handling of the yard tractor they use to move my boat around (with the tongue latch open) damaged my brake system and caused the calipers to hang or drag consequently heating them and then warping them when I backed into the lake monday?
hmmmmmmmmmmmm salseman is picking up the trailer tomorrow for the ole once over and I'll report it.

he is setting me up with a loaner trailer in the meantime

Kevinmr
08-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Bumping this old thread from the archives. Newbie here...took our (new to us) 2003 X-7 with dual axle MC trailer to the mountains this past weekend. Noticed on several occasions various wheel lockups...usually the left side... after we got to the mountains on trips from the cabin to the ramp. Boat trailering was new to us so we did some driving around up there to get the hang of it (the area we were at was largely deserted this weekend so good for practice).

On the drive down the mountain the trailer locked up at 45 mph or so on a downgrade :eek: ...scared the bejeezus out of me and my wife. Looked in the rear view mirror to see the boat rocking from side to side....I had to downshift our Yukon XL quickly all the way from 3rd to 1st :shocked: to stay in control.

We pulled over, but were basically stuck in the middle of nowhere, so when we were able to get moving again (trailer wheels were no longer stuck) we drove as slow as possible back to the Bay Area....no further problems.

We took the boat/trailer to the mechanic Monday...am awaiting their assessment. Meanwhile, the thought of the same thing happening on a downgrade makes us want to stick to the flat land.

thijs
08-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Yikes, let us know what the reason was for. Sounds like the surge brake was kicking in hard core!! We are taking our first through rocky moutain trip in two weeks. We have a 94PS205 with the tandem trailer. Id hate to have been able to prevented the same thing happening to us!!!

P.S.- Welcome!!

Kevinmr
08-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Mechanic said defective calipers...will replace today and we'll pick it up tomorrow. Reading around it appears that was a common problem with trailers of that year. Good luck with your trip and thanks for the welcome.

thijs
08-11-2006, 07:22 PM
No problem bud!

thijs
09-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Well the worst did happen. We have drums on our tandem, and going down a big honkin hill I noticed omy right rear smoking. there was nothing I could do. I was on a very narrow windy steep grade stuck b/h a 18 wheeler. I wasnt riding my brakes and was using my gears, but the surge cooked off the right rear so bad that the adhesive melted and the padding came right off the backing!!!

We had that wheel rebraked and adjusted and carried on to get to the lake (not enough parts in that small town to do all 4). Once we got to Osoyoos I noticed the left rear was a little not (not quite smoking). So because we hit our destination for the next two weeks we had all four brake shoes done and adjusted. Then on our way home the right rear was heating to smoking on down grades. We stopped twice to have that brake backed off, but it continued to heat up until we got home, no matter the adjustments. It doubled the 19 hour trip and everyone in our party were quite steaming.

We have the boat in getting winterized and brakes done, let you know if they come up with something more than just "Those guys must not have adjusted them properly".

At least the MC trailer looks good, even if you cant drive it in city traffic or through the mountains.

:(

thijs
10-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Here is a pic of our little girl on her PIA trailer. Yes what is says is true; you do have to pull the hub to get the adjuster screw as the axel partially covers the access slot from the back of the assembly :(

Archimedes
10-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Just to be clear here.

Yes Mastercraft makes their own trailers now, but it is up to the DEALER to decide what to supply with the boat (well actually the buyer decides what to buy, but the dealer decides what is on the lot). JDJOB has a SPORT BOAT trailer, not a MasterCraft trailer. His dealer decided to supply a Sport Boat brand trailer which is a California manufacturer. The dealer then pockets or passes on the ~$400 savings (trailers aren't that much different in price but you don't have to pay for cross country shipping). If I walk down the street here and look at the MasterCraft boats at the dealership, I will not see ANY MasterCraft trailers. If I drive and hour to a different MasterCraft dealer, I will see nothing BUT MasterCraft trailers.

JDDOG, good luck with your Sport Boat trailer. I'm guessing what dealer you used since you're from Davis. That dealer sells both MCs and Malibus on Sport Boat trailers. I think my local Malibu dealer quit selling Sport Boat trailers. Also keep an eye on your torsion axels, there was a bad lot of them sold by the OEM in the '03 time frame.

And that dealer who shall remain nameless that you walk down the street to and see nothing but sport boat trailers will try to charge you $1,500 MORE for the 'superior' sport boat trailer that they actually paid LESS for.